Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2011, 01:22 AM   #31 
Pitluvs

But but, rats are cute when they're bigger too hehe

Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:43 AM   #32 
Gloria

I love that first one but the others.. eh. lol. im a baby. I havent even convinced my boyfriend if i can have the mouse yet lol. thats going to be the hardest part
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #33 
guardianfyre

Sorry for coming into this late. Wanted to catch a few things that were mentioned.

Wire cages make great homes for mice (as mentioned) because they allow for airflow to evaporate the urine (smells less, healthier for the mouse's lungs). You'll have to be vigilant if you do get one with a plastic bottom. Mice can be chewers if they're bored, so make sure to check the tray whenever you clean it to be sure that they aren't trying to tunnel out. Also, watch the bar spacing on the wires. If a mouse can get its head through the wires, the rest of the body can follow. I don't recommend Critter Trail style cages for mice. Too difficult to clean with all of those tubes and the mice tend to get gunky from the buildup of stuff in them.

You will want to clean the cage weekly at least, or it will start to smell. Carefresh and other paper products work great, but can be on the expensive end of things. Aspen is more cost effective, but isn't as liquid and odor absorbent. Whichever you choose, make sure to have the bedding about 2 inches deep. The mice will make tunnels in it which helps to alleviate boredom. I'll also add the caution about cedar and pine. Both of these woods come from evergreens which have a very potent sap. Putting animals of any kind on them can cause respiratory distress and lung damage. It'd be like us breathing in pinesol all the time. Smells great, but that's the only good thing about it.

When you go to clean the cage, you can use a little vinegar and water or lemon juice and water to disinfect it. If you really need to get it super clean, you can use Dawn dishsoap, just make sure to wash everything thoroughly.

Plastic wheels, houses and shelves work great, though I do recommend that you get a wide ceramic food dish for them. They like to dig through their food and the wide dish makes it less likely that they will spill it over the sides (especially if you don't fill it all of the way. I use ceramic because it's easily washable and the mice cant destroy it by mistaking it for the food that's in it. Either get a water bottle that mounts on the outside of the cage, or get a glass one. Mice are notorious for damaging their water bottles.

As far as food goes, I'm a big fan of Mazuri rodent foods (I'd say Oxbow too, but they don't make a mouse food.). My guinea pigs, chinchillas, and mice all get fed Mazuri brand foods. There aren't any seeds, artificial colors, or artificial flavors. It comes in a block form to guarantee that the mice get a balanced diet. If you feed seed mixes, they tend to eat all the fattiest bits and leave (or hide/bury) the rest. Sunflower seeds, peanuts, etc. which can lead to health problems down the road (overweight, fatty tumors, etc.). These are good as treats, but not as a regular food.

If you're planning on only having a single mouse, go with a male. The males, while social if there are females present, will fight if the only other mouse is another male. Because of the way mouse society works, males will often be by themselves, and can be kept this way in a captive setting. The females on the other hand should be kept in a pair at least, 4 or more is better. They are highly social and will be timid and frightened if kept by themselves.

As far as the ball goes. Yes, they can be dangerous to little mousy toes, so they are generally not a good idea. There are alternatives, though. I know I dissed the Critter Trail's tubes, but this is one exception I'd make:

As the mouse walks around the circle tube, it spins around the center tube. Most of the air exchange inside the tubes happens along the seam. Very little to no danger for the mouse while it enjoys itself. You can even put multiple mice in at one time, which you can't do in a ball.
Another option is the Critter Cruiser:

All of the air holes are in the sides with none on the running surface itself, but it only gives the animal two directions to run in. And, just like the ball, you can only have one mouse in it at a time.

Hope the info helps.
guardianfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:27 AM   #34 
Gloria

wow!! Thank you SO much... That was some good info to read :)
I have quite a while before I even possibly get a mouse. I like i'll get 2 females. I sitll unsure on what type of cage I will get but i will eventually figure it out.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #35 
Rosso1011

If you can post links to what you're considering we can always help out.

Guardianfyre, good add. I did not catch some of the specifics that I didn't put in and those look like cool toys. As a former rat owner, my girls would have never used those so I don't know much about the available toys for mice.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #36 
Pitluvs

What great advice given!! *applauds* It's nice to see proper advice, not just "I did it this way and you should too" stuff.

I have to second the block type of foods, they get all they need instead of picking at what they like and leaving stuff behind (like kids, they don't want to eat the good stuff haha). Mazuri is great! We feel Living World Hamster Extursion to our rats, or Harlan Teklad but that can be bought only through laboratories. Oxbow is great too, I hear they changed the formula so it tastes better.

And hammocks, they love love hammocks!
Old 12-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #37 
Rosso1011

If you can find a small enough rope and you have an adequate size cage, rodents like to climb things. Make sure to keep in mind the material of the rope though. Don't want something that looks like it can catch toenails easily. If you use hammocks, keep an eye on them for the corners being chewed, it is in every rodents nature to chew. You can find lots of little things to make toys out of, just watch the material being used, please!

Last edited by Rosso1011; 12-04-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #38 
Pitluvs

I take strips of Fleece and braid them into ropes for my guys. I use shower curtain hooks and put them every where in cage :) Fleece is good for little nails, avoid towels or terry with the little loops :)
Old 12-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #39 
guardianfyre

Thanks, y'all. Glad you liked my info.

I make the hammocks for my pets out of fleece cloth. Just cut a hole in each corner and use strings made of the fleece to tie it up. They eventually manage to break a string or chew enough of the hole to cause it to break, but a yard of the fabric will make about 4-8 mouse size hammocks or 2 chinchilla size. I use small carabiners to hold things up in my cages.

For more chew toys/things to climb than you can find in the small animal section, try checking in the bird toy aisle. All kinds of things to chew (tough "cookies", seashells, wood, sisal rope, etc.), ladders, rings, bells, shiny things, etc. Office supplies can make great playtoys too. My mice have a set of letter sorting bins as shelves in their cage. Like this:

Don't be afraid to be creative. Just remember to pick things that their toes won't get caught on and if it's edible, make sure it's safe for the mice. I usually shoot for "easily cleanable" too.
guardianfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #40 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
What great advice given!! *applauds* It's nice to see proper advice, not just "I did it this way and you should too" stuff.
I'm honestly glad to see there are other rodent owners here helping out with the advice for toys, food, and the like. I really feel that any pet owner should be doing they can for taking care of their pet, so it's good to see other people passing along good info for quality pet care.