Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #1 
purplemuffin

Yumm....favorite fruits and veggies?

Is there anyone else who just LOVES veggies? I used to be so picky, but now I am just learning to adore these yummy things just growing waiting for us to pick them up and eat them!

I just finished an avocado, lettuce, spinach, tomato and cheese sandwich. With a little bit of ceaser dressing. I then ate the rest of the avocado with a spoon. Delicious

You know what, I was about to make a list of the veggies I love and could eat straight up raw all day long, but I realized that would be the longest list ever. Pretty much the ones I don't like are bell peppers! But hand me asparagus, squash, broccoli, zucchini, avocado, carrots, .. mmm!!

I think a lot of parents really are lazy with cooking and preparing veggies! My mom always made steamed broccoli which sucks all the good flavor out and leaves a watery mess. Now, if you bake broccoli in the oven..You'll find that is the most delicious thing EVER. Honestly, most veggies either taste best roasted, grilled, or even microwaved(surprisingly they've found a short bit of microwaving just to warm the food up and soften it a bit actually drains the veggies of fewer nutrients than boiling or even steaming!

Anyone else ever crave some good healthy food because it's just plain delicious? I swear, if I ever got a pet that was an herbivore like an iguana(no way that's happening!), we'd just have to fight over who gets the good stuff!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm not a really big vegetable eater but I like broccoli, asparagus, caulifower, carrots, spinach, squash and green beans. The fruits I like are strawberries, peaches, grapes and cherries. I'd rathger eat fruit in a nice big salad than like picking up an apple and eating it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #3 
purplemuffin

:D Yeah I like to prepare my food! I've gotten a little lunch box that I'm able to pack and make it look pretty and wonderful and much more tempting to eat. So much fun! Salads are the best way to mix up some really good foods. SO many ways to make a salad, you could eat a salad every day of your life and never eat the same thing. I also prefer my sandwiches to basically be a salad between pieces of bread, lol!
Old 12-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I need to find some good recipes for salads. I don't make very good salads. I'd like to know what kinds of good stuff to put in them to make them more tasty.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #5 
purplemuffin

With a salad...Anything! I've eaten some salads where there is no lettuce...the base could be broccoli or asparagus or whatever. A salad is basically just a plate of veggies really LOL :D or even fruit..fruit salads!

I like mixing in flax seeds in my salads, and almond slivers are my lower calorie replacement to croutons! They give that crunch, but are closer to a whole food and a little better for you~Plus they taste just as good. You could even roast and season the almond slivers if you like the seasonings!

I look up food blogs for a lot of my inspiration! Love and Olive Oil is a good one!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #6 
erinandares

Me me me!! I love salads. I had a really good one with almond slivers and pieces of grape and raspberry with a berry vinaigrette. (<<sp?) I also like adding things like grilled chicken or a nice, crumbled cheese. But usually, I hate dressing/added stuff. Just give me the vegetables. Lol.

I love fruits, too. Basically anything but pineapples. And I'll eat any veggie except for squash and bell peppers. And mushrooms, but they don't count as veggies. My grandmother used to stuff portabello mushrooms with squash and bell peppers and seriously excpected me to eat that. >.>
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't much care for store bought dressings and I'd like to try making my own.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #8 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
I just finished an avocado, lettuce, spinach, tomato and cheese sandwich. With a little bit of ceaser dressing. I then ate the rest of the avocado with a spoon. Delicious
::Drools:: That sounds good. I'm a pescatarian. I don't eat much meat outside of seafood. One of my favorite vegetables has to be green beans. As far as fruits, I really like Bosc pears, golden delicious apples, peaches, and apricots. I keep bananas in my kitchen at all times for breakfast. I really think I'm more of a fruit person.

As for the salad question. Try using romaine or spinach to start the salad, then just get creative. You can add in fruits or different vegetables. Just try to keep in mind that with each ingredient, you might prefer a different dressing. If you use apple or dried cranberries in your salad, you might want to use maybe a raspberry vinaigrette.

DQ, try http://allrecipes.com

Last edited by Rosso1011; 12-05-2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: additional comment
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #9 
purplemuffin

I try to mostly eat vegetarian (about 80 percent of my diet is veggies and fruits) and the rest is split amongst grains and meat. I try to eat light when I do eat meat as well as only eat stuff I feel comfortable with(either humanely hunted(good because there is no antibiotics and crazy hormones) or humanely killed from a good farm(kind of still a risk of being genetically modified, but treated well))

Fruits are great and awesome, but they just go bad so fast I turn to veggies LOL.. My "fruit" of choice I eat is butternut squash. Roast it in the oven..Mix in a little butter, sugar(or honey/splenda/agave/sweetener of choice) a little cinnamon and a pinch of salt to bring out the sweetness. Mash it up into pumpkin pie consistency and I just eat it straight out of the skin as a bowl, LOL! SO good!!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #10 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Veggie lover here too. Anything but beets

I love all greens and pretty much always saute everything in olive oil with crushed garlic and hot pepper.

DQ, try a baby spinach salad with strawberries, red onion, goat cheese and a raspberry vinagrette with poppy seeds. It sounds a little crazy but it's soooooooooooooo good.

If that interests you I can find the recipe for the dressing for you.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote