Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2015, 09:17 AM   #1 
neonXrabbit

more questions about cycling

I just did a 25% water change and will probable do a 50% friday maybe. I haven't started cycling yet and I'm a bit hesitant, because I heard that it's hard on your fish? Would an fish in cycle potentially make my fish sick?

If I choose not to cycle, would water changes twice a week and a full at the end of the month be good enough? Or should I avoid full changes all together even if I don't cycle?

I have a 5gallon tank with a whisper micro filter
neonXrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #2 
Dayofhope

Do you have a water test kit? They're a bit expensive, but very helpful and certain kits will last a long time.

I just finished cycling my first 5g. It was kind of confusing at first, but it's easier than it sounds. I tested the water every other day and if the Ammonia or Nitrite levels were over .5, I did a 50% water change. This was easy for me because I had a 2.5 gallon bucket to transfer the water. I just use that and use a cup to dump the water and a turkeybaster to do a quick clean up. And every day I dosed it with Seachem Prime, which detoxifies the Ammonia. At first, I had to do water changes every other day or so. After a few weeks, it became less frequent. After awhile, the tests started showing the levels fine even after a few days. When the levels were fine after a week without a water change, I figured my tank was cycled.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think that the tank will naturally cycle after awhile if you keep up with 50% water changes. Not sure on 100% wc. I'd really recommend getting a test kit so you know all of this for sure.

So long as you keep on the water changes, it's not too hard on your fish, I don't think. If you only have a betta, it should be fine. The cycling itself isn't specifically what's hard on the fish, it's the part where the fish is exposed to the toxic ammonia...but just having water changes is more or less the same thing.

Sorry if any of this stuff is wrong...I'm pretty new at it as well, but I feel like it went okay. It can definitely be kind of overwhelming, and I was really afraid at first that I'd kill my fish. But everything turned out fine. If you haven't, definitely read the two-sentence cycling tutorial and the other cycling guides on the forum.
Dayofhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:27 PM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Good job, Dayofhope.

Neon, this is the procedure that Dayofhope followed: CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial

By using Prime as your water conditioner, the fish is never exposed to toxic ammonia. Prime detoxifies ammonia so, although there is some in the tank, it is not dangerous for the fish.

A cycled tank provides the best water quality for your fish. It's always worth it.

What is the exact brand and model of your filter?
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM   #4 
neonXrabbit

thank you very much for the info! but yeah. The name of the filter is just Whisper Micro filter. It's a pretty basic one that came with my tank that I got at walmart. Also, I bought the 3.38oz bottle of tetra safestart plus, and on the back of the bottle it says for me to dump the whole thing into the tank. Is this correct? I want to make sure that this is right since the info on most fish products that I've had so far have been incorrect
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

TSS works great; really speeds up the cycle. Shake well and pour the whole thing into your filter. Rinse out the bottle in the tank.

Still follow the tutorial for readings and water changes.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM   #6 
neonXrabbit

Thank you very much! I'll have the prime coming in the mail tomorrow, so I'm going to start then