Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #11 
youlovegnats

This just makes me incredibly angry. The fact that Petco is now selling betta fry... *sigh*
They need temperature of well above of what the store is providing, constant water changes for the amount of growth hormone they put out, special food- as mentioned above, larger spaces... =__='
I personally will never contribute to helping Petco with keeping these on the market. A 'baby betta' is not something that should be sold.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #12 
Roxy

I went to my local petco today ( out of curiousity ) and didn't see any.
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:31 AM   #13 
kfryman

I think it is to get people to by them because it says BABY. I am going to ask them to stop or ask that they at least give them heavier care if they are going to sell the babies. I will also mention that even very experienced betta owners have trouble keeping them alive. Just a stupid thing to do overall though why sell babies?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #14 
Myates

I want to say that the breeders are telling them that it's safe and okay to sell babies, that they would make more profit from them.. just so the breeders can make the revolving door for themselves to go quicker- sooner they are gone, the sooner it frees up more room for the next batch and sooner they get paid.

At least that is what I am thinking- and PetCo bought into it thinking more sales since 'who doesn't love babies'?

I got a new one yesterday, possibly 2 months old, 3 at the most- he's so small and adorable. Even though he isn't as young as the ones in the "baby" cups- he still requires me to cut up his pellets/food and needs a little more nutrition. I worry about him being so small as it is.. can't imagine the worry I'd have over a true baby.

*grumble-rassum frassum-grumble*
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #15 
youlovegnats

@Mytaes- Very true. See this is why I don't like the whole "business" economy. Especially when it has to deal with animals. No one (business I should say, other than some locally owned places) cares for the quality of life anymore, and they see these lives just as profit. They don't care if they lose a few hundred during the process, as long as they get the extra buck, it's worth it for them. @^@ *rage* @

@Kfryman- Right. I even have trouble with my spawn... How do you think a little kid is going to see it? "Oh look mom! It's a baby! We need to get it!" ...and three days later it's dead. =__='
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #16 
LoveMyBettas8885

I was at my local Petco yesterday and they had like 15-18 betta babys. I was really shocked and surprised when I saw they were selling babys. I asked about what the care was for the babys and I was told "the care is the same as an adult betta fish" I obviously knew that was wrong. I'm going back to Petco today and I'm going to tell the it's wrong for them to sell babys. These were LITTLE too. :( grrr!!
LoveMyBettas8885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

It's ridiculous for the petstores to think that baby fish have the same care requirements as adults.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:08 AM   #18 
Tikibirds

I picked one up the other day but it didn't make it. I think it was sick with something when I got it because 1/2 the body turned brown like it was burnt. A bout a week before that I picked up a TINY CT female. She is a little bigger then the babies and was not labled as a baby but she obviouly isn't an adult yet.

I have BBS eggs and was preparing some but the poor thing didnt last that long.

Quote:
I think it is to get people to by them because it says BABY. I am going to ask them to stop or ask that they at least give them heavier care if they are going to sell the babies. I will also mention that even very experienced betta owners have trouble keeping them alive. Just a stupid thing to do overall though why sell babies?
Their plan seems to be to sell these baby bettas along with a TINY and I do mean tiny tank, smaller then their cups, along with a bottle of betta water for $10, claiming its a great christmas present for any beginner.

I can't find a pic of this tank online but it's about 1/4th the size of this half gallon one. This guy can at least move about some but with the triangle ones petco is pushing for the babies, an adult would barely be able to move, especially if its a VT or HM. A giant wouldnt even fit in them.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-08-2011 at 04:21 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #19 
ninjakristin

I got a baby Betta (I named him Drew) from Petco about 2 months ago. He was small, cute looking, and cheap. He's grown significantly since I got him. I've only ever had adult Bettas. I knew that Drew needed less food than an adult, but more often. However, I feel extremely bad because I didn't know that there was special fry food. :/ He got sick 2 weeks ago. The symptoms looked like Swim Bladder. He was unable to swim to the bottom of his tank and was lethargic. went through the process of trying to cure him. He's better now, but not swimming through out the tank. I have seem him swim to the bottom, without much difficulty, a few times since I treated him.
ninjakristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:57 AM   #20 
scootshoot

I bought a few and they growing fast. Minor issue early on was getting small enough food for their tiny mouths so I bought a pack of micro pellets.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote