Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #1 
Pauline3

Help with moving to larger tank

Hi all, I'm new to the group.
(Waving)
I currently have a 3 gallon tetra half moon tank with a sponge filter and heater and have purchased a 6.6 gallon hexagon tank.

Since his tank is fairly established can I just move him to the new tank using part of the old water and the rest new (already treated and waiting) water?

I do have a tetra filter that came with the tank but am unsure if I need that and the sponge one (which I really like).

My baby is very aggressive and I believe a tail biter as all I have in his tank are anemone's, a very well sanded cave, gravel and a hammock (which I think may have had a sharp underside so I curved it). I just think he doesn't live having a tail as much as he enjoys swimming. :). He has adorable dumbo ears!!!

Thanks all.

PS. Thinking of switching out the gravel (typical multicolored) for marbles, should I wait until new tank is more established?
Pauline3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #2 
Sereya

Move the old filter with you and you have just brought your cycle. Anything else like gravel and decor is just a bonus. The majority of your cycle lives in the filter.
If you bring your old water and just refill the rest with new it will be similar to a 50% water change. So it can be a little less stressful on him than all new water, but all new can be done if you acclimate him.

Most likely your sponge filter will be fine for the new tank as well.
Sereya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #3 
Aly Homewood

I don't see the point of using any water from the old tank since not many bacteria live in the water colum, unless you are worried about matching the parameters I would just use all new water and make sure to match ph, temperature, etc. I would definitely use his old gravel and more importantly, filter cartridge or if you useing bio media definitely transfer that, I would also recommend using a bacteria supplement (I personally have used seachem stability with much success but I know other people have had different results) and of course use an ammonia neutralizing water conditioner (be careful with this though because most conditioners/products that claim to do this are snake oil at best, seachem prime works and I think nutri fin is one that many people use but I've never used it my self so don't quote me on that) for the first week or so at least to help with the nitrogen cycle and keep the tank safe for your fish, other than the nitrogen cycle I don't think I'd be concerned as long as you match all the water parameters and continue taking good care of your fish. Hope this helped��
Aly Homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #4 
Pauline3

Thanks. I can't wait to give him a bigger home. :). I have prime and stress plus. Should I use a bit of each or just stick with the prime? Maybe then he'll stop the tail biting. It's sad watching it re-grow then have nip spots again.

He's so adorable. How can I post pictures?
Old 07-04-2015, 08:54 PM   #5 
Aly Homewood

If you physically see an injury you could add a slime coat/healing product such as kordon fish protector or seachem stress guard to help with the healing process or you could use aquarium salt at 1 tbsp per gallon to help the healing (don't use aq salts for more than ten days at a time and don't use it too frequently.) If you don't physically see an injury there is no point in using the stress coat, fish naturally produce there own slime coat, they don't need an artificial substitute if there natural one isn't being disrupted, it probably won't harm your fish but it isn't doing anything other than being repetitive. You can post images by clicking the picture icon and then entering the url of your picture, you can also add attachments (including images) by clicking the paperclip icon, in advanced mode.
Aly Homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Good insight and advice from Aly and Sereya.

As long as you're using the same tapwater in the new tank he won't have to adjust to new parameters. So use all new water. Just condition, match temperature and put him in.

Your sponge filter should be OK for the new tank. What brand and model is it? Don't let it dry out when you switch it over.

Marbles trap old food and waste, which makes it hard to keep clean. You're better off with gravel or sand. Now's the best time to change substrate, so your new substrate gets impregnated with bacteria as the tank cycles.

Use just Prime @2-drops/gal daily until your cycle is finished. This might help: CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Hallyx; Yesterday at 08:45 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM   #7 
Pauline3

Omg he is like a king in his new castle. This tank is huge! And he is a swimmer, hence very little clutter. He wants to just go......

I kept the bubbler light from his old tank as he likes riding the bubbles.

I ditched the marble idea but added a dozen little things that look like grapes and are suppose to glow, but don't. He likes cuddling between them on his way to one of his ameneme's. (Sp?). They're swooshy so he approves of them. Oddly he isn't a cave fan, he'll swim through it but that's about it.

We've only had him a few weeks and he has doubled in size, he must still be a baby. My daughter brought one home from college but I killed it after a month by cleaning too much (I think) hence the reason for a bigger tank. Now I don't have to do 100% water changes - and pull my back each time while I'm at it. :)

Still can't figure out how to post pictures unless I go through photobucket - I can't just upload from my phone can I??? I'm just so proud that I want to share.

Oh. I ended up using mostly prime, a dash of stress plus and a dash of aquaroum salt (to help his tail repair). All seems good today. Next to learn to clean bottom. Syringe isn't working well for me and I'm not confident about a vaccuum either. I have found that swishing and stirring things up then skimming with a net does a bit of the work for me. :)
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The best substrate cleaning is done with a siphon/gravel-vacuum. Get the smallest you can find, or try one of these. 50-cent siphon Guaranteed to clean well enough without endangering your fish -- or yourself. And it really does make water changes easier.

What helps tail repair more than salt is a quality, high-protein pellet like New Life Spectrum or Omega One. A little salt to prevent infection is OK, but it doesn't help regrowth.

The easiest way (for me) to upload pics is to load the pics onto the computer, laptop, whatever. Then click Go Advanced below the reply field. Click Manage Attachments then browse for the picture.

Love to see pictures of your tank.

Last edited by Hallyx; Yesterday at 11:52 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM   #9 
Pauline3

I couldn't get that link to work but this is what I'm using now

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AE...a_aw_oh_bia_dp

And this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00

I hope those links work.

I just took about a dozen pics. Now to choose some to share. None show his color as he is too quick (a pic ***** actually)!!!
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM   #10 
Pauline3

Pics! I hope

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  61.8 KB

Tags
betta, substrate, tank upgrade