Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #1 
Anitax3x

Question New to planting Need answers

Hey guys. I have a 10 gal divided 3 ways, recently just nixed all my filters ( had 2 above water ) because my guys really didn't like them, ( they have big fins ) and no matter how I baffled them, they seemed to un-baffle themselves. Whatever water changes are no big deal to me anyways. I was wondering, if I were to tear down this tank, and plant it, what should I do?
I was thinking of using planter's soil but I'm kind of new to gardening period, so if there are any good brands ? special types?
Does the soil need to be capped off?
Should I just use an aquatic planting sand instead?
What has worked best for you?
Now the fun part
PLANTS!!!!!!!!! I did some reading on the sticky for plant care, I would just like some people who have been there done that give me what worked for them as well. Can't go wrong with too much information!

I currently have in my 10 a lonely mossball. My other 10 has anubais and lucky bamboo
I was thinking of adding another lucky bamboo, ***leaves above water
I'd love to add anubais but since I have it in two tanks, they're rather small, should I buy more, or propogate what I have?
How would I go about that safely?
Also with the mossballs, I heard you can do that as well (propogate them) ? should I? or is it not worth it?
Also, Any other plants I should Add?
I heard anacharis is great for beginners?
Any other kinds you'd recommend?
Here is a picture of my current setup

That is white petco sand I'm really quite fond of it, easy to clean.
Anyways I really do appreciate answering my questions!
Also, I can spend money on ferts, not an issue, my lights I believe are pretty white (incandescent?) but I do want plants that don't really need much light, If the bulbs arent too expensive, I'll go there not a problem.
anyways thanks guys!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #2 
Anitax3x

humph I thought I'd have some responses?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #3 
bastage

Miricle Gro Organic Potting Mix (not soil) can be used, but is very light so should be capped. Also you might try the Marineland duetto filters. There internal with an adjustible flow. I have them in 2 tanks & none of the fish mind at all (7 fish between the 2 tanks including some very finfull CT's)
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #4 
Tisia

if you do a soil based tank you need mainly stem plants and quite a few floaters. believe you want the tank bottom to be 75% covered with stems and 25% of the top covered with floaters. once it's established you can get rid of some, but the soil will spit out a decent amount of ammonia at first and you need the stems and floaters to suck it up. if you weren't wanting that many plants definitely don't go soil. like bastage mentioned the miracle grow organic is good and sand or fine grain gravel to cap
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #5 
Anitax3x

okay so if I don't want to go soil what plants would be best?
Old 12-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #6 
Fasht

you can get anubias and stick it under a regular gravel or sand, hornworths are good floaters as well as duck weeds, you still need to supply some liquid ferts on your water atleast once a week
Fasht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #7 
Anitax3x

I thought anubais dies once buried? Hmph I'm looking today at this whole in the wall pet store they have amazing plants, ( in tanks not tubes) so if there are plants I can buy without doing potting soil. I'd love to know about them. I guess kind of a plug in my substrate and go type thing.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #8 
Anitax3x

Also I would love some microsword . Would I need any specific type of ferts for that? root tabs or liquid? is sand substrate ok for them?
Old 12-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #9 
Fasht

anubias can be buried aslong as your using synthetic sand and gravel but you still want to dose liquid fertilizer on them, micro swords on the other hand needs rich substrate in order to thrive.
Fasht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #10 
Anitax3x

so what kind of substrate would that be? the potted soil with a sand cap?