Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #1 
vlnr2

Question What's wrong with him????

My betta, Phoenix, is usually really active and happy whenever I am there, but recently he's been very down. He will pop up to the surface for some air every once in a while but other than that he sinks himself to the bottom of the tank and sometimes hides behind his little tiki guy. Today he wouldn't really eat at all and is moving slower than usual.

I have a feeling he is feeling lonely or depressed, but I'm not sure.... Any ideas as to what it is thats making him be like this, and what can I do to help??

It also has crossed my mind that he may be much older than I expect and that he could just know that his time is coming...any thoughts about this, too?

Last edited by vlnr2; 12-04-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: though tag-on
vlnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry your Betta isn't well....we need some more info and a pic....

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, any tank mates, type/amount food/feeding, how long have you had him and has he been sick and/or treated in the past 30 days...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #3 
vlnr2

Tank is a gallon, water changes are around once a week, he has a filter. I use Tetra BettaSafe Water Conditioner for his water. There are no live plants or tank mates (though I'm hoping to one day get him a bigger tank and a tank mate). The water temp of the tank is around 80. I use wardley betta food and I feed him once in the morning before I take off for class and once in the evening before I go to bed. I got him the weekend after Labor Day, so for only a few months at most. He was dealing with some fin rot but I'm pretty sure we're getting to a point where the fin rot is no longer affecting him.

Right now he's been more in the middle of the tank rather than hiding out in his little corner.

I attached a picture, but because I don't have a digital camera I had to use my webcam camera on my Mac, so the quality isn't that great...
Attached Images

vlnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Since he has been in the 10gal for a couple of month-it most likely isn't related to space or water movement...

What I would recommend at this point is to make 50% water change for the next 2 days-dosing the dechlorinater for the full volume of the tank and see if this will perk him up...hold food for 2 days as well-then offer small amounts-removing any uneaten food within a reasonable time....

Pretty fella and nice job on your tank.....

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote