Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2014, 11:27 PM   #1 
Kdowg2121

Question Feeding Schedules?

I have had my betta about two weeks now, and was curious about his feeding schedule. I feed him three TetraBetta pellets at about 6:30 in the morning, and three more around 3:30 or 4:00 in the afternoon. Then around 9:00 at night, I feed him one Biogold pellet as a little treat. The reason I am asking is because when I had his tank open today to do a water change, I noticed he burped up a little bit of food about two hours after feeding him. I don't know if he does this more often, this was the only time I've ever seen it. Should I feed him less, or change his schedule?

PS: What I have are my only current options for food, I do not have any money.
Kdowg2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:44 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Most experienced keepers I have don't have a strict schedule, and definitely don't count pellets... Mine get fed most days, once or twice. They all get a tiny pinch of new life spectrum and are all doing great.

In all honesty the food you're feeding is a much larger concern than the schedule. I understand that you may not have any money right now, but the first thing I would do when you get five bucks is get a small container of omega one betta buffet PELLETS. Your fish will be better off.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:50 PM   #3 
Schmoo

I count my pellets, and I know quite a few betta keepers that do as well. I'd say 3-5 pellets once a day is good. :] Plus it's a good idea to fast your fish once a week, and if you want to feed him a treat, I'd only do that once (maybe twice) a week as well.

Fish have tiny stomachs (roughly the size of their eye), so feeding them that often can potentially lead to bloating. At the very least, you'll have access food floating around in your tank, which can lead to more frequent water changes.
Schmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:13 AM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Fish's stomaches are significantly larger than their eyeballs, I don't know how that started spreading. I've necropsied enough bettas to know this.

Feeding a better quality food will allow you to avoid bloating, even if you feed more than you should.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:17 AM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu

+1 Matt. Some people (especially those new to fishkeeping) need the schedule more than the fish. The reason there's less bloating with better quality food is there aren't as many "fillers." I don't count pellets and mine aren't on a schedule. In a community tank there's no way to fast so I don't do that, either but there's nothing wrong with fasting if one feels so inclined.

People who've been keeping fish a long time have a "feel" for how much to feed. Sort of like chefs don't really need to measure ... at least my Dad never did.

What you are doing now is fine and I wouldn't worry about the "burping." But like Matt said, when you you have the $$ get a better quality food.

And, Welcome to the Forum!
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #6 
VivianKJean

I usually feed my bettas about once a day or so, usually at night. I do fast them on Fridays.

For any food, i just feed them until their bellies are full and round but not bloated. So I don't really count pellets. I best estimate would be 4-6 New Life Spectrum Pellets. but that is only a guess?
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #7 
MameJenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
+1 Matt. Some people (especially those new to fishkeeping) need the schedule more than the fish. The reason there's less bloating with better quality food is there aren't as many "fillers." I don't count pellets and mine aren't on a schedule. In a community tank there's no way to fast so I don't do that, either but there's nothing wrong with fasting if one feels so inclined.

People who've been keeping fish a long time have a "feel" for how much to feed. Sort of like chefs don't really need to measure ... at least my Dad never did.
Ha, that's a great comparison! I guess that makes me a chef. I have dozens of (tasty!) recipes that I never write down. It is the same thing for animal food, fish included...you get a "feel" for it eventually.

I used to fast my bettas every week and count their pellets, but I mostly stopped doing that after I got a community tank. I also have a micropellet food now, so it makes no sense to count them. It's too hard to see if a betta gets a certain amount when there are nine other fish in the tank. I really don't pay attention to their bellies either - I just feed until they stop eating. I feed everyone twice per day. Of course, I have cycled and planted tanks, so that gives me a little overfeeding wiggle room.
MameJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #8 
SabastiansMom

+1 BettaMatt, Viv, Russell and Jenny! I do count my pellets, but only because I have two ADF's that would gobble up Nick's food. I give him 3-4 NLS twice a day and I make sure he eats it too. Anyway...just wanted to welcome you to the forum.
SabastiansMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:10 AM   #9 
MikeG14

It's my opinion that it's best to feed several smaller meals all throughout the day.
I'd rather drop a pellet in the tanks 6 times a day rather than feed 6 pellets at once.

This is not always realistic with my insane work schedule, but I try my best.
I can do 3 times a day during the work week. On Sundays I drop a pellet every couple of hours if possible.

Maybe I'm anthropomorphizing my fish, but I'd rather go Tapas than Old Country Buffet with them.
MikeG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #10 
JessikaSky

So roughly, how big is a bettas stomach? my eldest gets a very visibly bloated stomach after I feed about 5 to 6 blood worms.. and then I usually don't feed him the next night and it goes back down, I like to give him a big feed then fast him.
JessikaSky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, feeding, food schedule, veiltail