Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #1 
betta lover1507

i know i can't do anything ... how do i comfort her atleast?

well my new girl, Katrina i got her 8 days ago... now she has dropsy. i separated all of my girls into containers... i know dropsy there is no known cure but can some one tell me how to comfort her before she goes? please and thank you... i wish i could've had her longer, my breeding line broke now...
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #2 
roadplug

it sounds like your sure what she has. There probably isn't much to do with comfort, except a warm, quiet tank. A human can't comfort a fish in human terms, and rest knowing that your fish is not expecting you to do anything.

If you decide she is suffering too much you could consider euthanizing her. there are several ways to do it, discuses here. I made the decision to do it for one of my fish, that i was the one who hurt him. It was hard, but it end the suffering of the fishy and you.

I hope my words helped a little.
Mia
roadplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

awww sorry to hear!! Best you can do, is keep her in a warm, quiet and dark place. That's all I could do with my Madame... you could put her down, or let her die on her own
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #4 
roadplug

Well, if you decide not to euthanize her, YOU are still not 'letting' her die. The disease she has will end her life. There is nothing you can do, but keep her safe and warm if you decide not to euthanize. And bless you for being compassionate and caring enough to want to help her through this time. I'm sure it is harder on you, than it will be on her.
even disease is a natural state
[Dis-ease, simply means, 'not at ease.']
Take good care of you.
Mia
Old 11-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

sorry ignore my previous post.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 11-29-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #6 
Silverfang

with dropsy all you can do is give her clean warm water until it's the end (or you decide to help her pass). 3 tsp/gal epsom salt might help her be a big more comfortable. I had a girl with dropsy, she was still fiesty for days, then she stopped eating. I'm sorry you have to suffer through this with her.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #7 
mrbprint

Every day, in aquariums, pet stores, and private homes, fish pass away, often times largely unnoticed. Many suffered in their last days or hours, grappling with disease, being attacked by tankmates, or having their bodies trapped against filters when they grew too weak to swim. So few fish have lived well on this earth, being used as decorations or disposable pets instead of being recognized as the special individuals that each of them are.

Thankfully for them, there is a better place.

We’ve all heard about the Rainbow Bridge, where dogs and cats and other pets cross over into the next life, where they run and play healthy and whole until their special person comes to retrieve them one day. What most people do not know is that there is a beautiful, flowing creek running under the Rainbow Bridge, leading to many vast lakes, swamps, rivers, and even oceans, where fish can live in bliss and harmony after what is all too often a short life of suffering.

You see, when a fish passes away, his spirit leaves the pain of his body and enters warm, flowing waters. There, he finds himself whole; tattered fins are restored, fungus-clogged gills are free and functional, open wounds are healed, and “pinecone” scales lay flat. There are other fish there, but none of them chase, nip fins, or threaten. The current is never too strong, the water temperature is always just right, and there and plants and rocks to hide amongst – not that there is anything to fear. Social fish swim close with their peers, while solitary species always have enough space for comfort. They all travel through these peaceful waters in one great school towards their destination.

Eventually, the waters of the creek are illuminated with the technicolor glow of the beautiful rainbow arching high above. Cats, dogs, rabbits – every animal you can imagine – cavorts above them, but the fish needn’t fear predation or harm. As they flow beneath the rainbow, they come to a crossroads; little streams leading to the ideal habitat of each species. There are warm stretches of rice paddies for the bettas. There are cool, vegetated ponds for the goldfish and koi. Bright, welcoming reefs greet the oceanic fish, and warm, freshwater ponds, rivers, and creeks spread wide for the tropical species.

The fish huddle at the cross-roads tentatively, nervous of what awaits them next. Maybe some are unused to wide spaces; others have never seen their natural habitat. Some are afraid larger fish will eat them if they break away from the group. But finally, one will swim forwards. His fins will wriggle with excitement, and he will zip through the water gleefully, towards his new home in the next life. There, he will find others of his kind, though a fight will never occur. Food will be plentiful and living, not freeze-dried or pelleted. There will be no harsh lights or noisy filters, because the waters here are always ideal for their inhabitants.

And perhaps, if the fish had a special someone who cared in their life, that person will one day sit by the lake or shore or riverbed, where he or she will be recognized by a beloved pet. A flick of the fins and a friendly snout poking through the water’s surface will reunite the two at last, with the message passed between them:

It’s all going to be okay now…

~ Author Unknown
mrbprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #8 
roadplug

Rainbow Bridge is a nice fluffy Disney-style story, thanks for sharing, I thought the fish part was nice.

It is still normal to feel sad when our fishies leave us, especially when its unexpected, like when disease or an accident happens. And its hard to see them, any pet or human, suffer before they pass.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #9 
Myates

Poor girl :(
You can put her in 2 teaspoons/gal of Epsom Salt- it's used to help cure dropsy.. it will make her more comfortable. Use ES with Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets while performing 100% daily water changes.. has she started pineconing yet? If not, then you may be able to bring her back, as if caught early, a lot of success has been made in healing them. How do you know for sure it is dropsy?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #10 
irbyma7297

awww

thats so sad. when i was 12, i had a betta named tiger lily,he lived for a year until i moved and started only feeding him blood worms.
he refused to eat them, and had to die a slow painful death.I cried for a full hour when he passed. and now, looking back at his life, it makes me feel like i had not just killed someone, but torture him his whole life as well.
He was kept in a 1/2 gallon bowl, with no filter and 1 full change every two weeks.
We had forgotten to buy a net, so when i cleaned his tank, i had to scoop him out with my hand. One time, my friend was over, we were cleaning his tank, and i was returning to his tank. my friend wanted to do it. i did not let her. so she cupped her hands over the top of the bowl, she did it quickly, and i accidentaly dropped him into her hand, he jumped into the sink, and almost went down the drain.
a month later, i got home from school, and my friend was already there, and she had fed him 20 pellets, and he was quickly scarfing them down.
but i loved him so much,and i had no idea that i was abusing him.
I took horrible care of him, as you can tell.

I would understand if everyone on this website would hate me, i would too.

After that, i was too scared to ever get another betta, but i recently decided to get another, prince. When i got him... i swore to myself that i would take care of him.
irbyma7297 is offline   Reply With Quote