Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #1 
inkrealm

"fuzz" drifting in the QT tank?

pretty much just that ;-;
my boy's been being treated for fin rot. his medication period just recently ended, and I noticed lots of white stuff floating in his water. because I wasn't able to do a 100% clean for the medication period, I figured it must have grown on the sides of the cup. I moved him into a critter keeper and scrubbed the cup down and returned him to it. there was some stuff on the bottom, so I thought that'd be it. but today there's fuzz floating all over it. could this be parasites or something?

it's the cup he came home in. during meds I changed the water several times a day 80-90% with a turkey baster, but now I just do 80-90 a day most of the time. ( I'm moving him back into his main tank soon but I wanna make sure he's all fixed up first. )
it has a lid on it so nothing SHOULD be getting in it.... there is a small open circle in the top though.... it just looks like fuzz drifting through the water.... it was not there when I put it in, and I had just scrubbed the sides and bottom. does anyone know what this might be?

additives= prime and stress coat+ conditioner from API. thankyou ;-;

edit: it will not show up on camera and I don't *think* it's worms but they could be too small to see the features....
waste is a little stringed rather than whole and round, but it's not stringy exactly and definitely not white.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #2 
Sakura8

What were the meds? My guess, though, is it's excess slime coat that he produced to help him heal up his fins.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #3 
inkrealm

can slime coat look like fuzz?...
if so I guess I could see that... his fins do get really white tips on them sometimes... and he does have a whole lot to heal... I've been ODing the stress coat some too, to help him out. he's always had trouble with his fins and coloring...
I just used FW AQ Salt, the infection finally stopped once I placed him in the cup so I didn't have to use any other meds. I used two to two and a half teaspoons per gallon though, because it was super aggressive...

also would you advice keeping him in QT till his fins completely heal back or should I try reintroducing him to the tank? he's still missing two to three fourths of his finnage.... maybe a tad more.... definitely a big chunk..... he's a petstore betta and I've never been able to get him to color up.... he's doing really amazing in the QT....

Last edited by inkrealm; 12-04-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #4 
Sakura8

If he was in AQ salt, that would probably help explain it. AQ salt really helps with the slime coat production so between the Stress Coat and the AQ salt, he had a good coat going there. Now that he's getting healthy again, he doesn't need so much so he's shedding it off.

Since you said the rot was really aggressive, I might leave him in QT for a few days more and make sure the tips are healing over with lots of clear growth. The less chance there is of the rot finding an open tear, the better. After you're sure there's plenty of growth, he'll be fine back in his old home. He probably misses it. :)
Old 12-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #5 
LittleBettas

What Sakura said :)
My male Avenger was in a stress coat and high AQ salt treatment for a few weeks, he had the same "fuzz" floating, now that hes out of treatment I've seen a serious decrease in the fuzz :) Just keep an eye on him just in case, lol
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #6 
inkrealm

haha, yeah, I felt so bad to move him back into that cup, he loved the keeper xc but it's a 1g so I was scared to heat it D:
I'll watch him a little more. thanks so much for the help :3 <3

edit: ahhh, thanks for the confirmation LittleBettas :3 <3
Old 12-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Good luck with him, inkrealm. :)
Old 12-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #8 
LittleBettas

Np :)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote