Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #1 
purplemuffin

Help with our pond!

Okay, so we are moving. The good news is this means we can start building our "Final" pond for our pond fish! We currently have 3 koi, 1 shubunkin goldfish, and 1 ryukin goldfish(though I am trying to convince my parents to separate him to a smaller pond or tank, but they want to wait until we are officially moved in to the house)

So if we get the ryukin taken out, that's just 4 fish, three of which are koi and one is a goldfish.

How many gallons should we shoot for? And what filtration level, etc? We have plenty of space long and wide and can dig deep as well as add rocks and raise it slightly off the ground for more depth!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #2 
BettaMiah

If its a pond which meets the requirements, then stick to filtering the exact amount of how much the pond actually holds. Instead of double filtering like you would for a tank or overstocked pond.

I give Koi at least 200 gallons each, and the Shubunkin should get 55 gallons. Then you can get a 30 gallon for the Ryukin. I actually recommend at least a 55G for him, which means you could provide him with a friend. But if you can't get that, 30 is good for him.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #3 
purplemuffin

We have a 250 gallon water trough we used as their original pond when they were babies(covered in a pond liner, not straight touching the metal)

I was thinking of having that as a fancy goldfish pond, so he could have some friends :3
Old 12-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #4 
BettaMiah

Oh 250 gallons is great for Fancies. Unless you want a heater, though, it might not be a good idea, unless you plan on bringing them in every time it gets a little frosty. Would you like help stocking it?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #5 
purplemuffin

What temperature is appropriate for fancies? We live in Texas, it does get cold here, but not quite Minnesota cold!
Old 12-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #6 
BettaMiah

Oh crap i'm having a brain fart.. I can't remember! Let me look it up real quick, kay? I just know they can't stand it when the pond starts to freeze and stuff.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #7 
BettaMiah

I believe below 70F is getting too cold for them... In general for fancies. Like for a Fantail, yes, but say, a Ryukin could probably stand it a little colder. Some are more fragile than others.

I'm not good with tank temp. Lol. I mostly do filtering and general care like tank size and disease and feeding and stuff.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #8 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
I believe below 70F is getting too cold for them... In general for fancies. Like for a Fantail, yes, but say, a Ryukin could probably stand it a little colder. Some are more fragile than others.

I'm not good with tank temp. Lol. I mostly do filtering and general care like tank size and disease and feeding and stuff.
I read that if the water goes below 30 degrees they hibernate? I have 2 fancy goldfish in the little pond out back, and it must be getting cold, I'll check their temperature tomorrow.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would pm Lupin for answers to your questions.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #10 
BettaMiah

:/ I got it, DQ. I can answer the questions.. :(

Nah, they won't hibernate, they'll act like a Betta would in too cold of water, they'll start to get sick, then they could die. Too cold is too cold.