Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #1 
roadplug

Unplanned Betta Parenthood. LPS is selling 'baby' bettas

I was prepared to say 'no' to any more fish in Petco today, except this. They are selling 'baby' bettas. I asked the woman what they were.

She said, "We can't tell if they're boys or girls."

I said, "I know that, but are they veiltails or deltas, or . . .?"

She said, "Veiltails are the girls, right? They are the ugliest."

It went downhill from there. They had the 'baby betta' display right up front with about 12 cups on a shelf by themselves, like this was what they are promoting this week.

As the woman stood with me, and I looked, I found four of them dead in their cups and handed them to her as I went. She blamed the truck driver saying they park the truck and they get cold sometimes.

So um, if they were dead off the truck, why were they out on the shelf for sale?

I actually asked her, 'So don't you guys put the dead ones out here to make us feel like we have to rescue them? Do you sell more that way?'

I couldn't help it. I wish i could get them all. Maybe they're young enough to all go in one tank for a few more weeks? I have about 12 large vases. I know, I can't save them all.

I know nothing about this little fishy, and it's fine, but I'm not even sure its old enough to eat regular food. The pellets I have are really tiny, but if he/she doesn't eat them I have flakes i can grind up little, and the bloodworms I can chop up [with gloves on, and a mask with breathing gear.].

And I have the BBS i was saving for if one of these old guys here already doesn't eat his eggs, just once.
Just when i thought Petco was more conscientious.
But I will learn much from this little guy/gal too.
Ah, So. >.<))
Attached Images

roadplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

Could you take a picture of her beside something like a DVD case? I think our female bettas have always been this small :( My Yuki, Suki and the new Cello girl are really tiny. She's cute!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #3 
Luimeril

O_O so tiny! now i REALLY wanna go save one or two. ;A; i have Zidane's sterilte bin.... a gallon bowl.... n'd a spare gallon tank. :/ wasn't wanting to use them(actually JUST NOW remembered that i even have the bowl and bin. xD i'd pushed them out of my mind!), but.... they're so teeny. ;A; not even gendered, i bet!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #4 
BeautifulBetta

Holy frick, people are AWFUL!!! :(
Can't believe she'd call them ugly, AND leave the dead ones on the shelf. Can't believe she'd blame the truck driver too...
so glad you managed to save at least one little fishy <3
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #5 
irbyma7297

oh wow. i wouldn't even reconize one as a betta at this age. it looks more like a guppy.
irbyma7297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #6 
roadplug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Could you take a picture of her beside something like a DVD case? I think our female bettas have always been this small :( My Yuki, Suki and the new Cello girl are really tiny. She's cute!
A picture of her by some change is below. The DVD cases i have are all dark, and i thought she wouldnt show up. I think I just named him/her 'Nickel'. It could go for boys or girls, maybe better a boy name. idk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
O_O so tiny! now i REALLY wanna go save one or two. ;A; i have Zidane's sterilte bin.... a gallon bowl.... n'd a spare gallon tank. :/ wasn't wanting to use them(actually JUST NOW remembered that i even have the bowl and bin. xD i'd pushed them out of my mind!), but.... they're so teeny. ;A; not even gendered, i bet!
not gendered, and they all looked the same color. I've seen some tiny girls, especially at petsmart, but they had some color to them, and someone along the commercial line took a guess at their gender. I'd think these would be too young. They were just marked 'baby'. I have containers, and extra heaters of a couple of different sizes - in case one heater stopped working or something. Now I have one less 'extra' one. lol
I really can't help it, it'll be fun to see what he/she is as she gets older. If a girl she can go in the sorority. And if a boy I have an empty three gallon. I guess i could put Nickel in there, but I thought I'd lose him/her, it would be so big.

And I ordered up to 4 more today from my fav LPS, Crazy Critters. The same place I got Cocoa. if she finds the four types and colors i requested, I could be adding 4 more. oops XD
Well, that's it. I just don't have time to work. I have far too many fish to care for, so I'll quit looking. Mwahahaha!
Attached Images

Last edited by roadplug; 12-02-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: thought of something else
Old 12-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #7 
peaches3221

O.o thats TINY!! SOOOO CUTE!! good for you for rescuing him/her :P
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #8 
Pewmew

omg they are so tiny O.o... it's amazing how some of them survived the truck and all the stress from being moved around
Pewmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #9 
Luimeril

i raised my month-old surprise fry in my 3 gallon. i lost her often, but she turned out healthy and happy. i have Java moss i could put in there for them, and i could see if my BBS is still good (it's a year old), and i have New Life Spectrum grow.... i'm plotting to get to PetCo somehow(if they sell them) and buying a pair of them.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #10 
roadplug

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches3221 View Post
O.o thats TINY!! SOOOO CUTE!! good for you for rescuing him/her :P
Nickel is the tiniest one I've seen in person. He/she is sitting next to me while I type. I just put a glass thermometer and I'm giving it a while to be sure she doesn't get too hot, before I go to sleep. I know not all the fishies make it, and there are far worse things than irresponsible pet owners, and sellers, out there, but it's the ignorance that just astonishes and annoys me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewmew View Post
omg they are so tiny O.o... it's amazing how some of them survived the truck and all the stress from being moved around
It is amazing. 'baby bettas for Christmas' What won't they think of next? When i had a few acres, I used to wait for Easter and buy up all the baby chickens from the feed store that had been dyed colors like Easter eggs so that at least those chicks wouldn't have their feathers pulled out by some unsupervised human youngin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
i raised my month-old surprise fry in my 3 gallon. i lost her often, but she turned out healthy and happy. i have Java moss i could put in there for them, and i could see if my BBS is still good (it's a year old), and i have New Life Spectrum grow.... i'm plotting to get to PetCo somehow(if they sell them) and buying a pair of them.
You had surprise fry? I think that would be fun, I hope it was. So you say she/he is young enough i should feed baby food? I have some hikari and frozen bbs too. For once I planned ahead and am ready! If you lived near me, I'd take you and get another one too. :D