Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #1 
Badjer

Heaters for 2.5 gallons?

I have two 2.5 gallon tanks that are currently unheated. In the day, the water gets around 80 degrees, but at night it drops into the low 60's. Obviously, this is unacceptable and I've been looking for a heater that will work for the tanks. Problem is, I'm paranoid to buy a heater without knowing that it will work for 2.5 gallon tanks.

Some recommendations for a good, reliable, relatively cheap heater would be fabulous. (:
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #2 
EvilVOG

get something that's adjustable. they make super cheap, small "preset" ones that don't work very good, stay away from those. The consensus is 5 watts per gallon so you want a 15w (it will probably say 10 gallon on it).
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:04 PM   #3 
NoahG

I use a Marineland Stealth Pro 10-watt in my 2.5-gallon and it's been working great so far; my room's fairly cold for the most part and it has kept the water steady at 80F -- lowest I've seen it at was 79F. It's not adjustable, but that hasn't caused me any issues so far.

Otherwise, a lot of people recommend Elite heaters (I believe it's their 25-watts that are adjustable and that a number of people use in their smaller, 2.5- and 3-gallon tanks) as well as Eheim Jager heaters (also offer 25-watts, I believe). You could probably find both of these on Amazon inexpensively if nowhere else, and possibly the Stealth Pro heater as well.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #4 
BasilBetta87

Most people will recommend the Hagen Elite 25 watt heater. I personally have used the Marina C10 and the Stealth Pro and both have kept my tank at a steady temp.
BasilBetta87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #5 
Silverfang

I must recommend http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-THEO-Sub.../dp/B0006JLPG8

I use it in my 2.5 gal and it keeps it a toasty 80. I've used the preset marina C10s, but they haven't been overly effective, or stable.

My guess it is more reliant on the temperature, and we've got it fairly cold here.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #6 
JahBetta

^ Hydor. If the THEO 25w is too much you could try the Hydor Mini I am pretty sure they make that.

I'd stay away from the Stealth personally, as I have read about them failing the most.
JahBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #7 
LittleBettas

I use the Marina C10 for my 2.5
It works pretty good, it keeps the temp at 77, though it turns on and off constantly, its one of my first heaters and was easy to use and I have had no probems with it
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #8 
Badjer

I think I'm going to go with the Elite, as it seems to have good reviews and be one if the cheaper heaters available. Thanks for all the help! (:
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:21 AM   #9 
acadialover

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasilBetta87 View Post
Most people will recommend the Hagen Elite 25 watt heater. I personally have used the Marina C10 and the Stealth Pro and both have kept my tank at a steady temp.
hmmm. I believe that the STealth from Marineland have been recalled due to sticking and boiling. They told me to send it back and they would replace it with something else, probably the visitherm.
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:42 AM   #10 
EvilVOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadialover View Post
hmmm. I believe that the STealth from Marineland have been recalled due to sticking and boiling. They told me to send it back and they would replace it with something else, probably the visitherm.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11202.html

confirmed... idk what they expect me to do while my heater is in the mail.

I have a couple of these

the 10 watt 3 gallon isn't listed however.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote