Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2011, 12:30 AM   #1 
thekoimaiden

Newest Petsmart finds!

I went into Petsmart on Friday to get some cat food and made the mistake of walking by the bettas. I fell in love with these two lovelies that I brought home. One has fin rot (mild I'm guessing) and may be a tail biter. He is being treated for it. Both are in quarantine bowls while I ready their 10 gal. I'd like a little help figuring out their color patterns and scaling. I think the top one (Orchid) is a half moon plakat. Not sure because of his fin rot. The other (named Moonie), I'm really not sure about. He is camera shy and that is the best picture I was able to snap of his fins. Was marketed as a halfmoon, but I'm thinking delta? He also has some plakat-like scales that don't show up in that pic.

Thanks!
--Izzy
Attached Images

thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #2 
Indyfishy

wow, beautiful fish!!! I'm loving all these amazing petsmart finds!! The first one looks like a red copper dragon. I think he's going to be either halfmoon or delta, his dorsal/anal looks too long to be a plakat. He's gorgeous, I hope he lets his tail grow in for you! The second one looks like a pastel, and I think you're right that he's a delta. Keep an eye on him though, sometimes deltas can stretch their fins out and eventually become halfmoons!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #3 
copperarabian

wow, really fantastic finds :D
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfishy View Post
wow, beautiful fish!!! I'm loving all these amazing petsmart finds!! The first one looks like a red copper dragon. I think he's going to be either halfmoon or delta, his dorsal/anal looks too long to be a plakat. He's gorgeous, I hope he lets his tail grow in for you! The second one looks like a pastel, and I think you're right that he's a delta. Keep an eye on him though, sometimes deltas can stretch their fins out and eventually become halfmoons!
Okay so, Orchid is a red copper dragon halfmoon or delta, and Moonie is a pastel delta (maybe halfmoon). These color/tail naming schemes on bettas are a lot. I like the koi naming better. There is either butterfly or traditional fins, and the colors are for the most part just the color names in Japanese + pattern names. Okay maybe not that simple, but still.

If you get to the pet stores shortly after they get their new stock, you can get some nice bettas. These were by far the nicest ones I'd seen at Petsmart since I got mine earlier this year (not my first bettas, tho). Hence why I bought them. :D Also I knew I would be rescuing them from a horrible fate. Some other girl (young, under 12) was looking at the bettas as I was. As I decided on my two she grabbed one, too. And I heard the mother say, "It doesn't matter. It will be dead in a few days."
Old 12-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #5 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
If you get to the pet stores shortly after they get their new stock, you can get some nice bettas. These were by far the nicest ones I'd seen at Petsmart since I got mine earlier this year (not my first bettas, tho). Hence why I bought them. :D Also I knew I would be rescuing them from a horrible fate. Some other girl (young, under 12) was looking at the bettas as I was. As I decided on my two she grabbed one, too. And I heard the mother say, "It doesn't matter. It will be dead in a few days."
I've found most of my nicest bettas by going the day of, or the day after the stores get their new bettas. I got a couple really nice halfmoons because they where mislabeled as deltas and most people seem to go for the bigger fins.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #6 
snowtail

I get all my Bettas at Petsmart and they are really beautiful. I just got this one, he's a half moon, named Rain.
Attached Images

snowtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Rain is a beautiful little boy. His color will probably grow some more. I got a little HM from petsmart. When I bought him he was the smallest male I've ever seen! He's grown a lot! His color has progressed, too. He's a beautiful deep blue. My favorite color.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #8 
Betta Slave

You got these guys from Petsmart? Wow. I'm stuck with VTs and CTs over here :P Dragons are forty bucks at least.

Lovely coloring. I'm jealous. lol

Last edited by Betta Slave; 12-04-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #9 
cadi731

They're all so pretty! O:

My Petsmart has VTs, CTs, HMs, Dragons, and girls. I'm not sure what type the girls are, since they're not labeled. None of them are in very good shape though, except for the lucky ones who get put into display tanks (like my Ares, who either had fin rot or was a tail biter before I bought him).
cadi731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #10 
thekoimaiden

I've also got VTs, CTs, HMs, Dragons, and girls at my Petsmart. Must be something about the East Coast ;) I think the Petco in my town has more, tho. I'm pretty sure they have giants and some other things. I don't frequent Petco, so I'm not on top of it.

When my Petsmart first started to carry dragons there were many beautiful ones. Now I don't really seem much. Except for these two beauties ^-^