Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2011, 06:30 AM   #1 
DaveysRose

Is Red sick or am I just a worry wart?!

I found "Red" at Wal-Mart while going to get kitty litter (lol) and I've read tons of posts about betta diseases but I'm still having a problem determing if Red is sick or what...
Okay, first off, he's in a 10 gallon tank with 4 tetras (everyone gets along swimmingly!) and the water is 76 degrees (I'm going to buy a better heater today!). He's red with some silver-y looking scales on his back but since it's not a gold color it's not velvet- right?
Also, after reading the post about fin types, I'm pretty sure he's a CT because if I understand fin rot, his fringies would be deformed and his don't look deformed to me (again, I'm a new fishies momma, so I may not be right) however, what concerns me is he has like darker areas under most of his body scales and around his gills. I've only had him like I said, a few days and it doesn't seem to be getting worse. He's eating some (I'm going to go buy different Betta food because he likes to spit out his flakes- already a picky boy!!) and he's lethargic but I'm pretty sure that's because the water needs to be warmer (again, heater shopping later today for one that will more effectively warm his tank!).
I will post pictures as soon as I can but can anyone give me some direction about the black? I've noticed on some people's avatars and other informative pictures that their fish have these black areas too with no mention of disease or anything and I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything!
When I found him at Wal-Mart he was one of like six boys, one unfortunately was already dead and he was the liveliest of the bunch- he's already tried to jump out twice :) I barely touched his bowl and he went wild but he seems quite content and docile in his 10 gallon tank with his new buddies =D
Thanks in advance for the info and I'll also apologize in adavnce because I'm not sure my fish photography skills are all that grand but practice makes perfect =D
DaveysRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #2 
RoyalBlueDarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveysRose View Post
I found "Red" at Wal-Mart while going to get kitty litter (lol) and I've read tons of posts about betta diseases but I'm still having a problem determing if Red is sick or what...
Okay, first off, he's in a 10 gallon tank with 4 tetras (everyone gets along swimmingly!) and the water is 76 degrees (I'm going to buy a better heater today!). He's red with some silver-y looking scales on his back but since it's not a gold color it's not velvet- right?
Also, after reading the post about fin types, I'm pretty sure he's a CT because if I understand fin rot, his fringies would be deformed and his don't look deformed to me (again, I'm a new fishies momma, so I may not be right) however, what concerns me is he has like darker areas under most of his body scales and around his gills. I've only had him like I said, a few days and it doesn't seem to be getting worse. He's eating some (I'm going to go buy different Betta food because he likes to spit out his flakes- already a picky boy!!) and he's lethargic but I'm pretty sure that's because the water needs to be warmer (again, heater shopping later today for one that will more effectively warm his tank!).
I will post pictures as soon as I can but can anyone give me some direction about the black? I've noticed on some people's avatars and other informative pictures that their fish have these black areas too with no mention of disease or anything and I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything!
When I found him at Wal-Mart he was one of like six boys, one unfortunately was already dead and he was the liveliest of the bunch- he's already tried to jump out twice :) I barely touched his bowl and he went wild but he seems quite content and docile in his 10 gallon tank with his new buddies =D
Thanks in advance for the info and I'll also apologize in adavnce because I'm not sure my fish photography skills are all that grand but practice makes perfect =D
Velvet would be everywhere, not just a little on his back. The best way to check for it is with a flashlight.

Fin rot can either be black, or red-streaked with kind of milky bits on the edges of the fins (when it starts).

It would be easier to understand what you mean by those darker areas with a photo. If it's just darker from his head and gets progressively lighter along his body till it blends with his colour, that's normal for bettas. Bettas whose heads are the same colour as their bodies are said to have a "mask". You can have full masks or half masks, I believe ...

Anyway, hope this helps a little.
RoyalBlueDarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #3 
DaveysRose

Here are pictures of Red

Okay, apparently Red is a very photogenic boy and I was able to snap two clear pictures of him, one in particular that clearly shows the darker areas I'm concerned about. Please let me know what ya'll think :) Thanks so much!!

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jim/Desktop/IMG_1649.JPG[/IMG]

If the image does not post could someone please kindly let me know how to attach an image? I don't get the whole URL thing...lol Thanks :)
Old 12-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #4 
Super Sly

To post photos you use the little peper clip at the top of the reply message box.
Super Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #5 
DaveysRose

Pictures...finally! LOL!

If it'd been a female betta, Red wouldn't have a girlfriend in another room, lol!! Thanks so much! Here are pictures of our pretty boy :) Apparently he's not camera shy at all!
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #6 
DaveysRose

One more thing...lol

Sorry! One more quick question, is his dorsal fin supposed to droop like that when he's still? I've read where that's normal for Veil Tail Bettas but I couldn't find a clear answer for CTs...and am I right in saying he's a CT? Thanks :)
Old 12-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #7 
Leeniex

He looks pretty good to me, but I'm no expert.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #8 
tpocicat

He's a very pretty boy. When a CT rests, his dorsal fin will droop too.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #9 
RoyalBlueDarling

Yeah, as above, I don't see anything out of the ordinary either. Pretty boy.
RoyalBlueDarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:50 AM   #10 
maggie9059789

ooh i have a questin, my betta crowntail and red just like yours too and i was wonering if its normal for his head to be like that... like u can see lil bits of the red scales fallen off.and for my case he sumtimes starts growing a bit more of those red scales back but after water changes stressing him out,he loses a bit more ish again.....
maggie9059789 is offline   Reply With Quote