Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #11 
LittleBettas

Believe it or not, rats make AMAZING pets, especially for first timers, growing up, that is all my sisters had (I've alwas been more of a guinea pig or rabbit person :) )
They can be potty trained (mice, from what I know, cannot)
They can be taught ticks (mice can also, but more limited)
They are VERY personable (my younger sisters first rat, Lex, would run up to the bars of his cage and stick his nose through when she was near (he ignored everyone else) and he would sit next to her while she did HW and everything)
They SHOULD be vetted (though same is true for all animals, rats, improperly bred, are more likely to develop tumors an cancer :/ )

You should TRY to get a rat from a good breeder... or at the least, find a petstore that takes good care of them (you an also look on Craigslist and other such rehoming sites to see if anyone is selling them)

Most importatly
Rats are SOCIAL creatures,if you can not spend a lot of time with them, you should get two (female femaleis prefered, though I have heard of male male siblings coexisting, and you can do a male female and have the male neutered)
They needa special diet while the store bought food can work, they should also have things like raw/dried noodles, beans, cereals, and such mixed in, they need fruits and vegies, and its rec. you give a rat at LEAST one hour of pure free time out of his cage to play (though more the better)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #12 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
Believe it or not, rats make AMAZING pets, especially for first timers, growing up, that is all my sisters had (I've alwas been more of a guinea pig or rabbit person :) )
They can be potty trained (mice, from what I know, cannot)
They can be taught ticks (mice can also, but more limited)
They are VERY personable (my younger sisters first rat, Lex, would run up to the bars of his cage and stick his nose through when she was near (he ignored everyone else) and he would sit next to her while she did HW and everything)
They SHOULD be vetted (though same is true for all animals, rats, improperly bred, are more likely to develop tumors an cancer :/ )

You should TRY to get a rat from a good breeder... or at the least, find a petstore that takes good care of them (you an also look on Craigslist and other such rehoming sites to see if anyone is selling them)

Most importatly
Rats are SOCIAL creatures,if you can not spend a lot of time with them, you should get two (female femaleis prefered, though I have heard of male male siblings coexisting, and you can do a male female and have the male neutered)
They needa special diet while the store bought food can work, they should also have things like raw/dried noodles, beans, cereals, and such mixed in, they need fruits and vegies, and its rec. you give a rat at LEAST one hour of pure free time out of his cage to play (though more the better)
I agree with you whole-heartedly, but I am not going to persuade anyone who says they are scared of Rats to buy one. I would suggest systematic desensitization if someone thinks they might want to get over this fear, but going with what you said and what I already know, rats are far too social for someone with a fear of them.
As for "potty training" rats. I somehow managed to teach Isis to communicate with me that she needed to pee. She would use a squeak to let me know. Such a smart girl.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #13 
Gloria

Thanks little Betta. I think the only thing I like about the idea of a rat is as you have mentioned, they are more social with their owner and can be trained, are lovely and will show you love. etc. but they still kinda just creep me out. They seem so much bigger than mice.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #14 
Rosso1011

Do not feed dried beans, it is not good for them, at least in rats. Also, do not know about mice, but rats can pass gas. It's got to be uncomfortable for them.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #15 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Thanks little Betta. I think the only thing I like about the idea of a rat is as you have mentioned, they are more social with their owner and can be trained, are lovely and will show you love. etc. but they still kinda just creep me out. They seem so much bigger than mice.
I have a simialr issue, the tails creep me out, lol, but they do grow on you :)

I wouldnt try to convince you, just trying to make sure you have as much knowledge as possible

My older sister had a thing about them being bigger than mice (she thought mice were cute), she ended up getting a baby rat naed Oscar, adorabe little guy and by the time he turned into the fat oalf that boy rats are known to be wa comepletely star struck by him :)

And 16 years of rat experiance, I have never heard a rat fart.... Im sure they pass gass, but believe it or not RAW beans (not the squishy kinds from cans that we eat) are actually really good for them in small amounts
Old 12-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #16 
cajunamy
Banned

Sweeda is the one to ask about mice :)

I had a pair for a short time, but they died - I plan to get another couple in the future and remedy the problem I had the first time around.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #17 
Gloria

My brothers father used to have rats (batman and robyn). They creeped me out too, i just to scream if they came near me, they just creeped me out. Theres just something about them.. dunno. for now i think ill stick to the mouse thing :)
Can you put mice in one of those hamster wheel things?
like this?
Name:  hamster-ball.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  66.0 KB

Thank Cajun, I will have to get into contact with Sweeda then :)
how did you find having mice? Did you like it?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #18 
LittleBettas

No, their feet and toes can get stuck/caught in the whole and ripped off.... gross... those things shoulnt even be used for hamsters really, I had a hamster whose toe got caught in it :/
There ARE safe ones on the market though, more pricey Im sure though :/ ...
Old 12-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #19 
Rosso1011

Always try to find solid wheels of any kind, as mentioned above. Their feet can get caught. Think of it the same way as you think of the platforms... just not good for their feet in general.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #20 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
I have a simialr issue, the tails creep me out, lol, but they do grow on you :)

And 16 years of rat experiance, I have never heard a rat fart.... Im sure they pass gass, but believe it or not RAW beans (not the squishy kinds from cans that we eat) are actually really good for them in small amounts
You're not missing anything when they do, lol. It was funny though hearing it for the first time. I should add in that rats cannot burp or regurgitate. They can have gas though.