Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2011, 03:52 AM   #1 
CaptainMajestic

Possible fin-rot?

I've got a little bit of a problem with my little buddy and I am running out of options on what to do. So, I have decided to ask for a little bit of an advice before anything gets serious and my fish dies. He's a beautiful little fish and I'm a bit sad that his fins are suffering. Don't mind the ****ty condition of the tanks. It's under repair and he's bloated cause uh, i just fed him. Wuz starting to chomp at the plants.

PICTURES

HOUSING

What size is your tank? 4.2 gallons (16 litres)

What temperature is your tank? 25c

Does your tank have a filter? No

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.

Is your tank heated? No exactly, but is regulated by a lamp. It is currently summer so his temperature rarely fluctuates dramatically. On chillier nights I turn on the lamp and it seems to keep the temperature rather level.

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None. However, we were thinking of putting some neon tetras in. How many do you suggest if any at all? When he gets better ofcourse.

FOOD

What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Frozen Bloodworms, he loves them.

How often do you feed your betta fish?
2-3 little ones. He's only a tiny tacker. I watch his stomach so I tend to stop before he gets bloated.

MAINTENANCE

How often do you perform a water change? Every 5 days.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50% depending on how his water looks.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Algae control,Water Ager and recently (suggested by the pet store ladies) BettaFix.

WATER PARAMETERS

Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Just the Ph level.

Ammonia
:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

SYMPTOMS AND TREATMENT

How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Tips of his tail and dorsal fin has gone black and started to look a little limp. But its only his dorsal and tail, everything else is fine. His tail looks a shorter like he has chewed on it or bits have fallen off. Kind of stumpy. At one point he had new fins growing and they just disappeared. There is a bright blue stripe on his anal fin that appeared after the symptoms occurred.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Nothing has changed in his behavior, still active still eating regularly. Quite greedy if anything. He regularly blows bubbles. (I find them floating on top of his water) So I'll be assuming that he's happy? Don't they do that when ready to mate/content?

When did you start noticing the symptoms? Approximately two-three weeks after getting him.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
I have looked up for numerous resources and have seen the same thing. Regular water changes as stated above. I have also spoken to a number of staff at pet(fish) shops and they have said the same thing as well. They have told me to put the required amount of BettaFix in his tank daily and I have done so. There was some improvement for but he started to deteriorate after a while. So I lowered the dosage. I have recently put in some new plants as well to help with oxygen and he is extremely happy with them and uses them

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
No, this is the first time.

How old is your fish (approximately)?
I am not sure. He's a small fish, no more than 1inch in length from nose to tail. I have had him for two months now.
CaptainMajestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #2 
Myates

Cute little guy..

Is your tank heated? No exactly, but is regulated by a lamp. It is currently summer so his temperature rarely fluctuates dramatically. On chillier nights I turn on the lamp and it seems to keep the temperature rather level.
You don't want to keep the light on at night, as they need the dark to rest and could easily over stress out with the light on 24 hrs. Unless it's a heating lamp, most lamps don't actually heat the water.. Best to just buy a small heater, can get them for approx $12 and up.. or not if the water doesn't get too cold at night. Either way, just not a good thing to keep it on at night.

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None. However, we were thinking of putting some neon tetras in. How many do you suggest if any at all? When he gets better ofcourse.
Anything under a 10 gallon you don't want to be adding in any other fish- the bio load will be too much. Especially for a 4 gallon, any fish you add in there with the betta will be very risky and just not ideal. Neons require 6+ and at least a 10 gallon for that many. Not only just the bio load that is the issue, but the space as well. Just not idea. You can get a snail, but you would have to up the water change a little bit, as they produce a very large amount of waste. You also would need to have a filter going for anything else to be added.. and normally would need a stable cycle as well to keep other fish or invertebrates to live healthy.. which you won't get in a smaller tank, especially with no filter.

What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Frozen Bloodworms, he loves them.
I would also recommend adding in pellets along with the frozen.. pellets are a great staple of their diet, as they are getting more nutrition in them then what is only in the blood worms.. such as fiber and different vitamins.

How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 little ones. He's only a tiny tacker. I watch his stomach so I tend to stop before he gets bloated.
Smaller, multiple meals a day is ideal for them. You are correct in the 2-3, but that is per meal.. 2-3 per meal, twice daily (morning & evening) is what you are going to want to aim for. If you are worried about bloating, then make each meal only 2 per.

How often do you perform a water change? Every 5 days.
For an unfiltered tank that size, 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week.. you have to do the 100%s to clean out the substrate. Just a small water change per week is not enough. You may be able to get away with 2 50% per week, but you would have to siphon out the gravel one of those times really well.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50% depending on how his water looks.
You have to keep in mind, the most dangerous component of dirty water is invisible. So it can look crystal clear, yet be deadly.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Algae control,Water Ager and recently (suggested by the pet store ladies) BettaFix.
You don't need algae control as when you start doing the appropriate water changes, the 100% will clean off any algae since you would wipe down the tank. Unsure what water ager is.. you have to be careful with additives, especially when not needed. What you are wanting is just plain water conditioner, one that removes chlorine and takes care of nitrates/ites. There is nothing else you need to add into the tank other then what is needed, and that is the conditioner.

Bettafix is not idea to use, as people use it... but it's one of those meds (just like with some human medications) that sometimes the risk it poses outweighs the benefits. You are adding in medication without doing the proper water changes that goes along with it.. it has a high risk of causing labyrinth organ damage, and every time you are adding that in, and not doing the proper water changes, you are potentially causing him harm in a couple different ways. IMO, and most others here, Bettafix should be removed from the shelves.

Fin rot occurs when there is damage to the tail, whether a rip or a bite and the water is not kept clean. The bacteria or fungus (there are two types of fin rot) will grow when the fish is in unfavorable conditions.

The others were correct in telling you clean water, that is the best way to rid the rot.. I zoomed in on the pics and I saw some black on the tips.

I would do a 100% water change, adding in ONLY water conditioner at this time. Need to give him a little bit of a break from the medication and other chemicals that were put in with him. I would recommend daily 50% water changes for the next 5-7 days to help keep the rot under control and start reversing it.
After that, if he is still showing signs of rot (black edges that are crusty and flaking off- or white tips with cottony like growth) then you would want to do 1-2 teaspoons per gallon of Aquarium Salt, pre-dissolve it along with water conditioner before adding it with your little guy. You will want to do daily 100% water changes, adding in the salt each time. You will want to do that for no longer then 10 days.
The water changes, and the salt alone should take care of your problem, as it's very minimal right now. You may not even need the salt after the clean water from the week prior.

Good luck and keep us posted on how he is doing.

Last edited by Myates; 12-02-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote