Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM   #1 
PhillipH

Possibly sick betta; need advice

Hello!

I have recently received a possibly sick veil-tail betta from someone. What I know about the betta is that he lived in a thin 1 gallon tank, without a heater, no filtration system, used tap water without any conditioners. He had lived in this environment for about 4-5 years.

I asked to take care of him because he looked ill and I wanted to give him a better life overall. His fins were brown and somewhat translucent, and the inexperienced owner wasn't concerned. Though I admit, I am not well experienced at maintaining a healthy tank environment, nor have much knowledge of fish diseases but I'm trying to learn.

Here are some pictures of the betta right after I first received him.
http://i.imgur.com/iP57zn0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FuhRFMr.jpg

I bought Jungle Fungus Clear after reading about the symptoms of fungus. I believed him to have clamped fins and fin rot, and tarnish on his head, so I thought to give it a try.

Here's something that may or may not be a problem. After putting in a Jungle Fungus Clear tablet, a translucent string appeared, rising from the bottom to the top of the water, and it had a black tip, and not sure of its origin. Perhaps it was from the tablet but I thought it was weird. I recorded a short video of it here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL_fH2X19lo

Currently, he has a 5 gallon tank all to himself, using Seachem Prime tap water conditioner, with a filtration system with low water current, a Tetra 2-15 gallon heater with a constant water temperature of 78 degrees fahrenheit, keeping check with a thermometer, along with aquarium salt. And following directions with anything I put in the tank. The water has been quite clear so far. And I plan on doing regular water and gravel maintenance when it's time.

Other than his appearance, he swims around like a healthy fish and eats TetraMin Flakes regularly. The water current is completely new to him so he got pushed around by it at first but seems to have gotten used to it, and he seems to have much better movement control over his fins and body than before.

I'm writing here in hopes that someone can identify his problem, if any, and just not from old age. And to give me any useful advice, or to point out any mistakes I have possibly made.

Thanks many.
PhillipH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM   #2 
Roxy

As far as I can see from the picture(s)... I see nothing wrong with him. No fin rot, no fungus.

If the filter is pushing him around too much, you could always baffle it.

You might want to avoid feeding him flakes. They contribute to bloating if fed too much. I would assume those green flaky things on the surface are tetramin flakes? If so, that's way too much. We recommend pellets such as new life spectrum and omega one. If you're not up to chopping nls in half ( since the new formula is bigger ) you're better off buying omega one since the pellets are smaller. http://www.petco.com/product/116563/...t=OnSiteSearch

Last edited by Roxy; Yesterday at 05:04 PM.
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM   #3 
Greenapp1es

First of all - congratulations on taking in this guy! 4-5 years is *very* old for a betta, so I'm sure he'll appreciate the upgraded retirement home!

I'm not seeing anything in the pictures that specifically shows him to be sick myself. He seems to be doing quite well for a little guy who's 4-5 years old. I'm not specifically seeing rot, his fins don't *really* look that clamped, and I'm not sure the darker color isn't what would have been a brighter red that has faded with age. Someone else can probably chime in as well though.

If anything, I'd consider switching out his flakes for better food. New Life Spectrum or Omega One betta pellets would be a better diet for him.
Greenapp1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM   #4 
PhillipH

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy
As far as I can see from the picture(s)... I see nothing wrong with him. No fin rot, no fungus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapp1es View Post
I'm not specifically seeing rot, his fins don't *really* look that clamped,
To me, his fins shouldn't be partly brown and translucent as shown in this image: http://i.imgur.com/h33rlEB.jpg. Perhaps I am being paranoid, though. I don't know if it's normal or not for his age.

Quote:
If the filter is pushing him around too much, you could always baffle it.
I took care of this with flexible screen mesh. It doesn't appear to be a problem now.

Quote:
I would assume those green flaky things on the surface are tetramin flakes? If so, that's way too much.
From the video, that green stuff is the initial residue from the Jungle Fungus Clear tablets, and it cleared up soon afterwards.

And I'll definitely look into the food you both have suggested. Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM   #5 
Greenapp1es

What we're seeing in that image isn't rot - rot would be where the edges of the fins look like they're being eaten away with a red or black edge. There are examples of fin rot in this thread here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=346377

What I'm seeing in that picture looks more like coloration. This guy could have had red or orange wash coloration - that could now be more faded with age. To me, his fins look completely intact in that picture. Some betta have translucent fins naturally (One of my guys has spots of nearly clear all throughout his fins) so that doesn't look to be a problem to me either.

I think what you're seeing is just natural coloring. It *might* brighten up some with him being in a larger, warmer environment...it might not. He's an old guy, some of his colors may simply be more rustic than they would have been in the past.
Greenapp1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM   #6 
Roxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapp1es View Post
What we're seeing in that image isn't rot - rot would be where the edges of the fins look like they're being eaten away with a red or black edge. There are examples of fin rot in this thread here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=346377

What I'm seeing in that picture looks more like coloration. This guy could have had red or orange wash coloration - that could now be more faded with age. To me, his fins look completely intact in that picture. Some betta have translucent fins naturally (One of my guys has spots of nearly clear all throughout his fins) so that doesn't look to be a problem to me either.

I think what you're seeing is just natural coloring. It *might* brighten up some with him being in a larger, warmer environment...it might not. He's an old guy, some of his colors may simply be more rustic than they would have been in the past.
^ +1 This :D
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:55 PM   #7 
Sadist

I'm glad you rescued him! He'll be more comfortable for his end days.
Sadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:23 PM   #8 
PhillipH

I'm glad that I posted on this forum, otherwise I would have continued giving him unnecessary treatment. I went ahead and gave him fresh new water, with adding only prime and aquarium salt, for a clean start. http://i.imgur.com/2M0MQg7.jpg
Old Today, 06:32 PM   #9 
Tress

Haha good ol' veiltails, hardiest bettas ever. He looks in pretty good shape for such an old boy! Thank you for taking him in and giving him a good home :)

I will suggest you get some silk plants for him, as your tank is kinda bare. Betta like lots of cover.

Last edited by Tress; Today at 06:36 PM.
Tress is online now   Reply With Quote