Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2014, 04:26 AM   #1 
nevandavismom

Going away for a few days

Last time I went out of town for a few days I drove our fish to my brothers house. Then the fish went to my moms house because my brother could not watch the fish. By the time we got Flutter back the water was all cloudy and he was not eating for a few days. Totally stressed him out. Now I have learned from this website, thank goodness, that this was unnecessary and next time I can just leave the fish where he is and let him be. He will be ok for a few days without eating. Well, irs time for me to go away again for a few days and my question is, if I feed him when I leave and then again when I come back will he eat right away or will it take him a while to eat again?
nevandavismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #2 
VivianKJean

Actually, the main concern when you go on vacation is water quality, not him not eating.

Does your tank have a filter? If it does, then do a 50%-75% water change the morning you leave. and do another water change when you come back. If you do not have a filter then you 100% water changes instead.

Feed him like you normally would up until you leave. Do not overfeed.

When you get back you can start feeding him right away. When I got away my fish never have any troubles with starting eating again.
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #3 
Fernfronds

Bettas tend to do fine without food for a few days in my experience. I go to conventions with my boyfriend every so often, and when we go, he has no one to feed his office Betta, and he does fine for a few days without food. But his tank is always cleaned before we leave, and he always has a normal meal right before we leave. He is is usually perfectly fine, but hungry when we get home, and has never had any hesitation eating again when we get back.

Keep in mind, though, every Betta is different. In general, though, your little guy should be fine for a few days without food :)
Fernfronds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:46 PM   #4 
nevandavismom

VivianKjean im glad you mentioned that because I was worried about that too. Before I read your post, I had already done a 75% water change with gravel vac. Yes, we do have a filter now. Its so much better. I see what you guys mean about having a filter is better. I finally was able to baffle the filter I have enough so it wouldn't bother Flutter.
We are on the road but still concerned. Now my concern is water temperature. Our condo can get really hot into the upper 90s low 100s without a fan blowing. I wanted to leave the window fan on for him but my husband said no for home safety reasons and I understand this. But what happens if his water gets too hot when Im gone?
nevandavismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #5 
VivianKJean

Betta can usually survive higher temperatures. My apartment also gets VERY hot during the summer months and I often leave to go on weekend trips. Im sure that my water gets into the 90s while I am gone and my fish have done just fine.
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote