Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #1 
AKD1727

Erm...Strange shrimp question...

So I was telling my Dad about how I'm going to have a go at a planted shrimp bowl, as I have never tried keeping a planted tank before. "Cool!" He exclaimed. Wow, he seems excited! Maybe he's starting to catch the Betta bug. But no...his next comment made me crack up laughing for the next five minutes...."They'd go perfect in stir-fry!!!"

Yes, he's serious...

So now he's made me post this thread to ask you guys if Cherry Shrimp can be grown at home that will be fit for human consumption?!
AKD1727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #2 
roadplug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKD1727 View Post
So I was telling my Dad about how I'm going to have a go at a planted shrimp bowl, as I have never tried keeping a planted tank before. "Cool!" He exclaimed. Wow, he seems excited! Maybe he's starting to catch the Betta bug. But no...his next comment made me crack up laughing for the next five minutes...."They'd go perfect in stir-fry!!!"

Yes, he's serious...

So now he's made me post this thread to ask you guys if Cherry Shrimp can be grown at home that will be fit for human consumption?!
The only cherry shrimp i know of are tiny. I'm sure my bettas would eat them so mine have their own tank with two Endler's Guppies. I believe the human edible shrimp are all salt water and would cost way to much to try and raise in a home aquarium. [I'm guessing here.]

Instead of the betta forum, you could try asking at the bigger, general tropical fish forum.
roadplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:52 AM   #3 
Silverfang

ROFL!

That made me laugh, your father must not have much of an appetite. Perhaps if you showed him just how big they are he would understand.

Edit: oh yes, you also might mention that it would be a VERY expensive snack. I know here 1 cherry shrimp is 8$
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #4 
AKD1727

I tried telling him that they are only tiny! He was like "yeah! That's big enough!"

LMAO I'd like to see him try and peel them! The saltwater ones we use for fish bait aren't even that small!

I just told him what you guys replied with and all he did was shrug and say "oh well'. He's over it already!

My dad has some stupid 'ideas' but this was the best one for a long time. Gave us all a good laugh though
Old 12-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #5 
roadplug

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKD1727 View Post
I tried telling him that they are only tiny! He was like "yeah! That's big enough!"

LMAO I'd like to see him try and peel them! The saltwater ones we use for fish bait aren't even that small!

I just told him what you guys replied with and all he did was shrug and say "oh well'. He's over it already!

My dad has some stupid 'ideas' but this was the best one for a long time. Gave us all a good laugh though
Well, dad's are men, and many of them [not all, i know men will read this :] have strange ideas sometimes. Some guys need women to keep them grounded a little. My hubby and I bought seven acres. it was a long, more narrow shape and the house went near one end, behind a hill. My hubby wanted to put the barn and horses clear at the other end, as far away from the house as you could get. I said no! It would be like they weren't even on our land, and in bad weather, I didn't want to walk that far to care for them. And it would have cost a fortune to run water and power all that way. It was AZ so the weathers not really bad, but I wanted to look out my window and see the horses, like I had always been able to.

While we discussed it, he admitted the only reason he wanted them way down there, was so he'd have an excuse to jump on the quad to go feed them.
o.O)
Old 12-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #6 
AKD1727

Ha ha! A similar thing happened with my friend's father a few years back when they were putting up a new sheep shearing shed. He placed it about a kilometre down the paddock just so he could ride his brand new trail bike to and from the house!

Well, I picked up a nice 8Ltr fish bowl today that will suit nicely for my red cherry shrimp and I'm going to my LFS on monday to get the plants and shrimp. If they go missing I know the first place I will look! Now I'm going to be paranoid about eating Dad's stir-fry...

Last edited by AKD1727; 12-03-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #7 
roadplug

Glad to know my hubby's not the only one :D

I got my shrimp tank at petco, and i dont use a filter on it. I clean it like the betta tanks, only extra carefully so i dont suck a shrimp into the airline while siphoning. [at the moment i am unemployed and have time] I got my shrimp and plants together from Malibudandy on aquabid. The first was about two weeks ago, and i just got the second order of more shrimp and plants yesterday. I couldn't find any locally in South Dakota :D I don't know if he could ship them all the way to Australia. He's from California.