Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #1 
Gizmothefreaky

What is this!?

This crap has killed several of my fish, i am beginning to think it isnt Columnaris after all... I dont want to go into the details of housing and all that, i know that is all good, water is clean, temp is right (for treatment)... So what the heck is killing my fish!? It has killed seven of my fish so far, and this girl will be eight if i cant freaking stop it!
I took this picture with my phone... Sorry.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #2 
Gizmothefreaky

I just changed the water in her cup and the fuzz washed off around her tail, but it is now super super red under where it was... >.<
Old 12-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #3 
EvilVOG

Fungus. most of what i read is water changes and cleaning and an anti-fungal treatment
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #4 
Gizmothefreaky

Well, no, really? I figured that... But what KIND of fungus?

Also, sorry if i sound angry, i am not upset at you, but rather at this freaking stuff taking over my tank. It took my favorite boy as well, and i am in a rage here.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:14 AM   #5 
EvilVOG

i don't think anyone truly knows, i've seen it called Columnaris, Body fungus, Mouth rot, fish fungus, Saprolegnia, it seems to all be the same thing.

At this point i think i would just pull everything from the tank and boil anything that's not living and dose the fish with anti-fungus with 100% water changes in cups. it sounds like this fungus is aggressive, and you probably need to get aggressive with the treatment, and it may still not be enough sadly. That's the tough thing about keeping small fish, they're just not real resistant to this kind of stuff, and by the time we know something's wrong, it's most often already too late. Hope yours make it.

Last edited by EvilVOG; 12-04-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #6 
Pitluvs

This looks like the same thing my Yoshe had, my breeder has it in her tank now as well. Yoshe's looked like this but the strands were thicker, and it was a big spot on her side. I used Maracyn and it fell off but it left a hole on her side she couldn't fight :( Sorry to hear :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #7 
vilmarisv

Yes, definitely fungus... here's a little reading on that:
"Fish fungus is a fluffy white or gray growth caused by Saprolegnia spores. The spores are present in most freshwater aquariums in small numbers, but healthy fish do not become infected because their protective slime layer provides a barrier against a broad spectrum of aquarium bacteria. However, if a fish is injured and a wound is left open to infection in dirty water, fish fungus can develop. Cure infected fish with a commercial anti-fungus treatment."

And this is from Victoria's (bettysplendens) website:
Symptoms: White or gray stringy growth or film on most of the body, but may spread to tail & fins.
Suggests: BodyFungus(Columnaris) is actually a bacterial problem. Treatment: Maracyn or Clout
Prevention: Keep your Betta clean. Disease may be introduced by live foods.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:23 AM   #8 
Gizmothefreaky

The only thing i have done differently was feed bloodworms from a new package...

I have her cupped and the rest of the girls too, in 3 tsp/gal. aq salt, but i cant go out and get a fungus treatment right now... Will the AQ salt work to kill whatever it is?

Is there any way to save the sand i have in there, or will i have to start over? I know all of the plants/decor can be boiled... What about the live plants?

OH! And there are also Kuhli loaches and snails in there... Will this affect them?

Last edited by Gizmothefreaky; 12-04-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:26 AM   #9 
Pitluvs

Honestly, with something this contageous and fast killing, I usually skip to the meds. I usually have some on hand, but my pet store stopped selling Maracyn. I guess it worked too well. I have some API Pro Series stuff but never used it yet. Good luck, I hope your girl pulls through and no one else is infected.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #10 
EvilVOG

copied from the sticky:

Columnaris
•Symptoms: White spots on mouth, edges of scales and fins, Cottony Growth that eats away at the mouth, Fins rapidly disingrate, starting at the edges
Gray areas around head and gills, As the disease progresses the gray lesions may change in color to yellow/brown/red, Lesions often occur in front of the dorsal causing a “saddleback” appearance, Lethargic, Loss of appetite, Clamped, Gasping for air
•Treatment: There are 2 versions of Columnaris: chronic and acute. Chronic Columnaris can take days to progress while acute can kill within a day. It is contagious so isolate sick fish. If more than one fish shows symptoms then treat the entire tank. Perform daily 100% water change in small tanks or water change in larger tanks. Make sure to clean the gravel. Treat with Aq.Salt: add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Do NOT raise the temperature as it thrives in temps over 85*F, however, lowering the temperature does not seem to help fight it. Combine salt treatment with Mardel’s Coppersafe, Maracyn I & II, API Erythromycin, OR API Triple Sulfa, combined with Jungle’s Fungus Eliminator (if possible).

so other than the salt and getting meds whenever you can i don't know what else to tell you.

it could affect the loaches

supposedly fish diseases won't transfer to snails and vice versa but the treatments for fish are toxic to snails.