Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2007, 04:00 AM   #1 
ufiiish

Any advice on fish foods will appriciate!

I won two betta a few days ago, but i had no experience with betta before. What should i to feed betta? What food is safe for betta and what will kill their?
ufiiish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:07 AM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Welcome to Fishforum.com.

The best thing you should do is always vary the diet. Peas, bloodworms, shrimps, chopped earthworms, mosquito larva, daphnia, brine shrimp and artificial foods. I should note that bettas do not often eat pellets so you may have to try before they eventually will.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:30 AM   #3 
Dr. Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin
Welcome to Fishforum.com.

The best thing you should do is always vary the diet. Peas, bloodworms, shrimps, chopped earthworms, mosquito larva, daphnia, brine shrimp and artificial foods. I should note that bettas do not often eat pellets so you may have to try before they eventually will.
have you ever fed bettas peas? do they take them immediately or only after you keep dropping them in every day? also, do you drop them in frozen or thawed?
Dr. Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:26 AM   #4 
Lupin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Juice
have you ever fed bettas peas? do they take them immediately or only after you keep dropping them in every day? also, do you drop them in frozen or thawed?
Bettas are carnivorous in nature so it might take a while before they can consume peas. Always feed them thawed food. Failing to do so causes body shock on fish.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:41 AM   #5 
mike1516

I have kept male bettas for years, both in communty setups and solo. They all seem to take pellets well, and while variety is fine, you can use Hikari's Betta Bio-Gold as a staple, or, you can use Hikari's baby-size Cichlid Gold pellets, which are OK as well, but cost less. Good Luck!
mike1516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:41 AM   #6 
Dr. Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1516
or, you can use Hikari's baby-size Cichlid Gold pellets, which are OK as well, but cost less.
i bought the baby-sized cichlid pellets when i had rams. not only did the other fish never eat them, the rams didn't even eat them. i don't doubt that your fish take them, i just don't understand why mine don't. they seem pretty high quality, way better than the flakes i usually feed them. maybe they get used to the same food after a while?
Dr. Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:44 AM   #7 
Lupin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Juice
maybe they get used to the same food after a while?
Yes. That is why it is best to always vary the food menu and don't stick with the same food over and over.:)
Old 09-04-2007, 02:38 AM   #8 
nvmyluv420

in the morning my bettas get 4 pellets of hikari betta bio gold, in the afternoon they get a pinch of tetra min tropical granuals, than at night they get a pinch of freeze dried blood worms. note that none of my bettas are alone they all have tank mates one has a frog and an algea eater with him and they get algea wafers that my betta nips at. if you stick to one food only i would suggest the tetramin tropical granuals. they have a large variety of nutrients plus my bettas love them. its a slow sinking food so they learn to eat at all levels of the tank. my eldest betta sits mid way and catches all the sinking grains!lol i love to watch bettas they have the best personality good luck and enjoy!
nvmyluv420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:02 PM   #9 
gus6464

I feed my Betta hikari brine shrimp and betta bio gold. I followed the advice from bettatalk.com where he says to not feed him at all one day a week so he can flush out his system.
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:55 PM   #10 
Cashay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464
I feed my Betta hikari brine shrimp and betta bio gold. I followed the advice from bettatalk.com where he says to not feed him at all one day a week so he can flush out his system.

says to not feed him at all one day a week so he can flush out his system.
Is this true?
Cashay is offline   Reply With Quote