Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #1 
ChelseaK

ChelseaK's Marble Spawn(s) Log

Hello all! I'm very excited about this spawn, however, as I had stated in my Teaser, the goal of this spawn is not for selling fry but is for developing my marble line. But, I will be selling the unwanted fry to the first takers ( I already have one in line but you can PM me if you are interested).

With that said, let us proceed!

Note* To clarify, the females and Celli were from a Marble HMPK x Marble DeT spawn. Therefore they have both have the short fin recessive trait which should help me get some HMPK out of the line.

Spawn #1
Pongo x Female 1
Fins: HMPK x DeT
Coloration: Dragon Black & White Marble x Black & White Marble

Spawn # 2
Celli x Female 2
Fins: DeT x DeT
Coloration: Cellophane Marble x Blue, green, white Marble

Sorry for the poor picture.

The fish were conditioned in 1/2 gallon buckets floating in heated water.
This was the spawn tank setup:

Not bad for my first attempt at a double spawn, haha. I would do it differently if I do it again, but this did well. There are three different dividers so the males couldn't see each other plus fake plants in front of it.

The males quickly made bubblenests when they were put in the spawn tank. Pongo always has his mouth slightly open so his bubbles were quite large, which made me worry because I hadn't never experienced that kind of nest before. The females were in their own containers in the tank for three days before they were released.
Here are some videos of the introductions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eoqjn...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSuWs4aIOes

Pongo was trying to show off a lot more than Celli was, he was a lot more aggressive it seemed. Female 1 was very aggressive as well, but I kept a close eye on them. Female 2 was more submissive after about 20 minutes. For the next couple days, the males spent more time under their nests trying to lure the females. That next Friday, I walked in on spawn #2 embracing under the nest but quickly realized this was not their first spawn for there were already fry under the nest. When Celli started chasing the female away, I removed her from the tank.

Pongo and Female one had also had some very clumsy embraces, however it was also not their first spawn either. Pongo was very exhausted so I took him and the females out, as well as the tank divider and let Celli take over both nests. He was very active which made me worry that he had been eating some of the fry.

The days after made me realize what a good father Celli was. He was not eating any fry or eggs, he made another smaller bubblenests on the other side of the tank from the filter and had condensed all of the eggs into that nest. He even tried spitting the free swimmers into the nest but they would not stay there (little buggers). Once the youngest fry were free swimming Celli was removed and put into his conditioning tub. The other fish were already back in their homes and doing great (except for female #2 who underwent a bit of fin damage so she was floating in her sorority with medication and was released back into the sorority the same time as two new girls were out of quarantine)

It became clear that I had a wide variety of ages within my tank, which made me wonder if the bigger fry were going to munch on the smaller ones. I still am a little worried about that for I do not see as many of the small fry as I once did, however they do hide a lot easier than the big ones.

I experienced disaster when the BBS eggs that I had were not longer good and my LFS did not have any in stock, so the fry have not yet had anything live to eat, but they have been munching on First Bites as well as insforia from the moss in the tank. I hope to have microworms by Monday and am going to keep checking my LFS to see when they get those eggs in.

SO, in recap, the oldest fry in the tank are most likely just about 3 weeks old today, and the youngest are over 1 and a half weeks. This is my first spawn in an actually tank so it's great being able to see them from the sides and not just over head. In fact, and I wish I could get a good picture of this, one of the bigger fry already looks to have bluish metallic coloration. (Excitement!) Now, unfortunately I will not be able to tell what fry belongs to what spawn, and I did not intend on having them mixed, but because Pongo was in such bad shape, I had to for the sake of the fry. Regardless, the best fry will be kept no matter what spawn they are from.

Here are the best pictures I have of the little guys! Enjoy!

ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #2 
bettalover2033

The fry are adorable and your fish are just so pretty! I love your females and that one HMPK white marble dragon male!

Okay, ONE question. Are they in the same tank with just a few dividers in between? Both the spawns?

-BL2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #3 
ChelseaK

The spawns both happened in the same 20 gallon tank with a divider in the middle. I stated that the divider was taken out after both the females and Pongo were taken out of the tank so that Celli could take care of both nests. So all of the fry are in one tank with no dividers. I hope that answers your question :)
Old 11-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #4 
bettalover2033

Yes it does, but when breeding, you shouldn't mix the fry nor dump all that work on a fish. Though im sure this is not so bad. But your not going to know which is which when you see them all grown up.

-BL2033
Old 11-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #5 
ChelseaK

Actually I read a lot about mixing spawns through my research before attempting it, plus this male wasn't doing any more work because the other spawn did not have any unhatched eggs and were all free swimming, as I had stated.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #6 
bettalover2033

Yes I know, but what about when they get older, your not going to know which is which. Or is that what you wanted?

Just curious.

-BL2033
Old 11-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #7 
mernincrazy8525

omg. they are all amazing. good luck. and i think it is a good idea mixing them.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #8 
ChelseaK

Haha, as I had said, it didn't matter what spawn they were from because the best fish were the best fish and those were the ones that were going to be kept. Three of the four were siblings therefore all from the same line so their genetics only differ slightly with the Dragon being added in and I should be able to tell which those are, although with them being only half dragon, it may not be apparent, but regardless, when they are bred again, that will show whether they are dragon or not. So I guess in short, I'm not too concerned about which spawn they came from because they all will have pretty much the same genetics. Plus I have a pretty good idea which sizes are from what spawn since they are different sizes.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #9 
bettalover2033

OOO! That is really some interesting stuff going on here. I think I might try this! I love experimental breeding! Obviously you'll be able to tell from the dragons.

-BL2033
Old 11-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #10 
ChelseaK

Well hopefully. Usually even when they are Dragon x Dragon you still don't see much until the F2s, but I did read of a Dragon x Dragon post on here and he had full dragon scaling so I'm hopefully. Either way, the dragon scaling will be a branch of my line sooner or later, haha.

Thanks mernin, I really want to get a picture of that one that already has color! It's so cool!