Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #1 
ivegotsarz

I'm confused, nest? breed?

I just recently picked up a male and threw him in the tank, and i think he made a bubble nest, i'm not too sure. i woke up and the female was all beat up and with missing fins. plus when i lift up the top, some of the bubbles were popping which worried me.
Attached Images

ivegotsarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #2 
Badjer

Unless you're trying to breed, males and females should NEVER be housed together. The reason the female has torn fins is because the male will chase her and nip her...it's part of the betta courtship process. If you aren't breeding, I highly recommend separating them. They can and will kill each other eventually.

Edit: That is a bubble nest. Males blow them to impress females and to put the eggs in. Just because your male makes one doesn't mean he's ready or should breed. Many males make them all the time when content.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #3 
ivegotsarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjer View Post
Unless you're trying to breed, males and females should NEVER be housed together. The reason the female has torn fins is because the male will chase her and nip her...it's part of the betta courtship process. If you aren't breeding, I highly recommend separating them. They can and will kill each other eventually.

Edit: That is a bubble nest. Males blow them to impress females and to put the eggs in. Just because your male makes one doesn't mean he's ready or should breed. Many males make them all the time when content.
hmm. he became a lot aggressive after last night though. he flares and attacks the female when she gets near the nest. i mean ill take out the female and all, but i don't want to get my hopes up because they already are. i feel a wave of disappointment about to hit me. :(
Old 12-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #4 
Badjer

Males are often protective of their nests as they consider them part of their territory. Were you trying to breed or to house them together? Breeding bettas is a process that typically results in torn fins for both the fish. It's also a process that should not be taken lightly as the fry are fragile and require special care.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #5 
ivegotsarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjer View Post
Males are often protective of their nests as they consider them part of their territory. Were you trying to breed or to house them together? Breeding bettas is a process that typically results in torn fins for both the fish. It's also a process that should not be taken lightly as the fry are fragile and require special care.
i am trying to breed them. should i remove the female? the temp is at 80 and there is no movement in the aquarium, besides the fish.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #6 
Captain Jim Dandy

Separation

Yes please separate these fish. Even if just some temporary means untilmore suitable home. Even if some large jar or bowl--- Be careful about any soap or chemical residue. They are not in a situation right now to continue breeding process. Beautiful male though-- take your time.
Captain Jim Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #7 
ivegotsarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim Dandy View Post
Yes please separate these fish. Even if just some temporary means untilmore suitable home. Even if some large jar or bowl--- Be careful about any soap or chemical residue. They are not in a situation right now to continue breeding process. Beautiful male though-- take your time.
how long should i wait until i can go about the breeding process again?
Old 12-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #8 
bettafish15

At least two weeks, conditioning them with super clean water and live food.

Edit: Also, the spawning tank shouldnt have gravel in it (the male needs to pick up eggs that fall, and he cant see them in gravel), and needs hiding places for the female.

Last edited by bettafish15; 12-06-2011 at 03:57 PM.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #9 
ivegotsarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
At least two weeks, conditioning them with super clean water and live food.

Edit: Also, the spawning tank shouldnt have gravel in it (the male needs to pick up eggs that fall, and he cant see them in gravel), and needs hiding places for the female.
rgr that boss, female has been removed, a new tank will be here tonight. how do i condition with super clean water? the only water i have available to me is well water and RO water.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #10 
SmokeNLark

Please do some research before you try again. Head over to the breeding section and do some reading. It seems to me a bare bottom tank is pretty standard when it comes to breeding, so there may be a lot of other things you've missed. Especially if by "recently picked up a male and threw him in the tank" means that you haven't conditioned the pair at all. There is a heck of a lot more to breeding bettas than throwing them together.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote