Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2014, 05:34 AM   #1 
Holliex

Introducing myself :)

Hello :)

I have been lurking in the background for some months and thought it was about time to say hello.

My name is Hollie, I have 13 fish tanks in total including 2 Bettas and community tropical tanks, fry tanks and Godies.

My first Betta is Percy He is a blue and red veil tail, I've had him a while in a 3 Gallon. He is about 2.5" in body and he is doing great!

My second Betta is a recent addition, Eddie. He is a pink and red Halfmoon Betta. He is a baby at about an inch long in body and has been imported from Thailand to Wales and then on to me in England. He is suffering with pretty severe fin damage from his travels and I'm hoping pristine water will help him heal.

I do have a little question about the best way to treat his damage. Is pristine water the best way or is there a medication that will help? He appears fine in himself but I am worried about doing such large water changes after his travels.

Thank you all for all the advice I have seen on here, it's really great!xxx
Attached Images

Holliex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:04 AM   #2 
itamag

When I treated my betta with a medicine when he had fin rot, it got him into shock. It was quite dangerous, he was just floating on the top and wasn't very responsive. In light of what happened, I wouldn't treat my fish with these medicines unless I have no other options. Maybe you should search online for information about betta fish fin rot and fin melt, there is also an astounding amount of information in previous threads here in the forum.

Please, do notice!! I'm do not have enough experience or knowledge to give definite advice. Seriously, before deciding anything wait for more comments.

Good luck!
itamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:10 AM   #3 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Hiii! Fin rot is pretty easy to treat, pristine water will usually do it but you could also add 1tsp/g AQ salt for a couple of days (3-7 but for your boy a lesser dose for 3 days should be good enough)
If you're sure you WANT to use meds (you really don't have to) you have a lot of options including API General cure, any medicine that treats bacteria, pretty much any medicine they make for fish. The only thing I have to say about medicine is never use anything ending in -fix as it can (not necessarily will but can) damage the labyrinth (air breathing organ)
Once again you really don't need medicine though, Eddie looks like a generally healthy boy so I wouldn't worry too much, and Percy looks like my old boy ryuuji ^^ (before ryuuji went loco and tailbit)
Good job with them, keep it up!
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #4 
Holliex

Thank you both for your help. I don't like to use meds on my fish if I can help it so I will try pristine water first and see how we get on.

I know about the -fix problem, that's why I was asking. It's made me so nervous to use anything with my Bettas or my Dwarf Gourami!

Once again, thank you!x
Holliex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #5 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

No problem, AQ salt is safe for almost all fish as long as you don't exceed 14 days of use
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is online now   Reply With Quote