Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #31 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderloon View Post
Pff, been on the other forums much? Idiots keep draining tanks past the bottom of the Marineland Stealth Pro's even though they've been recalled for exploding... I felt it necessary to indicate the most common failure state for aquarium heaters in my post because that failure state is "stupidity".

More than half the bad Tetra heaters you find at Walmart were brought back after someone plugged em in out of the water and wondered why they didn't work.

Actually I have a different problem with tetra heaters. My landlord has control of the thermostat for my entire complex and keeps all the apartments at 70 degrees. While that is a bit chilly it is a healthy temp for humans. UNfortunately that leaves my fish in 68 degree water. So if a tetra heater is calibrated to raise my 5 gallon tank of water from room temp (76-77 degrees) up to 78-80 degrees in the factory, then I'm only going to have 72-74 degree tanks no matter how long I wait.

So I agree. If someone doesn't understand that and buys a tetra heater over an adjustable heater, they will return a "defective" heater that actually works very well. I have the proper heater for my current situation now, but I can't fualt tetra for my hassle. I simply brought the wrong heater because I didn't know then what I know about heaters today.

However, you could have called me a idiot more nicely. Now I have hurt feelings and need a hug.

On that note, I no longer take short cuts with my heaters. I've learned my lesson now. I'll cut corners with decore, plants, liquid tests, and food when I see good online prices. But I would be wary of a heater that looks too cheap to be true.

Last edited by SnowySurface; 12-07-2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: I forgot to respond to the OP. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #32 
Brian10962001

Tetra heaters should have a thermostat in them that reads ambient temp and raises it to 78 regardless. I really think the issue with them is cheap inaccurate thermostats, or weak guts. I could see it being a 220 volt wire inside so they can slap either a 110 US or 220 Brit cord on it. That or people run them in the open to "see if they're going to work" smoke the element and return them If you've never seen a heater explode, it's an event! Years ago I was taking down my 55 gallon for a move we unplugged the power strip but forgot the heater was on its own circuit; they will indeed burst with some force. It's still always funny to laugh at the bad translation though.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #33 
acadialover

On that note, I no longer take short cuts with my heaters. I've learned my lesson now. I'll cut corners with decore, plants, liquid tests, and food when I see good online prices. But I would be wary of a heater that looks too cheap to be true.
__________________I totally agree !!!!!The price is worth keeping a stable , higher temp.
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #34 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadialover View Post
__________________I totally agree !!!!!The price is worth keeping a stable , higher temp.
That's for sure!
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote