Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #1 
Zara315

Periwinkle Snail infestation.

Hi everyone!

This is my first post on this site although I have come here marveling at your wonderful Betta's and tank setups.

I have a 10 gallon tank that my boyfriend put a snail in about 2 weeks ago. We think it's a periwinkle snail.The snail doubled in size since it was first put in the tank. I noticed multiple clear sacks throughout the tank and I had a bad feeling that they were eggs from the snail. Today we discovered about 10 little snails with many egg cases still remaining. I'm okay with having one snail, but I really don't want more than that.

What are your suggestions to remedy this problem?

We have multiple moss balls and bamboo with a gravel base.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Zara315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #2 
farmgirl82

Definitely remove the clear sacs before any more hatch. Usually snail "outbreaks" are a result of over feeding so maybe feed your fish a little less food . What fish do you have in the tank? Some fish will eat snails if they are little enough. I would stay away from snail killing chemicals since they can have damaging effects on your biological filtration & plants.
farmgirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #3 
Zara315

Hi Farmgirl82,
Thank you for your quick reply! I have a 2 year old male crowntail betta. My fish is a pretty picky eater .He will only eat one or two frozen blood worms once in a while and the standard small betta pellets. The pellets are too big for him to eat whole so I crush up the pellets to feed him, otherwise he won't eat at all! I have another male betta that will search the bottom of his tank for any left overs, but this betta will eat what is on the surface and once it drops to the ground, I usually don't see him touch it. It's not a lot of food that will be left over, but I guess after a week before I do a water change, it probably adds up.
I was thinking of just doing a 100% water change. Thoroughly wash all of the plants, scrub tank walls, and wash out the gravel. I'm actually a little nervous to do that, but like I said in my last post, I see several egg sacks... but I have a feeling I don't see them all.
Thanks again for your reply!!
Old 10-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #4 
farmgirl82

Thats probably a good idea. Get yourself a turkey baster & suck up any food that drops to the bottom. It will help cut down on your snail.
farmgirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #5 
kjg1029

to control my rams-horn snail population i regularly check the plants in my tank for egg sacks (i found 2 last time i cleaned my tank!). I also am very careful when feeding my betta to not let any food fall and get eatten by the snails. youll also want to remove the ones you see crawling around. some days i find 5 or so snails to take out, and somedays theres only 1, just remeber every snail impacts the population. i just have a gallon size tub that i raise snails in, incase my snails (that are suppose to be in my tanks) die, they can be replaced for free.
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:07 PM   #6 
TerriGtoo

I was not familiar with the periwinkle snail so googled it and it appears that it is a marine / brackish snail? If it is a periwinkle snail I highly doubt that it is going to find the freshwater condition of your tank an ideal place to live. Where did your BF get the snail from?
TerriGtoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:51 PM   #7 
Zara315

He brought the snail from a freshwater river in NJ. Not brackish. I'm not totally positive that it's a periwinkle, although that's what we both think it is. I have a picture of it in my hand in my first post. It doubled in size since then. I will put up a more recent picture ASAP. The snails really seem to be thriving in this tank.
I had 3 goldfish and 2 snails that I purchased from petco in a 16 gallon tank years ago and I never had an issue with a snail infestation before. However, the goldfish never left any food behind, whereas my betta does leave a small amount of little bits of crushed up pellets behind. Do you think that the left over food is a direct correlation to the issue?
Old 10-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #8 
Zara315

kjg1029, When you found more eggs, did you do a 100% water change? I'm not a fan of doing any more than 50% if I have to. I'll usually only do about 25% at a time. I was thinking of doing a 100% change this time and if I see any more eggs after that, just taking them out and keep up with my weekly 25% changes. Think that'll work? If I have to do 100% each time I see eggs, I would rather just get rid of them all than to make my fish go though such thorough cleanings constantly just to maintain a small snail population.
Also, if anyone has gone through this and you decided not to keep the snails even in a separate tank, what did you do with the snails? Would it be a wise decision to bring them back to the river where the first one was found?
You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for your posts!
Old 10-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #9 
kjg1029

nope,I never do more then 50% because my tanks are cycled. I just look at the plants and glass and when I do my weekly wc, if you find any eggs, just throw them away or I put them in my snail tank, if there on a leaf I cut that leave off and toss it in, if there on the glass they get scraped off and poped(nasty! Lol) You can crush them, throw them in the yard, or feed them to another fish that will eat them (like puffers and larger fish that are meat eaters) I wouldn't put them back even tho they came from a river, if you don't want them kill them.

Last edited by kjg1029; 10-28-2014 at 01:30 PM.
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #10 
TerriGtoo

OK. I was hoping you were going to say he got it at a petstore. I personally would be a bit worried introducing a snail from a river or stream right away, as there could possible be parasites or disease transmitted within the tank. If he does that in future I would quarantine any snails or critters you get out of local streams or rivers before introducing them to your established tank.

Your photos are not showing up for me.... not sure about whether others can see them or not.....

Last edited by TerriGtoo; 10-28-2014 at 02:59 PM.
TerriGtoo is online now   Reply With Quote