Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2011, 03:45 AM   #1 
pattihi

Should I euthanize Bernie?

He started having symptoms of dropsy about 3 weeks ago, and still has that pine cone look. He hasn't eaten in weeks, and doesn't swim around much at all anymore. He just floats in one spot near the surface of the water, every once in a while, blowing a bubble, or breathing, occasionally moving a little. He seems to move less and less every day, although if I try to catch him, he darts away pretty quickly. I hate to see him like this and have put off euthanizing him because I was hopeful that he'd get better. I treated him twice (2 courses) w/ Maracyn and Maracyn II and epsom salts, but currently just have him in plain water w/conditioner. I almost get up every morning expecting to find him dead, but he's not. I just hate to think he's suffering a lot.

I appreciate everyone's advice in the past. Suggestions?
pattihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:16 AM   #2 
Gloria

Im so sorry to hear your little guy has Dropsy. I lost my favourite boy about 2 months ago from dropsy, its a horrible site. If he's been like this for that long, I personally would end his suffering..
Im really sorry. be ok
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:00 AM   #3 
Myates

I'm sorry to hear about your little guy.. unfortunately, once they get to the pine cone stage (whether it be dropsy or something else), it's rare for them to make a full recovery. Most of the time once that happens, shortly after they pass.
Honestly, I would euthanize him.. as if the proper medication (if done correctly) has had little to no effect and if he can't live even a semi-normal life.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote