Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM   #1 
Jose

Exclamation Please Help with Crowntail. Reoccurring Fin Fuzz

Hey Everyone,

I am completely new to bettafish.com (first thread). I need help greatly with my crowntail Redd. He is in a heated and filtered ten gallon. No ammonia, no nitrites, some nitrates and pH around 7.4-7.6. I have had him since March.

He is constantly getting this fuzz stuff on his rays. This has occurred like four or five times (honestly have lost count) in the last three months. The general trend is that he gets this stuff then I remove it and a week or two later he catches it again. I am so demoralized with this whole issue. I just can't keep him healthy and I am looking for help from more experienced betta lovers.

I figure I should tell the whole story so everyone knows what has happened.

So the first time he got this,

I believe he had gotten tangled up in some of the rougher plants I had in the tank. I immediately changed all of the plants in the tank with silk ones. So on the snagged rays he got the fuzz looking stuff on them. This looked like it occurs on the tip of the ray then moves on the ray a bit and that piece would fall off (I mean the part that was covered). Due to how quickly it was doing this I began treatment with seachem's kanaplex. This was a six day treatment, but it removed the fuzz.

After treatment I was doing water changes (50%) every two days as I think the cycle was damaged. I believe from changing plants and kanaplex is considered an antibiotic. I did this until he fins grew back (shorter ones from the pieces that have fallen off).

I then attempted to recycle his tank. I dosed with tetra safestart and within the week his tank was producing nitrates, but on the sixth day after the safestart dose he got this fuzz again.

This second time,

I wanted to go a softer on treatment and used aquarium salt and seachem's paraguard (broad spectrum treatment). The fuzz was gone on the second day of dosing, but I continued the treatment for a week.

Again I was doing water changes every two days while his fins grew back as the same thing from the first time occurred where fins with this fuzz, that piece would fall off.

Like a week later I come home from the university early and I noticed he contracted it again. He was also suffering from constipation as well.

This third time,

I went with paraguard again and aquarium salt, but it wasn't helping. I gave it a week, but I ended up going back to kanaplex. The constipation issue I think came about from the pellets I was giving him. He got constipated like twice within this time frame once where he only was given just pellets (at one point one a day). He no longer has this constipation issue and the kanaplex removed the last piece of fuzz from him on that last day of treatment.

Hope you all are still with me, again I am sorry for this being so long.

Now to the more recent,
Since that last time I added media from a cycled twenty gallon which has live bearers and dosed with safestart. I also am feeding him twice a day (one or two pieces of omega one flakes) as opposed to the one larger feeding (two pieces of flakes with one or two pellets).

He was doing awesome (active, colorful,always swimming except when sleeping) for a week till yesterday I woke up to him having these white hair looking coatings on his rays. I immediately started looking at the items in his tank, because this is just reoccurring. I knew his betta log hasn't been floating for a while so I removed it and I noticed the paint was coming off, so I removed it.

I also noticed the water surface yesterday morning looked dirty, like a bunch of pieces of stuff just on the surface. Not sure how to explain it, it looked looked like pieces of clear flakes. So I thought maybe his filter isn't circulating his water and just putting all the little things back in the water as opposed to capturing them. So I removed some of the foam pieces in the filter (hang on the back filter) because I think it was restricting the filter. I had these pieces to help slow the current down or otherwise it would be too strong for him.

I did a water change (30%) and began with the paraguard again.

Now this morning at feeding time I noticed he had like four or five of his rays with this white hair looking coating. I am just so demoralized with all of this.

I think I am going to move him out of this tank into another ten gallon I have with another heater and filter I have.

I just don't know what to do anymore, maybe he just has something in his tank that just keeps coming back. I am thinking of getting media from my twenty gallon again and dosing with safestart. I just set it up but my heater isn't calibrated correctly so I have to wait till the temperature stabilizes so I can calibrate before I move him. So probably tomorrow if I do move him.

So I just dosed him with the second day of paraguard and began looking for help here.

Like I said earlier I just don't know what to do anymore to help.

Any help or advice I would greatly appreciate, I just want him to get better and to be healthy I just don't know what to do anymore.

One last thing I think I should mention.
The stuff he has right now looks a little different then the instances before. Before it looked like a greyish cottony stuff (like a patch of grey-white stuff).

Right now this stuff looks like white hair like coating. It is not as thick as the cottony stuff from earlier times. It is actually quite hard to see, you have to really be looking for it otherwise you don't see it.

Again I thank you all for taking the time to read my thread, and I thank you for any post with literally any ideas. I kinda at a lost right now with what to do.

Thank you!
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM   #2 
Tree

I read through the whole thing. =) I'm sorry you and your boy is going through all of this. The only time I had fungus on the tail was with my double tail, but he was on the verge of death from a tumor that was killing him slowly.

Do you have a small tank to put him in for quarantine? with just a heater. I cannot remember if you need a filter with the fungus cure or not. I would try using Fungus cure for him. the salt might be causing him to be bloated as well.

here's the info about the fungus cure: http://www.amazon.com/API-Fungus-Cur.../dp/B001OIQE5C

I hope more people help out, I only know so much. ^^;
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM   #3 
Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
I read through the whole thing. =) I'm sorry you and your boy is going through all of this. The only time I had fungus on the tail was with my double tail, but he was on the verge of death from a tumor that was killing him slowly.

Do you have a small tank to put him in for quarantine? with just a heater. I cannot remember if you need a filter with the fungus cure or not. I would try using Fungus cure for him. the salt might be causing him to be bloated as well.

here's the info about the fungus cure: http://www.amazon.com/API-Fungus-Cur.../dp/B001OIQE5C

I hope more people help out, I only know so much. ^^;
Thank you so much for reading about my little guy!

I was actually about to buy fungus cure at the store earlier when I bought some gravel for that extra ten gallon I have.

Unfortunately that ten gallon is the only other tank I have.

My thinking at the moment. After I calibrate my heater tomorrow I plan to move him there and basically just break down the tank he is in at the moment. I really don't know what else to do except put him in water with no previous illnesses or anything.

I also thought of that as well (referring to the aquarium salt). I only added it when treating him and removed it after treatment was done (with water changes). You may be right though, I have not added aquarium salt since the last day of the previous treatment with the kanaplex.

I again thank you for posting!
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM   #4 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Thank you so much for reading about my little guy!

I was actually about to buy fungus cure at the store earlier when I bought some gravel for that extra ten gallon I have.

Unfortunately that ten gallon is the only other tank I have.

My thinking at the moment. After I calibrate my heater tomorrow I plan to move him there and basically just break down the tank he is in at the moment. I really don't know what else to do except put him in water with no previous illnesses or anything.

I also thought of that as well (referring to the aquarium salt). I only added it when treating him and removed it after treatment was done (with water changes). You may be right though, I have not added aquarium salt since the last day of the previous treatment with the kanaplex.

I again thank you for posting!

You're very much welcome. <3 and welcome to the forum!

you can get small tanks for dirt cheap if you want to keep it just for a hospital tank. I have a 3 gallon tank for a hospital tank with nothing but a heater and a plant. no gravel to make sure his poops are normal.

Otherwise, you might wanna clean the crap out of your tank, maybe there is something growing in there that keeps effecting your betta.
I have a CT and he tends to get his tail caught in stuff and it rips off. Is your boy biting his fins to cause any infections?
Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM   #5 
Jose

Quote:
You're very much welcome. <3 and welcome to the forum!

you can get small tanks for dirt cheap if you want to keep it just for a hospital tank. I have a 3 gallon tank for a hospital tank with nothing but a heater and a plant. no gravel to make sure his poops are normal.

Otherwise, you might wanna clean the crap out of your tank, maybe there is something growing in there that keeps effecting your betta.
I have a CT and he tends to get his tail caught in stuff and it rips off. Is your boy biting his fins to cause any infections?
I have thought about getting a small tank for use as a quarantine tank, but I really didn't know of a good way for calculating the right amounts of medications for the smaller volumes.

For instance, the fungus cure say one packet for ten gallons. I am not really sure about figuring out the correct amount for say a three gallon. The same with the paraguard as it is one cap full for ten gallons (kanaplex is one scoop for each five gallons). Most medications I have encountered really don't have measurement lines where you can figure out the correct amount for smaller volumes.

I think his poops are normal. I am not really sure since it is rare I seen him actually produce waste. When he was having constipation issues I knew he was pooping because I would find a large brown ball (one time I found two small snail shells in this ball) after I noticed his belly was small again.

Yeah, that tank he is in, I plan to thoroughly clean it as I was thinking that exact same thing that maybe something is growing in there, and perhaps I knock it back but after a while it just comes back.

I have never myself seen him biting his fins (not to say that he doesn't). I was thinking that at one point, maybe the pieces of fin that fell off (where the fuzz was), maybe he actually bit them off, but one time I actually saw one fin attached to him still but it wasn't connected to the rest of the fin. It was actually connected to another fin that had the fuzz as well. So the fuzz was actually holding it still to him.

I have found some of the fins that have fallen off, but most of them I couldn't find. I wasn't ever really sure whether he would bite them and eat them or maybe they just got embedded in the gravel during the water changes.

I again thank you for your response.
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM   #6 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
I have thought about getting a small tank for use as a quarantine tank, but I really didn't know of a good way for calculating the right amounts of medications for the smaller volumes.

For instance, the fungus cure say one packet for ten gallons. I am not really sure about figuring out the correct amount for say a three gallon. The same with the paraguard as it is one cap full for ten gallons (kanaplex is one scoop for each five gallons). Most medications I have encountered really don't have measurement lines where you can figure out the correct amount for smaller volumes.

I think his poops are normal. I am not really sure since it is rare I seen him actually produce waste. When he was having constipation issues I knew he was pooping because I would find a large brown ball (one time I found two small snail shells in this ball) after I noticed his belly was small again.

Yeah, that tank he is in, I plan to thoroughly clean it as I was thinking that exact same thing that maybe something is growing in there, and perhaps I knock it back but after a while it just comes back.

I have never myself seen him biting his fins (not to say that he doesn't). I was thinking that at one point, maybe the pieces of fin that fell off (where the fuzz was), maybe he actually bit them off, but one time I actually saw one fin attached to him still but it wasn't connected to the rest of the fin. It was actually connected to another fin that had the fuzz as well. So the fuzz was actually holding it still to him.

I have found some of the fins that have fallen off, but most of them I couldn't find. I wasn't ever really sure whether he would bite them and eat them or maybe they just got embedded in the gravel during the water changes.

I again thank you for your response.

Very true about the amount to add the meds in. better to have a ten gallon and just to add the whole medicine in the tank. =)

I hope he feels better. <3 and I wish you the best of luck!
Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM   #7 
Jose

Quote:
Very true about the amount to add the meds in. better to have a ten gallon and just to add the whole medicine in the tank. =)

I hope he feels better. <3 and I wish you the best of luck!
Thank you so much for replying so quickly!

I hope he gets better too. Redd and I have fought this stuff already several times. I feel we have to beat it.

I plan to keep updates on his condition. I will try to get a picture of him tomorrow.

I again thank you!

Tags
bacterial infection, cotton fin fungus, fin rot, fungal disease, fuzz