Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #1 
paige2296

Fat Betta

I just got this beautiful guy from petsmart day before yesterday. I've been feeding the aqueon pellets which I have used before for previous bettas and they seemed to do fine. I've been going by the only feed what they can eat in 3 minutes rule and he's eating well. My concern is that he looks really unhealthily fat. Keep in mind I had just fed him before this picture was taken. He was like this before I got him. Will fasting him for a day help? What should I do? Also does anyone have any ideas as to what his coloring is? I've been thinking maybe metallic?

Last edited by paige2296; 03-22-2015 at 06:31 PM.
paige2296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:34 PM   #2 
Bailmint

The three minute rule is not what you should go by.

You should first, get better quality pellets, Aqueon is awful. I recommend Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets or NLS. Also, you should only feed about 3-5 pellets once or twice a day.
Bailmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:34 PM   #3 
shooter

He isn't fat, he is bloated/constipated. I would fast him for a couple of days and see if it goes down.
shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:36 PM   #4 
paige2296

Ok thanks I will fast him tomorrow and start feeding less food.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:54 AM   #5 
jato

Be careful during this period. A beta can go a week without eating so fasting for more than one day is ok, I would give him two or three days to let him clean his system. Otherwise he may remain bloated and if it goes on too long ascites may occur which is normally fatal.

Let him poop it out :)
jato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #6 
Kisiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jato View Post
Be careful during this period. A beta can go a week without eating so fasting for more than one day is ok, I would give him two or three days to let him clean his system. Otherwise he may remain bloated and if it goes on too long ascites may occur which is normally fatal.

Actually, a betta can go for about a month without eating. Not feeding them for a week when you're on holiday won't harm the fish at all!

OP: it's good practice to fast your fish one or two days in a week anyway, you should start doing that once the bloat is relieved. When feeding, feed one or two pellets at a time and stop offering food when his belly is slightly rounded - not bloated. If his belly still looks full during next feeding, you can either skip it or offer a tiny amount of food, for example just a pellet or two. I do this sometimes as some of my fish can become quite stressed when they've not been fed at their regular feeding time!
Kisiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #7 
jato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisiel View Post
Actually, a betta can go for about a month without eating. Not feeding them for a week when you're on holiday won't harm the fish at all!
True, but I would go back to the principle of just because you can....

I personally would not hold food for more than 1 week.
jato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:29 PM   #8 
paige2296

Quote:
Originally Posted by jato View Post

Okay I will fast him for a few days and see how it goes. =)
Old 03-23-2015, 06:49 PM   #9 
Lovemybetta11

ouch, that sucks to be bloaded... Not really sure, but could he be a she that's pregnant?
Lovemybetta11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:54 PM   #10 
kevinap2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailmint View Post
The three minute rule is not what you should go by.

You should first, get better quality pellets, Aqueon is awful. I recommend Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets or NLS. Also, you should only feed about 3-5 pellets once or twice a day.
Here we go again. Aqueon, while not on the same level as NLS or Omega One, is far from awful. There are far worse foods out there- like pretty much anything from Wardley or Tetra.

It sounds like the OP is overfeeding. Let's advise fasting the fish for a day or two and then feeding smaller amounts before we automatically blame the food. Some people just don't live close enough to fish stores or have the resources to change fish food at the drop of a hat.
kevinap2 is offline   Reply With Quote