Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #1 
Salamandair

Treating fin rot after already in Epsom Salt?

In my last thread, I mentioned that Casper had gotten sick due to the Top Fin Heater I got. He had been clamped, lethargic and the end of his fins were black and wispy and red in the case of the bottom fin.

I treated him in ES at 2 tsp/gal for about a day and he seems to be doing much better. Today is my last day of the double dosage before I wean him off of it. Thing is, the black wispy fins are still there and seem to be fading slowly. I'm chalking this up to fin rot.

My question is: Once I get rid of the ES, should I put AQ salt in the tank to treat the possible fin rot? I was going to just wean him off of the ES salt, then put him back in his 3 gallon, but I don't want to let this get worse or overload him on salt.

Opinions?
Salamandair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #2 
EvilVOG

well i think you're supposed to use AQ salt to treat that from the start, but as far as going from a full reimen of EP salt to more salt i don't know. Probably not a good idea and wait till we hear from someone who knows better. Maybe get/use some stress coat?
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #3 
LittleBettas

I have mixed espom salt and AQ salt before for treatment, though I usually use much lower concentrates of espom salt (maybe half a teaspoon per gallon)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aq salt, bad heater, epsom salt, fin rot, top fin