Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #1 
Akeath

Baby Bettas at Petco?

I went to a couple Petcos today and in both of them they had 3-4 fish labeled as "Baby Bettas". I was really curious about them. Has anyone else seen these? They were still so young that they were just barely starting to show colors in some and in others there weren't any colors visible at all, and their fins were still so small it was hard to tell the tail types too.
Are these still so young that they need different feeding schedules/food than adult Bettas? Will they be more likely to be harmed than adults by the environment in those little cups? Would their care be different in any way, are are they old enough that they'd basically be the same care wise and just a gamble on coloring?
Akeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #2 
peaches3221

OMG just saw 'em today for the first time... ADORABLE!!!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #3 
RichardA

They are probably just that.....baby bettas lol

I was in Petsmart picking up some tanks and such today and noticed a juvie male in a cup.....I would imagine the suppliers figured out they could get younger fish and still sell them. For most this is not a problem, could be if you are looking for a specific color though.
RichardA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #4 
LittleBettas

From what I have heard, even some of the more advanced members here have had trouble keeping these little guys alive

they will need to be fed more often and they DO need special food, live food and "baby food" to help them develop, these little guys get stressed EASILY, especially during water changes
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #5 
mjoy79

I believe they need specific care, as I have seen several stories this week about people's baby bettas dying soon after they bring them home. The stress and lack of proper nutrition for a fry is probably what is killing them.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #6 
RichardA

Good points, I easily forget we have new keepers on here....lol

I feed live food and have been breeding for so long I forget not everyone has kept 1mm fish alive
RichardA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #7 
Myates

Aww.. I wish the closest Petco/Petsmart weren't an hour and 45 mins away :(
Even though they may be a challenge, I'm up for it :D Stay at home mom so have the time and energy to spend on one :D

Otherwise.. it's sad, as mentioned above, they require different needs and too many new hobbyists out there won't know what they are and can cause the poor little ones to suffer. Grr on the stores.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #8 
snowtail

"baby food"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
From what I have heard, even some of the more advanced members here have had trouble keeping these little guys alive

they will need to be fed more often and they DO need special food, live food and "baby food" to help them develop, these little guys get stressed EASILY, especially during water changes

I purchased two baby bettas from Petco the other day, one of them is doing fine but the other one has faded from red with a black trim on it's fins to almost a dull red color. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to feed these babies. I have been crushing up some dried bloodworms and that seems to be helping, but if there is any other food that would work, I would love to know.
Thanks in advance!
snowtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #9 
Luimeril

you'd need fry foods. BBS and a fry pellet. i raised a fry from a month old speck, and i fed her live BBS and crushed New Life Spectrum Grow. she thrived on it.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #10 
Myates

Yup, freeze dried isn't enough nutrition for them- there are specialty pellets out there I believe for babies- like mentioned above, the New Life Grow.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote