Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Yesterday, 01:13 AM   #1 
jewelqueen17

Question New to Indian Almond Leaves

So I read that IAL is a good stress reducer for bettas, releasing tannins and helping somewhat when they are sick or injured. I've thought about getting some, is this a good idea for a male betta with fin rot in a 2.5 gallon being treated with tetracycline? And if it is then how do I use it, how much etc?
jewelqueen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah you can use them. Are you sure it's fin rot? I just ask because a lot of people don't know about fin biting which in more cases than not, it ends up being fin biting. Here's a thread to help you determine; http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=346377

And you can just cut the leaf into strips and use the strips, usually one leaf is a little too big for most tanks lol Usually a strip is good for about 2-4 weeks depending on how fresh the leaf is and all that jazz. I just take them out when they start to look sort of nasty. I usually keep some in though for something like a shrimp tank, they actually eat all the lovely bugs on the leaf (don't worry, the insects won't harm your fish!! He'll eat them too if he finds them ) so it won't hurt if you leave it in longer if you want, you can take it out when you feel like it.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM   #3 
jewelqueen17

Yes, I'm quite sure its fin rot, it sure acts like fin rot and it's horrible, too! :( So they actually eat the IALs? I thought they were carnivores.
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM   #4 
MikeG14

No Jewel, they don't eat the leaves. I found this really cool article about the benefits of IAL in your aquarium maybe it will give you a better understanding,
http://bettafishawarenessday.blogspo...mond-leaf.html

Recently, I found that Petsmart carries IAL in their hermet crab section,
http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/hab...Term%3Dcatappa

I keep it in my tanks 24/7. I just float a whole leaf in my 10 gallon tanks on top of my betta tubes. It looks really nice and provides a nice little area of shade for my fish. My little guy loves to build his bubblenests near them. Sometimes I like to let them sink to provide a natural hideaway.

If you are interested shoot me a PM and I will tell you where I get mine. It's a reliable US based supplier, huge Grade A leaves & free shipping.
MikeG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM   #5 
jewelqueen17

I actually just went and bought the Petsmart leaves, they are kind of pricey for the quantity but I feel okay with it for now, since I was only really interested for the fin rot issue. I may want to get some more later for regular use though, they do sound good.
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM   #6 
jewelqueen17

So activated carbon removes the tannins, right? But if I need to keep my filter on and I don't want the carbon inside the cartridge, how do I get rid of the carbon? I've heard some things around about hacking out a hole in the cartridge, how does that work since mine is mostly carbon-filled fluff on a plastic frame (Aqueon filter)?
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM   #7 
MikeG14

Yep, you need to take out the carbon. I suppose you could put a hole in the bag and take it out. I would suggest buying a piece of filter sponge from a pet store and cut it to size and replace it altogether. I lot of people on the forum do this. I can't give you the particulars because I use only sponge filters.
MikeG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM   #8 
jewelqueen17

Okay then. I'll look for filter sponges, in the meantime I'll try my best with the Aqueon filter cartridges. Thanks so much!

Tags
indian almond leaf