Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2011, 02:56 AM   #1 
Wulvie Sharpteeth

What a bully!

so I got my new girl the other day and called her Rena (the name just came to me, idk why, I dont know the meaning of it or anything :P)

anyways, I put her in the tank with Dragon (with a glass divider separrating them) she had HUGE breeding stripes and she was even flaring her gills out slightly at Dragon. Dragon wasnt too interested, I mean, he flared a little bit, but he didnt go nuts like she did.

so after a while, I went down stairs one night to switch the fishy lights off at about 8:30pm and BAM! I saw that crazy Rena had managed to slip through the teeniest gap between the glass wall and the glass divider!!

I immediately grabbed an isolation container and she is now floating in one of those on the other side of the divider. I did this not to protect Rena, but to protect Dragon!! he looks TERRIBLE! I was so afraid he was gonna die! his fins are now shorter than hers and they look all manky and horrible :( hes ok, hes still eating and is his (almost) happy self. But man, I am NOT using Rena to breed with him ever again.

overall... I think Rena was way too aggressive for Dragon and Dragon is too... un-aggressive? for Rena :P

I will get photos of his manky fins later on so you can see the 'before and after' madness :3
Wulvie Sharpteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #2 
Brian10962001

She may be a man eater, or they may just not have been acclimated right to breed. Keep his temp up and give him a bit of AQ salt to help re grow his fins. I have a little crown tail girl that I'm afraid has gone viscious from being isolated, sometimes their personality just changes. Let him heal, re acclimate him and double check so that she doesn't escape next time.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #3 
ANHEL123

Don't use a bit of the Aquarium salt. Aq salt has to be used ONLY in the right dosage OR fish immune system will get resistant to it when it needed, and it will not help. If he is active and eating just do more water changes. I am not sure how big is the tank and how much of the water you are change usually, but the fresh,clean,like temp dechlorinated water is the best prevention method for most problems.... One of my betta is tail bitter and i just do more water changes then for my other bettas and his tail grow back so fast. I do 100% water changes though..And keep eye on him make sure there is no visible symptoms will develop and behavior changes....
How is your girl?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #4 
Zappity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Don't use a bit of the Aquarium salt. Aq salt has to be used ONLY in the right dosage OR fish immune system will get resistant to it when it needed, and it will not help. If he is active and eating just do more water changes. I am not sure how big is the tank and how much of the water you are change usually, but the fresh,clean,like temp dechlorinated water is the best prevention method for most problems.... One of my betta is tail bitter and i just do more water changes then for my other bettas and his tail grow back so fast. I do 100% water changes though..And keep eye on him make sure there is no visible symptoms will develop and behavior changes....
How is your girl?
If he is torn up, the AQ salt would be very beneficial to help regrow his fins. OldFishLady should know the proper dosage.
I would suggest putting him in a qt container, 100% daily change with tannins and AQ salt. :)
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #5 
LittleBettas

The correct dosage is 1 tsp per gallon, though Idont think fsh can develope an immunity to AQ salt, all it does is help prevent infections, its not an anit-biotic, its like washing a cut with rubbing alchohol, all it does is kill off ickies
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #6 
ANHEL123

With any treatment it is important to use correct dosage and duration to prevent other problems like resistant issues and creations of super bugs.. I read it from OFL post. :)

Aq salt should be full term - 10 days. 1 tsp/gall with 100% water changes daily.
Water should be pre mix in 1 gall jug for the right dosage. And fish qt in small container.
And maintain a water temp of 76-78F.

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #7 
Wulvie Sharpteeth

thanx for all the responses!

yes I have double checked the divider now and have put a large stone on each side to prevent it sliding :)

sadly it will take even longer to breed them as thier tank has velvet and they are both sick :( but the salt and the warmer water temperature has perked him up a bit and they are both eating :)
Wulvie Sharpteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #8 
tpocicat

What a horrible thing to happen. Fins regrow amazingly fast, but still, I'm sure there was some pain involved.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #9 
RoyalBlueDarling

I don't think fish can develop a resistance to salt. They, just like humans, have a sodium-potassium pump, and if they could develop a resistance, then their entire nervous system would go out of whack.
RoyalBlueDarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #10 
Brian10962001

Salt can hurt their kidneys over time just like it can hurt ours. You don't want to keep them on it for the long term. Also if you use salt to treat say fin rot, and don't go through with it just like an antibiotic you will have the more saline resistant bacteria left to multiply. That being said it's probably the safest, oldest (literally old as the earth) methods of helping a fish heal and regrow. With torn fins it will help, just don't over do it
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote