Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM   #1 
KORHC

Question API GH and KH help

I just tested my water on the GH (General Hardness) and CH (Carbonate Hardness), i just got the results but i do not know how to interpret it. For KH I had 4 drops, and for GH I had 9 drops. Is this reading a good thing?
KORHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:30 AM   #2 
Kim

If you go to this link and click "learn more," you will get a PDF file with a chart on interpreting KH and GH
Welcome to API Fishcare: GH & KH TEST KIT

Hope this helps!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:48 AM   #3 
KORHC

Even looking at the chart it is really confusing. When i look at the GH and KH conversion chart, is the dKH mean the amount of drops of dKH? If that's the case what is "# of drops" referring to, the GH?
Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM   #4 
BettaMummy87

Your KH is: 4ºdKH/71.6ppm
Your GH is: 9ºdKH/161.1ppm

ºdKH and ppm are just two ways of expressing the results. Read from the drops to the reading you are most comfortable using. The majority of posts I see on my forums are referred to in ºdKH, though.

As for whether it is a good thing, neither is inherently bad for your betta. However, it is worth monitoring your PH regularly with a 4ºdKH. Carbonate hardness is your waters capacity to buffer PH swings. You really need to stay on top of water changes to keep you KH up where it is.

I saw this example a while back: Think of your water's PH as a stack of papers, and the KH as a paperweight. Low KH = small paperweight, high KG= big paperweight. When it gets windy (something happens to alter your water chemistry, like a build up of minerals if WC is delayed), that KH 'paperweight' has to hold the PH steady, which is harder if it is low.

Depending on your water PH level, you may want to consider if it is worth raising your KH. Bettas are pretty hardy, but if your PH is at the bottom end of their tolerance level, increasing this buffer may be worth the effort, but it can be maintained with regular water changes and monitoring, as I said above. :)

Last edited by BettaMummy87; Yesterday at 06:36 AM.
BettaMummy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM   #5 
KORHC

Thank you!
Regarding my low KH level, what method would you do in raising it? And by how much should i raise it by?
Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM   #6 
BettaMummy87

It depends. A lot of people don't hold with adjusting it unecessarily. Do you know the PH of your water?

A betta should be fine from 6.5 anywhere up to 8PH as long as it is stable. If your water is around 7.5 I wouldnt buffer, personally. However, if it is below this you are getting into the territory where a PH crash could cause a big issue. Fortunately, carbonates can be added naturally, but still comes with all the risks of faffing with water chemistry. Adding something to buffer your water will not mean you dont have to monitor it.

Before adding anything, I would recommend PH testing your tank once a day (at around the same time each day) and before and after the next water change. If your PH doesn't fluctuate, I would do a PH test weekly before any W/C, and leave it at monitoring. I have seen cases where PH fluctuates rapidly, even within 24hrs, in water under 3ºdKH, at which point the lack of stability would make me want to think about additives. If your PH stabalises at a suitable level, regular water changes and 'ageing' your water should be enough on their own.

Your PH level, and its consistency, is critical here.

Last edited by BettaMummy87; Yesterday at 07:58 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Nice explanation and good advice, Mummy.

I can't seem to open that chart, Kim.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM   #8 
BettaMummy87

I had issues with it on my pc, too. Works fine on laptop, strangely. It's here
Old Today, 08:09 AM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I give <sigh> Thanks for the good try.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote