Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM   #1 
lovemygrumpycat

Is this strange? Or typical Betta?

I've only had Grumpy Cat not even for a week yet, it will be a week on Friday. I bought him one of those Leaf Hammocks- I caught him on it one time, and this was at 1pm- I got up to use the bathroom and I spied on him!!

For whatever reason, I want to catch him on his hammock again so I keep sneaking up on him. Last night- this is how I found him sleeping!

You can see his tail is folded over the yellow flower- which is holding him up. LOL!

I seriously thought he was dead!! tried to get his attention and he was in a dead sleep!! I moved something on the counter and it made him snap out of his sleep and he swam away.

Is there something wrong with him?

Also are Betta fish playful? Last night as I was feeding him, he was swimming around, going under his leaf hammock, then under the filter, back around swam in between his flowers- it was almost like he was "showing off" in front of me.. or maybe he was being playful?

Does your Betta do things like that?
Attached Images

lovemygrumpycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Head down sleeping position isn't exactly normal, but some do sleep that way if they are resting on a leaf or something. Your betta sounds healthy and active, keep it up :)
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM   #3 
lovemygrumpycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Head down sleeping position isn't exactly normal, but some do sleep that way if they are resting on a leaf or something. Your betta sounds healthy and active, keep it up :)
Hm. I wonder if they realize they are upside down? LOL

I can tell he is going to have a big personality.
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM   #4 
Kisiel

To answer you other question, yes, bettas can be quite playful. Many will show off for you to get your attention and food!
Kisiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM   #5 
lovemygrumpycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisiel View Post
To answer you other question, yes, bettas can be quite playful. Many will show off for you to get your attention and food!
I knew this!! This is what he was doing last night! I posted the pictures in the Betta Picture section. He is a little ham!!

I didn't know they had such a personality!!
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM   #6 
hgual22

Bettas sleep weird. Atlas sleeps laying down on the gravel, up against the glass and his banana plant. I think hes dead everytime I see him during the night. Sushi sleeps on one of her plant leaves, usually her largest banana plant leaf, or an anubis leaf. My moms betta, George, has a clump of moss that he snuggles up in and sleeps.
hgual22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM   #7 
lovemygrumpycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgual22 View Post
Bettas sleep weird. Atlas sleeps laying down on the gravel, up against the glass and his banana plant. I think hes dead everytime I see him during the night. Sushi sleeps on one of her plant leaves, usually her largest banana plant leaf, or an anubis leaf. My moms betta, George, has a clump of moss that he snuggles up in and sleeps.
Oh goodness, sounds like your crew has strange little habits as well!
What is a banana plant?
Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM   #8 
Kisiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygrumpycat View Post
I knew this!! This is what he was doing last night! I posted the pictures in the Betta Picture section. He is a little ham!!

I didn't know they had such a personality!!
You'd be surprised how much personality a little fish like that can have :)

My boy, Lucifer gets annoyed when it's fasting day and I'm feeding my other betta. He'll come right to the front of the tank and start flaring to catch my attention when the little one is getting food and he's not! Silly boy!

I saw the pictures :) they made me giggle! Your boy is so handsome, I really like his colours.

And I also fully agree with hgual22, some fish sleep really weird. One of mine sleeps with his face in the thermometer or on top of the heater's suction cups -.-

Edit: here's an article on banana plants;
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nymphoides_aquatica
Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM   #9 
lovemygrumpycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisiel View Post
You'd be surprised how much personality a little fish like that can have :)

My boy, Lucifer gets annoyed when it's fasting day and I'm feeding my other betta. He'll come right to the front of the tank and start flaring to catch my attention when the little one is getting food and he's not! Silly boy!

I saw the pictures :) they made me giggle! Your boy is so handsome, I really like his colours.

And I also fully agree with hgual22, some fish sleep really weird. One of mine sleeps with his face in the thermometer or on top of the heater's suction cups -.-
OMG! You should snap some pictures on his next "fasting" day. I would love to see that!!

Thank you!!

Speaking of fasting day.. do you pick one day out of the week to do that? Or do you just fast once a week- the day is random?
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM   #10 
Kisiel

Usually you just pick a day and fast on this day every week. For me it's Sundays, but the fish honestly don't care so just pick whatever suits you best :)