Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2015, 02:14 PM   #1 
tuxthebetta

A reading from a Petco Betta Cup....

This is the ammonia reading from the Petco Betta Cup that my new Butterfly Male was sold in.
I decided to test the water in the cup "just to see".

I thought I messed up when I glanced over and saw the tube had turned dark green!

I expected it to be high - but, wow.

He is swimming happily around his new cycled 10 gal tank now... still getting used to all the space...

Last edited by tuxthebetta; 05-25-2015 at 02:20 PM.
tuxthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:37 PM   #2 
fernielou

Wowzer! I know when I got my latest from walmart she was floating on her side at the top for a WEEK. I can't even imagine how bad it was. Surprised your tube wasn't black! She bounced back quick in a nice tank and I hope yours does, as well.
fernielou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish
Reference Team

I once tested the water of a 1/4 litre plastic container one of my previous bettas came in. The ammonia reading was almost identical to yours.

I mean if you are going to keep these fish in small, unheated containers, the very least that could be done, is ensuring the water is kept clean.

It's not like it takes that long to dump and clean such small containers. Surely there would be time to do it before the store opens, or after it closes.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:46 PM   #4 
imthelobster

The biggest problem is that most of the employees don't care. Making minimum wage + "just a job" = employees who do bare minimum.

You will occasionally get someone who does care about the fish, but it seems like select few.
imthelobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:54 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish
Reference Team

Having previously worked in a Subway store for four or so years, I definitely understand where you are coming from. I personally am very diligent, but there were a lot of employees at my store with extremely poor time management, or who just simply didn't care.

People always ask why I don't work in a fish or pet store. I have to tell them it would likely ruin the hobby entirely for me. I can see why some employees would just burn-out between being dictated what to do by their bosses (even against their better judgement) and having to field questions from a brainless general public.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:57 PM   #6 
imthelobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Having previously worked in a Subway store for four or so years, I definitely understand where you are coming from. I personally am very diligent, but there were a lot of employees at my store with extremely poor time management, or who just simply didn't care.

People always ask why I don't work in a fish or pet store. I have to tell them it would likely ruin the hobby entirely for me. I can see why some employees would just burn-out between being dictated what to do by their bosses (even against their better judgement) and having to field questions from a brainless general public.
McDonalds & Staples previous experience here. It's very unfortunate, especially in regards to fish/pet stores, because they're dealing with living creatures, not just selling inanimate things!
imthelobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #7 
DangerousAngel

I wonder where they put the Bettas when they clean the cups. TBH I think they think if the water isn't cloudy, it's clean. That reading is very shocking, if every Betta cup has the same or similar reading that's really sad. I feel bad for the poor things.
DangerousAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:42 AM   #8 
tuxthebetta

I see many, many, MANY dead bettas at my local Petco. They have posters everywhere stating that they have a "great betta selection", but the actual fish are incredibly sad looking.

I wonder if they actually clean the cups at all, TBH. It's probably just dumped & topped off with water each week. I doubt many even last that long.

We have some really intelligent and knowledgeable fish-keepers working at our Petco -- but it's like they think of bettas as being "disposable" or something. They never get the same attention as the other fish.

I did ask where they got their bettas from. They said "Tropical Fish International", who imports bettas from Thailand.

I'm in Maine, USA -- so that fish had to come from Thailand, to California, to Maine..... literally, the other side of the world....

Last edited by tuxthebetta; 05-26-2015 at 08:44 AM.
tuxthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:58 AM   #9 
fernielou

On Wednesday my pet smart gets them in blue water filled cups. If the fish is still in a blue cup past Wednesday, that's the length since the water change. My petco and pets mart are really good. They are actually better than LFS which keeps BEtta in a. 2 oz CONDIMENT CUP. I actually went one thursday where I learned about the wed shipment/blue water and the teen complained people had been lazy not changing it already and he started changing all the cups in front of me.

They really try to educate...like they told a lady returning dead mollies and comets that she shouldn't have added the comets bc yhey are just feeders and not pets and they add too much waste.
fernielou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #10 
kjg1029

this has happened to me, but from a small LPS, I was furious, I should have went back and ripped that guy a new one lol. I still have that betta probably close to a year latter...its absolutely heart breaking that they can survive in that poor of conditions
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote