Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #11 
JahBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
I would divide it between two males to be honest. In a tank that small you would run into problems because however peaceful the other fish may be, you may end up freaking the male out, and he may start killing the other fish. You can't ever tell. I have a male ct who was all calm and tranquil in my 20 gal community, and then I noticed how he would chase fish, then after a few weeks, I ended up losing 7 out of my 9 fish lol. So be careful. I add shrimp regardless because my betta LOVE to eat them. So thats kind of what I use for alternate source of food. Snails not so much because my girls will kill them and just leave them to rot. (not a fun clean up job AT ALL) so I'd get two males and add some shrimp and maybe some live plants. Anubais is the easiest, I just let mine float, you could tie it to a rock or something, just don't bury it or it dies. And I'm doing anacharis and java fern. I think two boys divided with some shrimp and natural plants would be awesome.
Do your shrimp reproduce enough to sustain a colony, yet still under control population of the fry with the Betta? Am going to do the same thing once I get some more Shrimp friendly plants in the tank this next week.
JahBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #12 
TorchwoodMindfreak

Okay so I'm thinking of about three different options:
1) 1 male betta with about 5 pygmy cories.
2) 1 male betta with ghost or cherry shrimp and a snail.
3) Split between 2 male bettas and maybe ghost shrimp/ snails.
I really like number one and three. But still what do you guys think?
TorchwoodMindfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #13 
Anitax3x

You need a minimum of 5 or 4 females together. Otherwise you'll have carnage in that tank. And Cories need a minimum of 4 so you'd be way over stocked.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #14 
bastage

I really love this tank & am going to get one as soon as I come across an appropriate shelf to put one on.

If it was me I would start out with nothing but some RCS & Lots of plants. Let the plants & the RCS get nice & established & then get a very nice looking male Betta. Maybe even a Giant.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #15 
Anitax3x

If go with option 3 . Gives ur makes room to swim and some plants with snails and shrimp would look awesome
Old 12-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #16 
Anitax3x

Ohhh I would do a giant! Wow +1 !!! I totally would get a nice looking giant some shrimp and snail. Oh wow . Great idea
Old 12-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #17 
Anitax3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JahBetta View Post
Do your shrimp reproduce enough to sustain a colony, yet still under control population of the fry with the Betta? Am going to do the same thing once I get some more Shrimp friendly plants in the tank this next week.
I get shrimp 10 for $1 at a Lps by my house. My sorority girls kill them constantly, so when the pop gets low I add more. However I do have a steady population of shrimp. My girls really do enjoy them though and sometimes I scoop them out of my 40 gal and add them to my two 10 gals I have divided between my males, they kill them immediately too that is if the shrimp don't hide fast enough. My betta's are much happier and even my platies and Cories in my 40 gal eat them. I feed flakes every other day for variety. It keeps my problems with sbd to a minimum. I swear by it honestly.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #18 
TorchwoodMindfreak

Would anyone do a three-way split? I want to save as many of the gorgeous little guys as I can. I went to look at some this weekend and saw some really pretty crowntails and a spadetail I think. If not I think I'll do the two-way split. I'm planning on using the binder and mesh method that I found on here. The tank has a HOB filter, is there a good way to get it to filter all the sections well?

*Just confirmed that I'm getting the tank *
TorchwoodMindfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #19 
tpocicat

A three way splint in my opinion is way too small a space for each betta unless you do a lot of water changes. If you had a 10 gallon, then a three way split would work.
I have the Petco bookshelf tank. I use it as a grow out tank for my fry.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #20 
Myates

Split 2 way or just the betta and ghost/RCS shrimp or a snail.. the bio load would be too great for anything more, added to the actual size of the tank. It may say 6.6 gallons, but you have to add in substrate and such which will diminish it even further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorchwoodMindfreak View Post
Okay so I'm thinking of about three different options:
1) 1 male betta with about 5 pygmy cories.
2) 1 male betta with ghost or cherry shrimp and a snail.
3) Split between 2 male bettas and maybe ghost shrimp/ snails.
I really like number one and three. But still what do you guys think?
6 fish in a 6 gallon is overload.. way too much bio load, and not recommended.. why most experienced keepers here will tell you that you shouldn't add in another fish in anything under 10 gallons.. it's not just the size of the tank you are looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
i have a 3 gallon the style of the 6 gallon you're looking at. I keep my Male Betta, a mystery snail and a couple plants in it. he's pretty happy.

I'd say Maybe a male, snail, and a couple cories, or 2-3 females and a snail. Algae likes to build heavy in these little self contained tanks. With a plant or 2 or some resonable decoration to hide in.
2-3 females is not enough females, as 2-3 will rip each other apart and you will end up with one left, that would be hurt. A sorority needs to be larger and in a 10 gal minimum because they do need the space....

Snails have a huge bio load just on themselves alone- with snails in a tank you would have to do extra water changes- so having a snail, a betta and a couple of cories (which they do better in groups of 4+) is well over the limit for that tank.

It's a 6 gal, less with substrate.. as mentioned by others.. divide it by 2, or 1 snail, or a good colony of shrimps (shrimps have small bio loads, but make good betta snacks) is the safest way to keep that tank.. anything more and you risk causing harm with spiked chemistry at the least.

Last edited by Myates; 12-05-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6.6, bookshelf, stocking, tank