Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #1 
Belated

Treating fin rot, a quick question?

Soda's fins look very ragged at the edges today, so after a few days of 50% daily changes, I've come to the conclusion that he needs salt treatment. I've mixed up some AQ salt water - 1 teaspoon to a gallon (~4L), correct? Then I put that in a very small, thoroughly cleaned plastic bucket, which is now floating in his tank to get to the same temperature. (He keeps flaring at the patterns on the sides. x3) But how do I introduce him to the water? as in, will it shock him to suddenly be thrown into salty water?
Belated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #2 
EvilVOG

well if you can, get a bag or cup for him, and fill it with him and the tank water, float for 15 in the qt tank to get used to it's temp., and then replace 25% of the bag water with QT tank (salt) water every 5-10 min twice, then 75% the 3rd, and after that set him free in the QT.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #3 
Belated

Thank you - now I just have to catch him. xD;;
Old 12-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

When doing a salt treatment-Qt in a small bare container-like the small temporary cups some Bettas are sold in and attach it to the side of the tank so it doesn't sink or get knocked around by the filter-to maintain water temp during the 10 day treatment and cover so he doesn't jump out.

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the salt 1tsp/gal and tannins if you have some-let this steep for at least 30min to start the tannins releasing and salt dissolve and use this premixed like temp water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour to get them acclimated to the chemistry....Then daily 100% starting in 24h using the premixed treatment water for 10 days......

But....you also need to find out the cause of the tattered fins......if the fins are just tattered....I wouldn't do the salt treatment...just a clean water treatment and it will take more than a few days to see re-growth and weeks to months for full re-growth of the damage.....

Tells us more about the tank-how big, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, type of decoration and substrate, appetite, amount and type of food, how long have you had him and behavior changes along with the tattered fin...

A pic would really help too.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #5 
Belated

Having trouble getting a picture, because he won't sit still and my QT bucket is white. But I am pretty certain it's fin rot; it started as a small hole in his tail, which then turned to a choppy-looking edge to his tail. A day later, after doing a water change, I noticed that there were several small pinholes in his tail. I QTed him then in clean water, and now small portions look slightly... dry, I guess? I don't know how to describe it, but they're a different texture to the rest of his tail, and it looks rather fragile. It's only in very tiny areas of his tail, around the edge, though one of the early holes has formed into a small (a bit less than 1cm) split down the edge of a ray. The membrane of his tail also seems to be receding in a jagged way.

So yesterday I moved him to a 1tsp/gal AQ salt mixture in a small QT bucket floating in his tank. I plan to do this until I see a bit of new growth? I'm also adding a little more Prime than I normally would, as per the recommendation of the people I bought him from, and am feeding him bloodworms every 3rd meal (I feed 2 pellets in the morning, 2/3 at night, alternating (omega one betta buffet)).

He is kept in a 5gal, filtered, heated-when-necessary tank, which is still mid-cycle, as far as I can tell. I've had him a little over 3 weeks. No live plants, tank stays at 79-81F without heater as it's summer in Australia, silk plants and a mug only for decor, plain gravel substrate, and absolutely no behaviour changes that I can see.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

With some of the long heavy fin males...the space and water movement can be a cause of fin damage...kinda like the flag blowing in the wind effect.....every Betta is different in their tolerance to the space and water movement.....some can never tolerate it while other can without issues......items in the tank can also be a cause-like the substrate or decoration-even items that they can get their tail pinched in can do the damage....you also need to make sure its not tail biting.....this can be hard sometimes since they may not bite in front of you....sometimes you can tell by the damage itself......

Good that he is still eating and no behavior change....be careful and don't over treat and give the fins time to re-grow.....

It can be a challenge to get a good pic of a moving target...lol.....sometimes you have to take a lot of pic to get just one good pic......

Good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #7 
Belated

Here are some photos I took; they're not great, but hopefully you can see the damage to his tail with this. They don't appear to be improving, and he has now spent 3 days in a 1tsp/gal solution of AQ salt.

He has always had black edges to his fins, but now they seem to be going sort of transparent inside the black edging.