betta fish

Old 12-05-2011, 03:19 AM   #1 
AKD1727

Can't stay horizontal

Housing
What size is your tank? 7 Gal
What temperature is your tank? 78*F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes - internal power filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No - only trickle outlet from filter
Is your tank heated? Yes always
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta pellets (very fine) and freeze dried brine shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every 5-6 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25 - 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner but just switched to Neutral Regulator two days ago

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: a little over 5.0ppm
pH: 6.4
Hardness: <3*d
Alkalinity: 0*-3*d

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Not much
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Having trouble staying horizontal and stationry, is holding out his anal fin while keeping his others to his body (not clamped though). His hanging vertically with his head upwards and his tail down. He's also been resting heavily on the large leaves.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 10-12 months old

• About five days ago I accidentally spilled about two tablespoons of Betta pellets in the tank. I siphoned up as much as I could immediately (my fish net is not fine enough to scoop it up). Throughout the day I stirred the gravel up a little hoping to catch some in the filter
  • Following the accident I did a 20% water change and rinsed out the filter sponges (in old tank water). I did this for the next two days as I could still see pellet gunk floating around. I again changed it two days later.
  • When I did the water change on the second day and yesterday I used Neutral Regulator (dry) instead of my normal water conditioner (wet)
  • Two days ago I got a new API Master Test Kit. Very sure I didn't get any chemicals in the tank but I didn't rinse the tubes before first use as I figured they were sterilized
AKD1727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #2 
LittleBettas

Do you have live plants in your tank?
Does your betta seem bloated?
Can you post pictures?

Freeze dried food is notorious for causing bloating and problems with bettas swim bladder, it is reccomended as an occasional treat (once a week)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:01 AM   #3 
AKD1727

Ahhh I didn't realise that about freeze dried food. He did make a pig of himself yesterday with the brine shrimp. He does look a little bloated but only a little. You can't really see it in the photos because he wouldn't lower his ventrals. He does still have an appetite (I only dropped a very tiny bit of pellets so I could coax him out of hiding).

Also, no I don't have any live plants, only silk ones.

Sorry about the bad pics but it's the best I could manage, he's too fast

Old 12-05-2011, 05:50 AM   #4 
LittleBettas

I would fast him for 2-3 days, also increase water changes and see if that helps, if he continues to have problems, try 1 tsp of espom salt per gallon of water for about a week, CTs commonly get swim bladder problems so we CT owners have to be extra careful (I have 3 CTs, one who has perm. swim bladder problems)
If problems continue, I would try to get a hold of OldFishLady or one of the other older/experianced betta owners :)
Old 12-05-2011, 06:15 AM   #5 
AKD1727

Thanks LittleBettas, I'll try fasting him. I wasn't sure if I should fast him or not. I'll have to make sure that my Mum doesn't feed 'the poor starving fishy' when I'm not looking.

Man, I'm gonna have a grumpy little man! Usually, if I'm late to feed him he'll dart back and forth across the front of the tank and then snatch the pellets up as if to say 'about time!!'
Old 12-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #6 
LittleBettas

Np :)
I help prevent swim bladder problems in my CTs by crushing pellets (makes hem smaller) and presoaking (whole) pellets in a garlic water mixture (expands the pellets AND also helps prevent/cure parasites) :)
Old 12-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #7 
AKD1727

Yeah I have freeze dried bloodworm pellets that I crush and soak but he doesn't eat them anymore.

These are my Betta pellets. Are these a lot smaller than other Betta pellets? I see people advising to only feed 1-3 pellets a day but I'm guessing they mean for bigger ones? These are more like granules.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:35 AM   #8 
LittleBettas

Freeze dried anything will cause bloating :P lol, some people say it helps to presoak them in garlic water or tank water.... but I always have issues getting them off my fingers if I do that, lol

Those are TINY
lol, I would think that easily 10 of those would equal one of mine... what do the feeding instructions say?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #9 
AKD1727

I had that issue as well. And they STINK!

They are tiny aren't they?! My boy eats 3-5 in one gulp!
It says to feed a small amount, as much as your fish can eat in 3 min. Remove any uneaten pellets after 5 mins.
These are the pellets I spilled in the tank. They become like snot after 10 mins or so You can imagine my horror when the container went flying!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:06 AM   #10 
Pitluvs

I just picked up some tropical pellets as a back up for my guys, and they are that tiny. They are like micro granules, so so tiny! I feed 4 of my Aqueon pellets, those I would feed like 15 haha Sounds like your boy has some swim bladder issues, I just got a CT boy with the same issue. I usually feed frozen food (always good to have on hand, $5 pack will last forever) and I use Indian Almond Leaves. My guy started swimming horizontally today. Good luck!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote