Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #1 
LittleNibbles93

Fin growth help

What do you use to help fin growth? My halfmoon, Jack, has had his tail short from when he was tail-biting, and shows no sign of any new tail growth. I don't want to rush him, just something to help him and give him a boost.

I was told Stress Coat+ is good for ripped fins, Petco didn't seem to have it so I have to order some, I was wondering if there was anything else?
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #2 
EvilVOG

aquarium salt, 1 tsp/gallon with daily 100% water changes (conditioned water, stress coat if you can get it) for like 5 but no more than 10 days.

what size tank, and does he have any tank-mates?
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #3 
Myates

You don't want to use AQ salt for fin growth.. as that can actually hamper growth, not to mention needlessly placing your fish into something that has potential to harm, even if it's within the 10 day limit.. I'm sorry, but AQ salt isn't the go-to for everything, and it's simply not worth the risk unless treating for such things as fin rot/ick, etc. Right here on this sub-forum is THIS that explains AQ salt, why it shouldn't be used needlessly, what happens to a fish when in it, etc.

Stress coat and a high protein diet with your regular weekly water changes is the best- make sure the food's first ingredient is fish/meat meal and the crude protein % is above 42%- frozen blood worms/brine shrimp would be good to add in with pellets if possible.

Last edited by Myates; 12-05-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #4 
LittleNibbles93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
You don't want to use AQ salt for fin growth.. as that can actually hamper growth, not to mention needlessly placing your fish into something that has potential to harm, even if it's within the 10 day limit.. I'm sorry, but AQ salt isn't the go-to for everything, and it's simply not worth the risk unless treating for such things as fin rot/ick, etc. Right here on this sub-forum is THIS that explains AQ salt, why it shouldn't be used needlessly, what happens to a fish when in it, etc.

Stress coat and a high protein diet with your regular weekly water changes is the best- make sure the food's first ingredient is fish/meat meal and the crude protein % is above 42%- frozen blood worms/brine shrimp would be good to add in with pellets if possible.
Thanks, I have some freeze-dried bloodworms (says 50% crude protein), I'll give him that until I get some frozen.
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #5 
EvilVOG

I only quote what it says in the sticky in the disease treatment forum in this board for this specific issue. If that is not the proper treatment then we need to get whoever is the admin for this board to adjust the sticky.

and in that salt thread he states: "As I said, I'm no fish expert, but a vet I know says..." that's not an expert opinion i'm going to take over what the more qualified experienced betta owners on this site say.

Last edited by EvilVOG; 12-05-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #6 
Myates

Freeze dried will work for a little while- just make sure to pre-soak it in some tank water before feeding to avoid it expanding in his belly and causing him to bloat up.

The AQ salt can be used as a preventative towards fin rot with damaged fins- but the best (and safest) is just clean water. To me, it's not worth it, putting them through the hassle and stress of QTing and daily 100% water changes, not to mention what the salt can do to the body. I didn't even realize it was there, as most here will say not to use it unless needed.
I am sorry if I sounded rude- and I now understand you were going by what was posted (which is by a vet (I believe she graduated? Or still in school?)).. she isn't wrong, and technically, you aren't either. I suppose it comes down to personal opinions on whether to risk it with the salt and stress, or not.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #7 
EvilVOG

right, but that statement, "i'm not a fish expert, but a vet i know says" speaks volumes. Everything said there about anything fish-related is second-hand info that may be completely out of context. The OP is a student on Human medical science.

Definitely don't overuse salt, or use it wrong, but that's about all we non-vets can take from that. As far as treatment of bettas, i'm going to refer to the sticky in the disease forum until someone says, "i'm a Vet, and here's what you should do".
Old 12-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #8 
Myates

I go based off of people who have degrees, and have kept/bred these guys for decades :) I chatted you up in the other thread, no reason to go back and forth in multiple threads about the same thing, and no reason to derail :) Sorry OP!

You can recommend anything you wish, as will I and anyone else.. we are all here to help :) just have differences of opinions.