Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2015, 06:34 PM   #1 
Elleth

Question About Pet Store Protocol

I'm planning to get a betta from either a local pet store or the nearest Petco. Would it be considered improper to ask the water in the cup to be tested for ammonia and nitrites before purchasing?

I'd really like to know the levels so that I can treat for ammonia/nitrite poisoning as fast as possible if necessary. Also, if levels are absurdly high is it okay if I ask that the water be changed before I bring it home? I know traveling long distances with fish are not ideal, but I live an hour away from the nearest place I can purchase a betta. So I don't want my next to sit in horrid water any longer than necessary.

And it would be nice to have if the fish died. Sample of water they know was theirs in comparison to a sample of mine.

I have my own test kit I could bring, too.

I know I seem very paranoid, but I'm really not pleased with the water quality of bettas I've purchased in the area before, and I'd like to be able to show them why it's not good, as well as make sure I can do the best for my fish as quickly as possible.

Anyway, thoughts or comments are appreciated. I'm just not sure what to do.
Elleth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:41 PM   #2 
copperfish

I'd be ok asking, but dipping a test strip in the water could give you a quick easy reading regarding ammonia. Not a fan of strips, but in this case it'll tell you at least what you need to know easily and quickly.
copperfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #3 
VivianKJean

honestly, I don't know if Petco will agree to test their own water. Petco doesn't want to admit that they do anything wrong.

Also doing a water change can severely shock a fish if not acclimated properly and I doubt petco will want to do that.

I would just pick a fish and get him home asap.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #4 
Elleth

Ah true I had spaced acclimation, that was stupid of me. :P (The shortest time I've ever spent acclimating a fish was 3 hours, so I do know about it, lol. Brain fart is my plea). I guess I can just try and choose the healthiest fish this time and hope for the best.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #5 
jato

Here is what I did for my King that I purchased from Petco.

Call them and ask when their next shipment of NEW bettas come in, they'll tell you. For mine, he was the only king in that shipment so I asked them to please change his water for me (which they did) and to set him aside as I would be there to pick him up in an hour. (Im in SD, the nearest Petco is 1 hour away, I refuse to go into Walmart's fish department here or I'd be coming home with 15 rescues and be in debt on top of college debt lol)

But as you do not know which fish you are getting, just ask for the next fish shipment and be there that day :) ask for the new ones, they know, but you do run the risk of them lying.
jato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Take a dropper and a bottle of Prime and add one drop to the cup of the Betta you choose.

www.msjinkzed.com tells her customers to add on drop of Prime the minute they unpack any inverts or fish that have been shipped so I think it would apply to PetCo/PetSmart Betta, too.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:05 PM   #7 
jato

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Take a dropper and a bottle of Prime and add one drop to the cup of the Betta you choose.

www.msjinkzed.com tells her customers to add on drop of Prime the minute they unpack any inverts or fish that have been shipped so I think it would apply to PetCo/PetSmart Betta, too.
A very good idea... how come I didn't think about this? >.<
jato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #8 
Elleth

You guys are awesome! :D Thank you so much! I feel much more comfortable about purchasing another locally now. (I have bought 2 local and 1 from Thailand). I'll definitely call and ask about when their next shipment is once I have my tank set up. And bringing Prime is an amazing idea. Thank you! :)
Old 03-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #9 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jato View Post
A very good idea... how come I didn't think about this? >.<
I didn't think of it, either.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

I have done the Prime trick in the past when I used to work near a pet store and my fish would have to stay in their bag or container during my shift. One fish did get a full water change in the sink at the back, but the others would get some Prime added to their water to detoxify any ammonia.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote