Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2015, 11:13 PM   #1 
Martylaroche5

Smile Betta is innactive and swims a bit sideways

Hey guys. I got a new betta yesterday and he has not eaten since.he is in a 10 gallon tank with a filter and the water temp seems good because ive had bettas since im really young and had them in 2.5 gallon tanks with no filter anyways...he swims a bit on his side and lays in the bottom of the tank oh and he is also scared of me i dimed the light and he is more active but i just want to know if he his just stressed or sick thanks and sorry for writting the bibble
Martylaroche5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:16 PM   #2 
Martylaroche5

I forgot to say... The tank is bare bottom i have one plant at the moment and i made some sort of cave with a styrofoam cup
Old Yesterday, 02:30 AM   #3 
nemo number2

I'm no expert, but:
Put a small pump in there to keep the water oxygenated.
The plant could be competing with the fish so that may not be helping.

Try a silk one.

styrofoam may not be the best either.
nemo number2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM   #4 
Fenghuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo number2 View Post
I'm no expert, but:
Put a small pump in there to keep the water oxygenated.
The plant could be competing with the fish so that may not be helping.

Try a silk one.

styrofoam may not be the best either.
Actually, bettas are labyrinth fish, meaning essentially that they can take atmospheric oxygen directly from the air. They do not require additional aeration from a bubbler to breathe. Live plants also do not take air from them...

Martylaroche5, does your tank have a heater? Is there anyway for you to tell exactly what the temperature is? The ideal temperature for bettas is roughly between 78-82 degrees Fahrenheit (approximately 25-27 degrees Celsius) and too cold water might cause bettas to be sluggish and inactive.

Is your betta fish's long finned? You mentioned a filter. How strong is the water flow from it? The current from the water filter may also be too strong for some bettas and give them trouble when they are swimming.

Swimming sideways could also be due to swim bladder disorder (SDB), which can be something he is prone to because of genetics or caused by overfeeding and/or stress.

A little more information might help us figure out what is wrong with your betta.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM   #5 
Martylaroche5

I dont have a heater but its really hot in my room and he is near the thing that makes heat sorry im french canadian and dont know my words. My filter was too powerfull for him but ive fixed something with plastic. And yes he is a long finned betta. He still does not eat but he goes to the surface now because i think my lamp was too much light but he is better now exept for swimming side ways but. Thanks for all your help
Old Today, 03:27 AM   #6 
nemo number2

Well, I am not going to argue the point, but although they do have lungs I can't see any problem with putting more air in the water.

Now, about the plant: someone else who has a beta fish but had him in a very simple bowl, finally put a plant in there to give him something to hide in.
Shortly after that, it died. The fish, not the plant.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions.
nemo number2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:56 AM   #7 
Fenghuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo number2 View Post
Well, I am not going to argue the point, but although they do have lungs I can't see any problem with putting more air in the water.

Now, about the plant: someone else who has a beta fish but had him in a very simple bowl, finally put a plant in there to give him something to hide in.
Shortly after that, it died. The fish, not the plant.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions.
Bettas come up to the surface to breathe. Aerators put oxygen in the water. It neither helps nor hurts, but it is not a necessary piece of equipment to get.

I have live plants in all my tanks. I do not think I ever had a fish die as a result of plants being placed in their tanks, and I have tanks of all size, both filtered and unfiltered. It is unfortunate that your friend's fish died, but I wouldn't take one case and generalize it like that. Correlation does not equal causation.

I am not trying to pick a fight, nor am I claiming to know everything. I am merely trying to be informative to the best of my knowledge.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote