Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #1 
Varmint

Color change

Hi,
It's been awhile since I posted here, but I need help fom people who know Bettas well.

Waldo the wonder fish seems to be mutating. Not sure why. His body was all blue. He has a vertical white strip down the middle now. Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all zero. He is building a small bubble nest which he is defending from his Rasboras. He seems healthy. This started a few weeks ago when he was in his bowl. When we put him in his new tank, he darkened back to all blue and now he has dramatically changed. They say females get vertical breeding stripes, could it be because he is nesting? I'm perplexed!

Old Waldo color:

New Waldo color:
Varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #2 
selah

Your Waldo has the most glorious fins I have ever seen! I have no idea of his coloring change and hope that someone has an idea..
selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #3 
VivianKJean

hmmmm that is a strange color change. My first guess would have been water levels but you tested and they are pristine.

How long was in the bowl? and what were his living conditions like in there?
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #4 
Varmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by selah View Post
Your Waldo has the most glorious fins I have ever seen! I have no idea of his coloring change and hope that someone has an idea..
His fins are tattered in the photo. He had a tail blow out a few months ago. He is a halfmoon and his fins are the longest I've seen. The fins are gorgeous, but he has a hard time swimming when they are fully there.

He seems healthy (he isn't clamping). He eats well. He swims all over and does the usual Waldo things. So I am just a little stumped
Old 11-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #5 
Varmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianKJean View Post
hmmmm that is a strange color change. My first guess would have been water levels but you tested and they are pristine.

How long was in the bowl? and what were his living conditions like in there?
Both Bettas got moved to three gallon heated bowls after I decided I hated the Fluval Edge tanks they were in. They lived there happily for three months. I noticed Waldo began to exhibit the white scales for a week or two towards the end of his stay in the bowl. He turned his normal color after he was added to the tank. He has had the white bands again for about a week.

We made sure the new tanks were fully cycled before adding the boys three weeks ago. One other thing. We are running canister filters instead of the stock Eheim aquastyle filters. Both Bettas seem to enjoy the water coming out of the spray bars that have been turned down a bit so they don't blast water into the tank. Waldo has a log that he goes behind where there is calmer water, that is where his bubble nest is.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #6 
Zhylis

As I recently learned from Lilnaugrim, the marbling gene does affect metallics and dragons (resulting in the strangest color changes). MeredithNa just had a copper go through the same thing. As long as there's nothing fuzzy or slimy on him and he's acting like he usually does, I'd say there's a marble betta somewhere back on his family tree. Don't be surprised if the white area spreads and/or new colors pop up... (There's nothing wrong with him.)
Zhylis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #7 
Varmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhylis View Post
As I recently learned from Lilnaugrim, the marbling gene does affect metallics and dragons (resulting in the strangest color changes). MeredithNa just had a copper go through the same thing. As long as there's nothing fuzzy or slimy on him and he's acting like he usually does, I'd say there's a marble betta somewhere back on his family tree. Don't be surprised if the white area spreads and/or new colors pop up... (There's nothing wrong with him.)
I considered marbling, but the pictures I looked up always looked like marble. Glad to hear it's a possibility. I posted on another forum and someone just suggested he caught incurable neon tetra disease! Since he has had this issue for more than a week, I figured he wasn't going to flop over dead
Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM   #8 
Varmint

Thanks for your help everyone. The changes are subtle, but I think I have a marble Betta. Waldo may be white and yellow soon
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol, Neon Tetra Disease is a species only disease which means Betta's can't contract it haha.

But yes! it does look like he's marbling!!

Think of the Koi and "Fancy" dragons you see on Aquabid, those are all based on the marble genes; some of them stay splotchy (mostly the koi coloration) whereas the others will turn different colors. It doesn't matter the scale type, everything can marble
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM   #10 
Varmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
lol, Neon Tetra Disease is a species only disease which means Betta's can't contract it haha.

But yes! it does look like he's marbling!!

Think of the Koi and "Fancy" dragons you see on Aquabid, those are all based on the marble genes; some of them stay splotchy (mostly the koi coloration) whereas the others will turn different colors. It doesn't matter the scale type, everything can marble
I'm still wrapping my head around Waldo being a white Betta since I was looking for a Mustard Gas when I found my little Green Dragon. Man, that must really disappoint when people go through the whole expense and hassle of importing their fish and then he changes. Here is an updated photo of Waldo's opposite side:

Just curious, if Someone were to breed a fish like this, what would you breed for? Would you try to go Green Dragon or would you breed him to something else? At one point we were thinking of importing a green dragon female, but....