Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2015, 01:56 PM   #1 
Tree

Unhappy I just don't understand her... (video in thread)

Video of Maguro frantically surfing??
https://plus.google.com/u/0/10468009...98748332919067

I am so confused... what do you think she is doing? I have been treating her with General cure cause of possible parasites. Her belly has done down some and yet she has not eaten in a week now. She did eat a pellet two days after I got her but now she is acting like this and getting herself tired and breathing heavily. I tried many things in front of the glass in case of reflection, she pauses to look and then goes back to the surfing. She sleeps at night and I have tested this out. When I turn on my room light she starts to surf. So I am almost certain that it is the reflection she is seeing but not sure how to stop it. Should I try a darker color on all three sides of the tank? or a lighter color?

I did place her in a 2.6 gallon tank when I first got her then moved her to a 5.5 tank due to my other boy that has SBD. She seemed to have been fine in the smaller tank before. That is where she ate her first pellet. You don't think the space is overwhelming her do you?

All of my tanks are cycled and NPTs so I know nothing is going on in the water. I have never had a fish do this so much to cause me to worry. And to the point where they are exhausted.

Anyone have answers?
Tree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:07 PM   #2 
BettaFishyMatt17

Maybe it has something to do with her reflection? Or maybe she is just curious about whats outside the tank. xD
BettaFishyMatt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #3 
Tree

maybe lol. But I still do think she has something going on with her. And parasites are the only thing I can think of. =/ I am giving her treatment. though all I want is for her to eat.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:49 PM   #4 
Greenapp1es

How long have you had her? Glass surfing is pretty normal in a new tank for a couple weeks or more for some fish.

I'm not seeing anything to indicate parasites, what makes you think she has them?
Greenapp1es is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #5 
Tree

I have had her for two weeks now.

she was scratching on items in the tank, darting, bloated and had stress stripes. though she is not doing it as bad and her belly has gone down. she does this all day long. She does have some specks on her head but I think that is her pattern. oh and she has not been eating. she ate some pellets the second day but after that she stopped and started doing this.

Last edited by Tree; 07-22-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #6 
Fin Fancier

She seems really hyper, her color is great, and her body looks normal. I'd imagine if she did have parasites, that is no longer the case, or at least that the medicine is working.

Have you only tried pellets with her? Brine shrimp is what I use when I feel my boys are being picky. Or you could try wingless fruit flies to try to entice her. These fish are insectivores so it might bring out her inner huntress. They sell the fruit flies in little tubes at Petsmart.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:31 PM   #7 
Tree

that's good to hear. =)

I have tried frozen blood worms but she did not seem to take it, Though that was last Friday. Maybe I will try again today. I have brine shrimp mixed with in with the bloody worms so I will try all the mixtures today to see if I get a biter. LOL

if all else fails maybe I should try the fruit flies.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:51 PM   #8 
meowrisa

Looks like shes chasing her reflection to me. Put a little mirror in the tank and see if she does the same thing against it.
meowrisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #9 
FinnDublynn

Looks like normal glass surfing to me.
FinnDublynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:10 AM   #10 
jadaBlu

I agree she is chasing her reflection. She thinks she sees another betta and is trying to get after it.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote