Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Today, 03:20 AM   #1 
FinnDublynn

Film on top of Tank

So, I just noticed when I got home this evening there seemed to be a film over the top of my Betta's tank. It looked almost oily, tho I don't think its been there long. I soaked it up and cleaned it off with some paper towel without even thinking about taking a picture or figuring out what it really was...

Food doesn't stay in his tank long, as he eats it, and I suction up leftover food and his waste several times a day, So I'm assuming that its not an "overfeeding" issue.

Finn seems to be doing quite well despite, he's swimming around happy as ever. Is this something leaching out of my sand or off the plant..? And is this normal? I just did a 25% water change i think, 2 days ago? and plan on doing a large water change later this week when his new plants come in.
FinnDublynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:26 AM   #2 
FinnDublynn

Here's a picture, I just took it because it's back a little bit. You can see those "black spots" where the film isn't covering. The rest of the picture, where it looks slightly blurry, is the film.
Attached Images

Old Today, 03:34 AM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It's normal and nothing to worry about (at least with bettas) as long as it isn't too thick, and happens on pretty much every tank without good circulation. IIRC it's a biofilm, basically just harmless bacteria.

You can get a filter or air pump to get rid of it.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:38 AM   #4 
FinnDublynn

He's got a very good filter running, with a combination of Seachem Matrix Carbon, Matrix, and Purigen. The top of the picture shows the piece of sponge that I use to slow the outflow so it doesn't cause too much current for him, so there's very little "flow" but the filter is on constant. That would make sense and would explain why I've never seen it before, this is the first Betta I've owned, and before this I had other tanks, other fish, with high flowing high circulatory filters. Glad to know its not anything that can harm him!! I was worried for a moment there.
Old Today, 03:44 AM   #5 
FinnDublynn

I just moved the sponge part and it DID make the flow a little less than it even was before, when I did my 25% water change. I'll keep an eye on the film and make sure it doesn't get too thick, and readjust the "flow sponge"(as i like to call it) as needed. Thank you for the quick reply!!
Old Today, 10:44 AM   #6 
rubbie5837

You could also add an airstone. That would create enough surface movement to keep the film from showing up. And if your guy is anything like mine, he might enjoy playing in the bubbles. Just make sure that you get a gag valve (about $4 for a double one at Wal-Mart) so it won't create too much movement and frighten your betta. It's just a suggestion.
rubbie5837 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:17 PM   #7 
FinnDublynn

That's actually a really good idea!! I thought about an air stone, I've had them in my other tanks. But i wasn't sure if they'd be good for a Betta or not so just decided against it... I totally think I'll have the perfect spot for one once the rest of his live plants come in and his tank is "finished".

And he does totally love playing with the bubbles on the side of the tank that show up when I add water with the spray hose of my sink... he'll bite at them and rub up against them. He's an active little dude so i think I'll have to try that for sure!
Old Today, 02:05 PM   #8 
rubbie5837

Glad I could help. Yeah my Rubbie really loves them and when his air pump was messed up, he was constantly looking for the bubbles. He is happy as can be now that he has them back.
rubbie5837 is online now   Reply With Quote