Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #1 
Lissa52664

Question SEVERE overfeeding. Problems 2 weeks later?

Ok I'm starting to panic. A friend came to housesit/babysit my dogs just for a night about two weeks ago.. When I came home the next morning my fish's water was orange and cloudy and there were food pellets covering the gravel floor!

I pulled him out right away and went crazy with the vacuum.. obviously 100% water change, technically more because I had to keep adding more water and vacuuming it out to get every bit of food. Reset everything in the tank, took the new water to be tested and it was perfect.. put fishy back in..... he was happy, built a nest right away. Did 50% water change after a week.. fish still happy.. another week went by and he started to go down hill so I did a 90% change and added aquarium salt. He spends most of his time on the gravel floor at this point and never ever did this before. He won't make a nest now and he only swims around when I'm near the tank or when it's feeding time. He's still more than happy to eat Oh and also his color has darkened considerably in the last few days also.

Is he just depressed? Should I worry? What about changing to epsom salt instead of aquarium salt?

I tested the water 2 days ago and everything reads fine. He's in a 1.5 gallon tank with a filter and heater and 2 small live plants.

Thank you for taking the time to read this! Any advice or reassurance would be appreciated!
Lissa52664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #2 
Fasht

I'm no expert but I don't think it would be wise to use salt on a tank that has live plants
Fasht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Hi Lissa and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about what happened to your fish. :( fasht is right, AQ salt can kill off your live plants. Also, never use AQ salt if you have cory cats or loaches.

My suggestion is to put your boy in a small hospital tank, 1 gallon or up, something you can heat. Keep the bottom bare. Add in 3 tsps of epsom salt. You can get epsom salt at any drug store or pharmacy. Fast your boy for a day or two. It'll be hard because he'll beg but no food for him!

Has he been bloated and have you noticed him passing poo? I'm concerned that he got himself all constipated pigging out on his impromptu feast. That's why I definitely suggest keeping his hospital tank barebottom so you can see if he's passing waste.

I hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #4 
Lissa52664

Thanks for your replies. Yeah I had read that the aquarium salt might be bad for sensitive plants but I figured I'd take my chances.. rather lose the plants than the fish. I haven't seen the plants wilt or anything yet, but it probably is a better idea to put him in an empty container to monitor his waste. I haven't seen him pass anything since the feeding, but then again, I never saw his waste even when he was healthy (unless I was cleaning the tank) because the gravel is that natural tan color so it blends in. Surprisingly his belly never looked swollen after the feeding and still doesn't but he does have a small oval "pill" shaped bulge towards his tail on both sides. He's always had those though so it's normal right?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #5 
Sakura8

The oval pill shape is normal, yeah. I know, I always used to wonder about the ones my guy had too. It's his caudal peduncle but don't ask me what a caudal peduncle is because I have no idea, hahaha. XD

Since you have the natural colored gravel, I definitely advise putting him into a barebottom container with the 3 tsps of epsom salt per gallon. I have a feeling your guy may be a little constipated.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #6 
Lissa52664

Ok I'll certainly do that! Hopefully it's only constipation. He's my first true betta love and I would hate to lose him.

Thanks again!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #7 
Sakura8

You're welcome and I'll keep my fingers crossed and say fishy prayers for him. Keep us updated. :)