Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #1 
TorchwoodMindfreak

Question Stocking for bookshelf tank?

Hello everyone :) I haven't had bettas since I was young. I used to keep them in a tiny one gallon bow front tank with an undergravel filter. I now know a lot more about fish than then lol. I have two 10 gallon freshwater community tanks and a 37 gallon saltwater tank. Anyway for christmas I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the 6.6 bookshelf tank from petco. I know I'd like a betta, I feel so sad for them in their little cups at the stores. So how do you guys think I should stock this? I think sorrorities are cool but from what I've read on here this is kind of small plus I don't have extra tanks if things don't work out. So I'm think a male with some corries, peppered maybe, I've had them before and find them entertaing. Or should I go split tank? And if so two or three sections? What do you guys think?
TorchwoodMindfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

If you're doing a comunity tank, I have no suggestions. I only keep bettas.
If you decide to divide, I would suggest you divide in 2 sections at the most.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #3 
LittleBettas

I think 10 gallons is MIN. for ANY other fish

However, you can divide the tank in half and have two bettas :D

And you can have some ghost shrimp in there is your guy(s) dont eat them :D
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:45 AM   #4 
JahBetta

Personally I'd do a small community anyday over a divider in anything less than a 6 gallon.

Snails, Shrimp for sure. A nice RCS colony in a 6.6g planted tank would be cool. You're going to want around 5-10 of any other species, especially to maintain characteristics and not be shy with the Betta. I'd say some species of Micro Rasbora; or a group of 3 Otto's; you may also choose to do Tetras. I have heard of a lot of people adding Pygmy Cories or 2-3 Cories to 5-10 gal tanks. I would do Pygmies as Cories like larger groups. I don't like Tetras in anything smaller than a 15, you can just tell they enjoy and like more room.

Just some advice; have been researching and researching for compatible tank mate as well; want the most peaceful fish for the tank, and the Betta and preferably no run ins with fin nipping.
JahBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:00 AM   #5 
BettaBuddy101

Pygmy cories generally tend to do best in 10G+, though the floor space is fairly large in the 6.6 bookshelves from what I remember, so you may get away with 5 of them. I must say,however, they are very active little guys for a small tank. While 5 isn't an ideal number (6+ is best), I don't think you'd want any more in that size tank, so it's up to you. You might want to try some endlers in there, 4/5 of them might do nicely. I'd go for all males for colour and a no-breeding guarantee. Personally, I'd just stick with the shrimp and the betta in there. I would find it a little too small for lots of other fish, but if you were going to try anything, I'd try the cories. If you had a 10G, you'd probably be able to have 8 or so cories, which would make a nicer shoal.
BettaBuddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:10 AM   #6 
Draug Isilme

I'd say your best bet with a tank that size is either snails or ghost shrimp- you just need to make sure your shrimp have enough cover/shelter... Of course, you need to monitor the tank and make sure the betta isn't too aggressive towards either of the species. They will turn ghost shrimp into snacks with a snail as an appetizer if you're not careful. It's usually best to introduce the tank mates first before introducing the betta before it has a chance to establish it's territory and will adapt to them being in the tank more easily in comparison to the other way around. I have a snail in my 5g with my betta. I'm lucky that my betta isn't overly aggressive and preoccupies himself with his reflection more. He's snipped at my snails antenna's, but luckily those grow back and that's about all my betta ever does- which is once in a blue moon. Sometimes my betta pecks at the algae thin I put in the tank for my snail to eat, so I put the little wafer in at night. That way my snail can eat without another fish stealing his food >.>;.... but um.. yeah! I hope that tid bit helps...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #7 
Anitax3x

I would divide it between two males to be honest. In a tank that small you would run into problems because however peaceful the other fish may be, you may end up freaking the male out, and he may start killing the other fish. You can't ever tell. I have a male ct who was all calm and tranquil in my 20 gal community, and then I noticed how he would chase fish, then after a few weeks, I ended up losing 7 out of my 9 fish lol. So be careful. I add shrimp regardless because my betta LOVE to eat them. So thats kind of what I use for alternate source of food. Snails not so much because my girls will kill them and just leave them to rot. (not a fun clean up job AT ALL) so I'd get two males and add some shrimp and maybe some live plants. Anubais is the easiest, I just let mine float, you could tie it to a rock or something, just don't bury it or it dies. And I'm doing anacharis and java fern. I think two boys divided with some shrimp and natural plants would be awesome.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #8 
BettaBuddy101

I personally wouldn't divide it as I like to give my bettas more than 3 gallons as a personal opinion. Moss balls, anubias and java fern might be some live plants to look into as they are pretty low-care plants.
BettaBuddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #9 
Anitax3x

Mossballs are great too!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #10 
EvilVOG

i have a 3 gallon the style of the 6 gallon you're looking at. I keep my Male Betta, a mystery snail and a couple plants in it. he's pretty happy.

I'd say Maybe a male, snail, and a couple cories, or 2-3 females and a snail. Algae likes to build heavy in these little self contained tanks. With a plant or 2 or some resonable decoration to hide in.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6.6, bookshelf, stocking, tank