Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM   #1 
Roxy

Did NLS changed their betta formula

It's been about a year since I had my last betta... and I purchased a new tub of NLS betta formula. The pellet seems larger and harder than it used to be. Did anyone else notice this?

My betta ( larger than normal sized... I assume it's what you call a ' giant / king beta ' ) had trouble chewing the pellet so he always spits it out. It's unfortunate considering NLS is the best food out there.

Last edited by Roxy; Yesterday at 03:49 PM.
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM   #2 
MikeG14

Yep, the pellets have gotten bigger and a bit harder in my opinion. I have a batch with an expiration date of 5/16 and the pellets are small and easy for my little plakat to handle. I also have a batch with an expiration date of 6/17 and they are much larger and and seem harder, so much that they cause my little guy to cough and flush his gills after he eats them. Sometimes he will just reject them outright.

My King handles them just fine, he would eat a ham sandwich if I threw it in the tank.

I've been using Omega One for the little guy. The pellets appear to be the same size as the larger NLS, but he has no trouble with them.
MikeG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM   #3 
DWS

This is interesting to me! Everyone recommended NLS to me, recently, but my fish spits them out. Sometimes, he manages to swallow them, but he won't eat the larger pellets. He loves his Omega One pellets, though. They are very small.
DWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM   #4 
MikeG14

Just to give you an idea of the size difference I was talking about I attached a photo. Both of the NLS are supposed to be 1MM pellets.
Attached Images

MikeG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM   #5 
Roxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG14 View Post
Just to give you an idea of the size difference I was talking about I attached a photo. Both of the NLS are supposed to be 1MM pellets.
Thank you for the confirmation and the picture!

Yeah... that's a big difference in size.

I called NLS not too long ago ( today ) and a lady picked up the phone. She explained that they made the pellet larger because ' people were complaining about how small it was ' and harder because ' people were complaining about how it was easily crushed ' * shrugs *

She didn't seem all that friendly though... and didn't say anything like ' thank you for your feedback, we will keep that in mind '. I guess they don't plan on changing it?
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM   #6 
Littlefin

NLS pellets where WAY too big for my betta. I tried everything but he just wouldn't eat it so now he's eating Hikari pellets. Yes, i know they aren't the best food for a betta, i plan on getting Omega One in maybe the next 2 months. It's a shame that they're too big and hard for bettas to eat even though they are a very good brand..
Littlefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM   #7 
logisticsguy

My fish used to like the NLS Betta the best. Since the change they barely touch them and actually prefer the tiny NLS Grow pellets better. I wont buy them again. Check out Seachems betta pellet NutriDiet Betta. Its nice and soft the fish love them and it has zero fillers. The fly larvae product makes a nice treat for the fish as well.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...iet-Betta.html
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Each batch comes out different so they won't always be the same exact size.

If the pellets are too big you can just pick up a pinch in the container and grind the pellets against each other to make them smaller, that's what I do and over time they're nice and small, I get a good range from .5 mm to 1 mm since I do have all different sized Bettas.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:11 AM   #9 
Polkadot

I noticed the difference with my latest NLS jar too.There is a mix of big & small,it has worked out good though as I give the big ones to my big boys & the small ones to my small boys.

But yeah,definitely a difference with the newer batch.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote