Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #1 
Edifiler

Sbd :(

Hey guys, Peaches recently contracted SBD (i think) ._. Partly my fault for feeding him a little bit more for being a good boy :( Poor boy
For the past 2 days he hasnt been active and today he has now slanted to the side and now lies horizontally ._.
Not being a expert of illness, i took him out and put him in a QT tank and put in some API stress coat+. I read that epsom salt is a good treatment against SBD, but i do not have atm. I would run to the shops to get some but being sunday, all shops are closed in Perth ._.
its been around 1-2 hours since i QT him and added some stress coat, and his now back to vertical, with the occasional horizontal. He has also started coming up for air. I'll change the water 100% every alternate day?
My question is, should i get epsom salt tmr and treat him with it? Or should i continue with the stresscoat ( though i dont think stresscoat was meant for SBD ._. )

Housing
What size is your tank? 25L / 6.6G
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Just the filter
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta pellets, blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets a day, one in the morning, one at night and around 4-6 blood worms a day, 2-3 in the morning, 2-3 at night.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every weekend, sunday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Remove about 10-20% and replace with water thats been sitting out.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None, but recently ive been adding stress coat.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Test kit does not show but stresscoat helps to remove chlorine and ammonia (thats what it says ;X)
Nitrite: Around 20ppm ( ive been doing water change for it)
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: around 7 - 7.5
Hardness: 120
Alkalinity: Not sure

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Just bloated at the bladder, breathing hard.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Less active, sticks to the surface / stays at the bottom, does not want to eat, lethargic, and recently, lying horizontally at the bottom.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 3 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? QT it and added a little more stresscoat.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, but he was much bigger then the rest of the bettas at the pet store.

Hope this helps ._. Thx in advance.
Edifiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #2 
EvilVOG

idk about where your from, but epsom salt isn't an aquarium-specific item, so you may be able to get some at combination grocery/ general goods store, K-mart if you have them, something like that. Unless those are closed too. They don't ever close here.

sorry i don't have more help for you.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:30 AM   #3 
LittleBettas

I got espom salt (make sure its unscented) at Walmart for like $5
Stress coat is not a cure for SBD, he will need to be fasted for two days... if that does not help, use the espom salt, 1 tp per gallon of water

Are you feeding freeze dried blood worms? those hav been known to cause bloat

you can feed 6 pellets a day, 3 in the morning, 3 at night
and use the bloodworms as an occasional treat (or as I do, I feed 1-2 bloodworms then fast them for the rest of the day)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:31 AM   #4 
Edifiler

Im from Perth, Australia and everything closes on sunday cept those that need to be open. I'll try and get some epsom salt from the grocery store tmr :D
As for the food, i do not have freeze dried bloodworms, instead i have the frozen ones. But they started to turn bad after a while so i washed them and sun dried them myself.
I'll be sure to fast him for a few more days before i try to feed him again ._.
thx :D
Old 12-04-2011, 04:04 AM   #5 
earthworm88

Your Peaches is spoilt from the yummy treat on a daily basis!
You should feed your Peaches total of 4 pellets a day (higher frequency is better if possible) and keep the frozen bloodworms as occasional treat. What I do is divide the frozen cube into 6 chunks, and only take one chunk out to thaw to be divided among my three over a period of 2 days. Feed them quickly and put it back in the fridge immediately. So it depends on how many you have to feed, you may have to cut it into even smaller chunks.

Also, I am not an expert in cycling tank, but I think you hadn't been doing enough water changes. So I suspect he may have other issue besides being bloated with SBD. Hopefully someone here can give you some advice for the cycling of the tank etc.

As other posters said, Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate and can be purchased from grocery store or pharmacy. Mix 1 tsp of ES into 1 gal (~4 liter) of conditioned water. Continue this treatment by changing 100% water daily (must be same temp water) for the next 10 days.

Good luck!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #6 
Edifiler

Haha i know his spoilt ;P ive been to nice to him :P
As for the pellets, i'll be sure to increase it gradually :D And blood worms will be reserved as treats. Should i also purchase some other kind of food for him so he can have a variety?
I'll also be sure to increase the amount of water i change each week since my tanks already cycled.
thx for the post :D
Old 12-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #7 
earthworm88

Just in case I was not clear. I meant 4 pellets for the day (a couple more if they are baby pellets). Increase in frequency meaning, feed one pellet each time for 4 times a day When I am home, mine get 4 feeding a day (4 pellets total): breakfast, lunch, high tea, and dinner lol

It's always nice to have a variety of foods for our beloved bettas. If you can get your hands on frozen daphnia or brine shrimp, they love those too! Sadly I can only get frozen bloodworms, but that's still better than nothing I guess Some bettas are pickier eater than others, but they like most food unless they are sick
Old 12-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #8 
Edifiler

Haha yup i understood your meaning of 4 pellets :P
I just did a water change for peaches and he seems better :P
He also ate 1 or 2 blood worms :D I hope he;ll start to eat more soon. As for his colouring, his now a little pale ._. but at least he is more vertical now :D
Old 12-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #9 
earthworm88

Interested in food is always a good sign Pale usually means they are stressed. Do you notice the horizontal stress line on your Peaches? How big is the QT he is in now? If you leave him in a 1 gal QT, just do the epsom salt solution and change the water daily. Try not to disturb him too many times ie water changing if can be avoided.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #10 
Edifiler

Hmm ive been leaving him alone as much as i can ._. ive placed a small white board over his tank to give him more darkness ._. as for horizontal stripes, none has shown yet. His body is just transpareny ._.
The QT his in right now isnt really big and tbh its a temporary QT until i can get a bigger one. Tmr im going to the shops to get some epsom salt and a bigger QT if i can.