Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #1 
irbyma7297

how can you guys afford?

how in the world can you guys afford to keep the amount of bettas you own the way you do?

I have $50 to buy a betta, and he cost $2, right? i got a 1 gal. tank with a filter and air pump for $5 from a friend, and she didn't give me gravel.
I decided to get another betta from Chard56, and i decided to buy him a 2.65 gal with a filter(I havent bought him yet) and i found ot that i wouldn't be able to afford one and buy the fish. Then i wanted to buy a $13 ten gallon tank and split it, but i would'nt have enough money to buy a filter, ten pounds of gravel, plants, and the fish.
Now, i am going to buy the same tank prince is in for $14, but it would cost $10 for two pounds of gravel.
~man, i wish chard56 took coupons. i have to pay him at least $18 for a fish, but i know he needs to pay fish expenses, so and i checked aquabid and they charge 25 dollars for a fish that i would buy, and that's not including shipping! I know that he is giving me such a great deal, $8 for a fish that is healthy, and is beautiful, which is only three dollars more than a crowntail that will die a week later, still three more than a veiltail betta that i bought from wal-mart when i was 12. (Don't get me wrong, when i first learned how much he charged, i was sceptical whether i should buy an over priced betta from across country,but when i looked betta fish up on aqua bid, i noticed the pricing, and then that that wasn't including shipping, i was certain that i was getting the best deal i possibly could!)~

So, i was wondering, how do you guys afford it?

Last edited by irbyma7297; 12-05-2011 at 09:01 PM.
irbyma7297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #2 
monroe0704

Lol well I'm a bit older than most of the members on here, but my husband and I both work... that's how we afford our pet hobbies! ;) We also sell old electronics we don't use any more on craigslist. Works great with old cell phones and gaming systems!
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #3 
irbyma7297

okay... (lolz! i just tried to spell okay 'Oh kay'!literaly, i had typed 'oh' until i realized that! i feel so stupid)
Yeah, that's okay, if you have a job! i've been trying to get money, i would sell some of my stuff on this website, if only it was fish related! I am wondering if people would buy non-fish related things from me.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #4 
SmokeNLark

Haha. Good question. I don't know :p I'm the kind of person who never buys anything for myself. I would much rather spend my money on spoiling my animals. I love it. I save my money and have a job. My parents know how much I like it and sometimes get me something for them. And after I already have a fish (or any animal) and the NEED something (food/etc) then, I justify the cost. I bought them, I need to take care of them. And I have acquired them over time. Also, basically my whole xmas/bday presents consist of fish/bird/horse stuff :p
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #5 
cajunamy
Banned

jobs :)
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #6 
irbyma7297

lolz!
Old 12-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #7 
Luimeril

pfft.... affording.

but, really, i write stories and draw for money. it's not a stable job like many have, but it gets me what i want. that's how i got Sniper. i had about $8 left over from buying my new laptop, and it sat there, taunting me. then, one day, i had the urge to write a story for someone. i just wanted $5 for it, but the person was super nice and paid me $10. suddenly, i had the urge to check out Chard56's auctions on Aquabid, and found my Sniper.

aside from that, collect cans. soda cans. i do it for my grandma, and she pays me $5 for a trash bag full. it'll get you spending money.

another way is to buy cheap. don't get the cheapest thing possible, but see if you can't find something on sale, check out Good Will and thrift shops. buy 2 gallon Kritter Keepers instead of tanks. that's how i do it. xD
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #8 
bettafish15

I'm 16, and I payed for my own fish stuff after I got my job. Before that, my mom payed for things, but I would make sure it was as cheap as possible. My 14g tank was free which helped alot too.

Edit: Lui, collecting cans is a great idea! I'm in a small town sadly, so I wouldnt be able to do that ;-; Not enough litterbugs! XD
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #9 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Most of my fish I collected over time... The supplies (tanks, food, all that jazz) were bought way back when I had a job that made it easy to pay for, but now being jobless my money's dwindled down. I've bought enough food to last me a long time thankfully, so I really have nothing to worry about... most I have to buy is StressCoat+ if I run out for healing fins and such, or if I have just enough money to add another variety of food to their drawer. (Yes, my fish actually have their own giant drawer in my dresser with all their food [except frozen] and a few fish towels in it... full.)

Some fish I got for free because they were sick or my bosses (I volunteer at the local pet store) force me not to pay because I work 9 hours a day for free. :P But that was only a few of them.

I scrape by nowadays by selling commissioned artwork to people. But even then, not a lot of people are willing to pay for it... especially when the economy sucks like it does. I'd love to get a new girl to complete the girls' tank (I lost the one/five to a crazy fungus) so there'll be less aggression, but if I can't get the money for her, it's good to know the girls I have aren't exactly raging at each other.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #10 
Kytkattin

It is my hobby. Just like anyone else spends "$$$" on boats, cars, travel, "insert hobby here". Sure, we might be more emotionally invested in our bettas because they are living creatures, but we own bettas because it is what we are interested in doing. If that interest wasn't there, we wouldn't. Even most kids end up with some money from their parents, and if bettas are really their thing, they will put their money towards that instead of movies/videogames/etc.

I only have 3 fish, and I have probably spent over $500 on just stuff for them. Lights, plants, sub, etc. It is just what I save for and want to spend my money on. I like trying new things. Like I just ordered another small light to try growing plants with. So my spending is, I will admit, ridiculous. I try to write reviews on the products I buy so that others can better spend their money on good quality products. :)
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote