Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #11 
Anitax3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisia View Post
if you do a soil based tank you need mainly stem plants and quite a few floaters. believe you want the tank bottom to be 75% covered with stems and 25% of the top covered with floaters. once it's established you can get rid of some, but the soil will spit out a decent amount of ammonia at first and you need the stems and floaters to suck it up. if you weren't wanting that many plants definitely don't go soil. like bastage mentioned the miracle grow organic is good and sand or fine grain gravel to cap
so I also have a 5 gal, with white sand, (can be used to cap). Could I try potting that first? I'd like some micro swords, so would that and some wisteria be enough stem plants? oh and a lucky bamboo. and then possibly some anubias and java moss floating?

thoughts ?
here is what my 5 gal looks like atm
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #12 
Fasht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
so what kind of substrate would that be? the potted soil with a sand cap?
I think your anubias may still die even if you have a sand on top of the potted soil, mainly because the roots of the anubias will eventually dig into the potted soil.

You might have a better chance if you attach the anubias to a driftwood or a rock
Fasht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #13 
Anitax3x

I let my anubais float. and it does well its lush and green
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Most of the low to mod light plants will be fine in the regular-but you will have to feed them more.....

Lights are what is important--without the proper lights most planted tanks fail...what kind of bulbs-age of bulbs, kelvin, watts......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #15 
Thunderloon

Fine black fluorite gravel, little thicker than sand, will slowly develop into soil

Get a little #0 Hydro Sponge for each compartment! Flow as slow as you want will still circulate water and the foam they ship on them even clears powder dirt from my water when I set up a new tank.

I do a 10/30/60 gravel/fluorite/soil mix and populate it heavily with malay trumpet snails. It gives me the best results for java, anubias, wendtii and other stem plants while keeping the bottom very resistant to sudden flows of water.

The snails even keep the gravel up top for me.

Never expect plants to do well in a "barracks" environment like an over-divided tank, you CAN plant them in shallow pots or even in weighted sponge blocks.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasht View Post
I think your anubias may still die even if you have a sand on top of the potted soil, mainly because the roots of the anubias will eventually dig into the potted soil.

You might have a better chance if you attach the anubias to a driftwood or a rock
You cannot bury the rhizome of an anubias as this will cause the plant to rot and die. However, you can bury the roots of the anubias and they will appreciate the extra nutrients if you use a soil-based substrate. It is normal and healthy for the roots of an anubias to grow down into the substrate. This will not cause the plant to die.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote