Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #1 
Naaga

Question Opinions please?

Hello Everyone! I had a sad happening with my last and first betta fish I want to try again. I have read many post but I needed an opinion on taking care of it properly. I have a 1 galleon Aquaeon tank. I have a unused "zoo med betta therm" heater. Has anyone had success with that kind of heater, are they reliable? Do you know of a better heater for that small a tank? Has anyone had luck with heat mats under the tank? Also, how often to do you with successful 1 galleon tanks change your water? Does it stress your fish out to have a full water change weekly? Do you think a product like AMQUEL should be used with a uncycle-able tank to keep ammonia levels non-toxic between changes? I have sulfur water at my house so I buy spring water, is there any reason to condition it? Any opinions on the above would be very appreciated. My last betta was happy in the 1 gallon tank and healthy tell i moved it to a healthy 10 gallon tank and then it died 2 days later. I think all the space stressed it out. I only had the fish for 1 week. Thank you knowledgeable Betta fish owners!
Naaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #2 
SnowySurface

Welcome to the Forum. My answers to your questions are in blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naaga View Post
Hello Everyone! I had a sad happening with my last and first betta fish I want to try again. I have read many post but I needed an opinion on taking care of it properly.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

I have a 1 galleon Aquaeon tank. I have a unused "zoo med betta therm" heater. Has anyone had success with that kind of heater, are they reliable? Do you know of a better heater for that small a tank?

I don't have any experience with Zoo med. The brand I used for my 1 gallon was the hydor 7.5W heater. You will need a thermometer to monitor the temp of the tnak no matter which heater you use.

Has anyone had luck with heat mats under the tank?

I doubt that works well. A mat under the tank would heat the tank first and the tank would then heat the water. It's better to use a submersible heater to raise the temperature of the water directly.

Also, how often to do you with successful 1 galleon tanks change your water?

Two 50% water changes and one 100% water change each week. So in my case, Tuesday was 50%, Thursday was 50%, and Sunday was 100%.

Does it stress your fish out to have a full water change weekly?

Depends on the fish. Snowy didn't care when I moved him to a temp tank while I cleaned out his main home. Luigi would be dramatic with stress stripes, pale color, and rapid breathing. But the general answer is yes, 100% water changes will stress out your fish. But it's the lesser of two evils since dirty water kills fish.

Do you think a product like AMQUEL should be used with a uncycle-able tank to keep ammonia levels non-toxic between changes? I have sulfur water at my house so I buy spring water, is there any reason to condition it?

All tank water should be treated even if the tank is cycled. Products like Amquel remove heavy metals from the water to make it safe for fish. I've always used tap water treated with Novaqua plus, so I don't know much about spring water. I think you have to treat it anyway.

Any opinions on the above would be very appreciated. My last betta was happy in the 1 gallon tank and healthy tell i moved it to a healthy 10 gallon tank and then it died 2 days later. I think all the space stressed it out. I only had the fish for 1 week.

Very few bettas are stressed out by large space and stress does not kill that fast. It sounds like the fish suffered from shock and never recovered. If you had a heater in the 10 gallon but no heater in the 1 gallon, then temperature shock was the cause of death. If it was not the temperature, then the water chemistry may have been off. Not to say that the old tank water was bad and the new tank water was good. I think the old and new tank water were both good but different from each other.

There is also one other probable cause. Unlike a 1 gallon tank, a 10 gallon tank can cycle. Adding a fish to an empty 10 gallon is the same as spiking the tank with an ammonia source. If the tank was not cycled before you added the fish, then it began to cycle after the fish was added. 2 days sounds about right for the ammonia to spike as high as 4ppm. Bettas are hearty fish, but water changes have to be very regular for them to survive fish-in tank cycling.

Thank you knowledgeable Betta fish owners!
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #3 
EvilVOG

i use a heat pad for cups and other small contianers, mine is however controlled by a thermostat, and i make regular checks with a temp gun until i'm sure the water holds steady at a proper temp. Wouldn't use it for anything more than a gallon.

And i only use the heat pad because i already own them, if you need to buy something buy a proper aquarium heater
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #4 
Rosso1011

I only have one thing to add to this. Your Zoo Med Betta Therm heater will be fine for anything from 1 - 3 gallons, depending on the room temperature. I used one in my 1 gallon since other heaters wouldn't fit my betta bowl well. I have gotten a bigger aquarium since then.

I find that at about normal room temperature, for a one gallon you may have to watch it a little bit to make sure it isn't putting out too much heat. I just unplugged mine for a few hours to maintain the temperature. If you have a room that gets cold or colder during the night, it will hold maintain a stable 78 - 80 degrees overnight. You just have to put a little bit more work into using this particular heater in a 1 gallon.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

I have to add that 1 50% and 1 100% a week is enough for your tank, no need to worry about ammonia if you keep this schedule..
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #6 
Naaga

Smile

Thank you for answering my questions!!!
Naaga is offline   Reply With Quote