Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2014, 11:33 PM   #1 
RubynRed1978

Question ? regarding identifying sickness when owner is legally blind

Hi all,

I do not have a sick fish at the moment but am curious as I am Legally Blind and have difficulty seeing most times seeing changes in something unless they are night and day changes.

Example: (non fish related) if with someone and the answer a question with a nod of the head. I cannot tell they have answered unless they make the nod larger or verbally answer.

With Rubyn, my betta i am having trouble seeing full detail on him unless close and even then i miss stuff.

My point in this rambling is this.

Is there a way someone can desribe or at least attemt to describe the following in a way that a visually impaired person could figure out?

To try to get a sense of my vision look at your fish make him/her all one color, Rubyns red, and take away the fine detail and the ability to see less detail the more distance away. Movement only adds to the ability to not get good focus on him.

Fin Rot

Fin clamping

Bloating

Bacterial infection

Fungal infection

Behavior changes are my specialty. I can read people and animals behavior/body language well
RubynRed1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:00 AM   #2 
Greenapp1es

Hello! Accurately describing any behavior changes would be helpful, otherwise....are you able to take pictures of your fish? If you could take a picture now (while healthy) and then submit pictures when you're concerned we might be able to see things that you would not be.
Greenapp1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:29 AM   #3 
CopperBell

I can try and describe what you have listed but getting a picture would help for future reference. As Greenapp1es has said as well, behavior changes can also be a good indicator in many cases so being good at that is very helpful.

Finrot varies and may be a little harder with your fish since one of the signs is red. Usually red bettas are dark red though and you may be able to see the difference from close up as finrot red is very bright along the edges of the fins. There is also like a black along the edges that may be distinguishable. The easiest description would likely be a sort of "melted" look. It looks like the fins are falling apart and the tears in the fins reach towards the body. Sometimes white patches can also be seen in severe cases along the edges. Some fish bite their fins and this can resemble finrot. You can always submit a picture to get verification if you see something similar. The difference can be hard to tell in some cases.

Fin clamping looks like the fins are pulled close to the body. In severe cases, the whole body, tail included may look shaped like a single, curved feather. The tail becomes like a drooping string curving off from the back of the fish and generally the fish is very lethargic. Sometimes the anal and dorsal fins are pulled close as well and disappear into the form of the fish from a distance. The fish may also have a C shaped body.

Bloating is usually characterized by the front of the body, just above the vental fins and behind or under the head being enlarged and sticking downward. The larger it is, the worse the bloat. Bloating can accompany a lot of things like parasites or bacteria but it's usually just constipation.

There are many bacterial infections but sort of milky, overly shiny patches on the fish are an indication of a slime film on the fish which accompanies some infections. White, gray or black patches on the fish. dark or bright red markings abnormal to coloring on the fins and body may also indicate an issue. Bright red or faded gills if you can see them close up.

Fungal infections are usually indicated by white or gray patches on the body or fins. The patches are usually slightly raised or "tuft-like" where the inside of the patch is brighter colored than the edges. This is due to the fuzziness of the fungus and light passing through the fuzz or reflecting directly off of it.

There are also parasitic infections. If you see any small white dots that become very noticeable in the light (they are the size of a grain of sand) a gold-ish wash that glistens in light or small abnormal lesions, or spots. It may be a parasitic infections. Sometimes long white strings will indicate parasites as well either hanging from the fish or from the anus. Bright or faded gills can also indicate parasites.

I hope this helped some.

Last edited by CopperBell; 12-18-2014 at 12:32 AM.
CopperBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:05 AM   #4 
RubynRed1978

Greenapples,

Pictures are a definate! Just have to figure out the right setting on my phone camera and get Rubyn to stay still.

Copper,

Thank you for describing the different sicknesses. I appreciate it! You did good too! At least for me. I am not sure if Rubyn had or is getting over fin rot or if i am just seeing something thats normal but odd.

The very front fins near the head on the bottom they seem to be roughed up. One spot looks curled in a spiral if i am seeing right. He is moving around ok and seems to have pretty good energy.

When he first came home it looked like he was only using the little side fins to swim and his tail and top fin would lay down or sag. Each day his tail and top fin look better and last night and today even when relaxed his fins are higher than they have been since he's come here. The bottom fins are slowly seming like they are changing but not sure.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:18 AM   #5 
iSheree

Hi RubynRed1978,
You could try filming him with your phone and uploading it to youtube or something. That way we can also see his behaviour and it won't be blurry. :)
Good to know I am not the only person with a disability on here. I am profoundly deaf but that does not get in the way of my fish keeping, but it does in almost all other aspects in my life. I have a friend who is legally blind.
Do you have a test kit? It might be hard to use one but if you can find out the parameters of your water that could help a lot. If his fins are curled, it could be that the water is hard. However, some of my boys have got those fins underneath at the front which are curled. So it might not be anything to worry about. :)
Sheree.
iSheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:43 AM   #6 
Rosewynn

I definitely think taking pictures of your betta every so often would be a great idea. Everyone on here would be most willing to help. :) You could probably just start your own thread and post pictures there every week or month or whichever other time spans you're most comfortable with.
Rosewynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #7 
RubynRed1978

ISheree,
The youtube channel even as just Rubyn health record sounds like a great idea! And i can always put direct links on here instead of trying to get the pics here.

I am mildly hearing impaired according to a recent hearing test. I have other issues but don't care they just make me, well me.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #8 
Rosewynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubynRed1978 View Post
I have other issues but don't care they just make me, well me.
OT: What a wonderful attitude! I am still trying to get to that point with my own health issues.
Rosewynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #9 
RubynRed1978

OFF TOPIC.

Rosewynn it depends sometimes on when the health problems set in. Most of mine have been from birth or late teens. I am now 36 so i've had time and the experiences to fall back on to realize its not worth worrying about all the crap associated with the health problems and deal with each step needed to help keep it under control or learn to realize what is happening with it... i use a cane for the blind most times and get alot of stares from people. I have learned to not care about what people think.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #10 
iSheree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubynRed1978 View Post
OFF TOPIC.

Rosewynn it depends sometimes on when the health problems set in. Most of mine have been from birth or late teens. I am now 36 so i've had time and the experiences to fall back on to realize its not worth worrying about all the crap associated with the health problems and deal with each step needed to help keep it under control or learn to realize what is happening with it... i use a cane for the blind most times and get alot of stares from people. I have learned to not care about what people think.
Great attitude. :) I need to work on having a better attitude towards my problems. I just hide in my room pretty much all the time. I am wasting my life away and my boys are just a form of distraction. They don't judge me and they need me because no one else would feed them and care for them if I don't.
iSheree is offline   Reply With Quote