Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #1 
Salamandair

Could this be due to my new heater?

Hi all!

I seem to be having a problem with Casper, my VT. I got two heaters yesterday and put it in both Amerigo and Casper's tanks. They both seem to be working fine (The water IS a little cloudy, but I'm not sure if that's due to the water being heater or what!) and holding steady. Amerigo is fine and I woke up to him swimming around. I tried to find Casper and couldn't. I eventually found him under his little lamp, lying on the bottom.

Could this be due to the new heater? I bought a Top Fin 25 Watt Heater. I'm going to do a 100% water change since he is acting funny.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3.5 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 77
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Bachelor!

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 pellets a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat +

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/a

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Clamped fins, lethargic
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Normally, he's swimming around and energetic. Now, he's lying on the bottom, clamped fins and swims only when I tap the tank
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This AM
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Doing a 100% water change
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, maybe a year or two?

Last edited by Salamandair; 12-02-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Salamandair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #2 
Salamandair

Update: Put him in the new tank without the heater and he's...just about the same .__. Help!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #3 
Pataflafla

I had the same issue with that brand.

I took out my betta immediately, did a 100% change on his cup, and put in 1 tsp/gal epsom salt. Changed his water a few hours later and added the same amount of epsom salt.

The next day he looked worse and his fins were turning black, so I increased the dose to 2 tsp/gal and continued twice daily 100% changes. The black fell off and he continued to look sickly and uncomfortable, but recovered between the third and fourth day.

I kept him in his cup while I floated him in the tank with the Topfin heater, which I threw out after getting my Eheim Jager heater that hasn't caused any issues.

I'm going to strongly recommend getting rid of the Topfn heater since my problem persisted even after incredibly thorough rinsing, soaking, and testing. It may heat reliably, but there's something off with it.

Here's the thread I created for my issue: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=84139
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #4 
Salamandair

I read through the post and yikes! I'm glad Rachet lived through that.

As far as I can tell from Casper, He doesn't SEEM to have any black on the edge of his fins. I have to go to work in a half hour and my camera is dead, so no pictures, sadly.

Amerigo is in the 1 gallon at the moment, so should I switch these guys out and start Casper on 1 tsp ES/gal when I get on my break later? I have no epsom salt at the moment, but I can get it from work.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #5 
Salamandair

And just as an add, When I get the chance, I'm going to return the heater. I'm not taking another risk with it. I'm probably gonna order an Elite instead.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #6 
Salamandair

Update: Just put him in a one gallon with 1 tsp ES/Gal and dosed the water with stress coat. Will update if anything changes.