Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM   #1 
Johnboy33

well I bet no one has ever asked THIS question before!!!

so i bought a tank at the salvation army a few weeks ago and it has finally cycled. I noticed today that the some of the specs of dried paint on one side of the tank....are actually on the inside.....before i thought they were on the outside. they're small teenie tiny, ill post a pic in the comments, should i just scrape them out??? how can i get thepaint out with out crashing my cycle??...(DONT WORRY NO FISH IN THE TANK YET, I seeded it with gravel, plants, and filter media from an already cycled tank)

HELP!
Johnboy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM   #2 
Lettuce

your cycle shouldn't crash from cleaning the side of the tank. The bacteria should all be in the filter, or maybe some in the gravel.
Lettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM   #3 
Johnboy33

changing all the water wont mess with it even tho its so newly cycled?
Johnboy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM   #4 
Lettuce

oh, that could be a problem, i'm not sure, my tank refuses to cycle in the first place so I can't really give advice on what to do when you have one established
Lettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM   #5 
hrutan

That's okay. I bought a used tank that had fragments of dried marijuana embedded in the sealant...lol. Secondhand adventures!

I don't know if you need to clean that paint out. Conservatively, I'd say yes simply because you don't know what kind of paint it is, and it could be toxic.

Taking the filter out and doing a 100% water change shouldn't destroy the cycle, as long as you keep the filter wet. My suggestion is to get a bucket of the old tank water, stick the filter in it, and run it as usual while you clean the tank. If it's an HOB filter, you might need to use a big square piece of tupperware, instead. You'll probably get a mini-cycle from disturbing the bacteria in the substrate and scraping the walls clean, but the filter is where the majority of the beneficial bacteria lives, and I'd expect everything else to steady out in around a week, maybe a little less.
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote