Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #1011 
ktmrox11

I just got a baby betta at Petco, now I feel bad because I'm fairly new to betta owning and I didn't think they would be so much different from adults. Anyways, Cleo (the baby betta) is doing quite well, I think. She eats crushed betta pellets, should I get her anything else to eat. By looking at several fry growth charts, I'm estimating she is about 6 weeks. She really likes her 2.5 gallon tank and swims all around constantly. I can't decide if you would consider her colorless- she looks dark from far away but close up, you can see hues of blues, reds, and even purples. how can I tell if she is healthy?
ktmrox11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #1012 
justmel

If she swims and eats well then she is likely healthy! Can you share a picture?

We all started somewhere, so don't feel bad, you are at least trying to do your best for your baby. Don't be surprised if she turns into a he on you though. At such a young age it's hard to tell what sex they are.

What kind of pellets are you feeding her? You could offer some frozen treats like brine shrimp if she's big enough to eat them.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #1013 
ktmrox11

They are Aqueon Betta food pellets, 40% crude protein. She eats when she wants to and when she sees food. Is it bad to offer freeze dried blood worms? I have some, I doubt my mom would go for live or even frozen. I would share a picture, but I can't figure out how...
Old 05-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #1014 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrox11 View Post
They are Aqueon Betta food pellets, 40% crude protein. She eats when she wants to and when she sees food. Is it bad to offer freeze dried blood worms? I have some, I doubt my mom would go for live or even frozen. I would share a picture, but I can't figure out how...
Yeah freeze-dried anything is bad, only can be fed as a treat though. It's high in protein but Betta's need other things too. Freeze-dried anything will also promote constipation if fed too much :)

And for pictures you can click "Go Advanced" and at the bottom is says Upload Picture or something like that, click it. Browse your folders to find a picture and upload it. Close out of the pop up window and sumbit your reply.

Or you can use Flickr/Photobucket and there should be an IMG Coding, click on that and you can paste it right into the text box here.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #1015 
ktmrox11

Okay, here are some pics. Sorry if they're really bad quality. She swims around a lot and it's hard to catch her.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #1016 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Okay, here are some pics. Sorry if they're really bad quality. She swims around a lot and it's hard to catch her.
So cute!! And yup, definitely a she :D Oh and you won't know her color until she's about 2, 2.5 months old when they stop changing colors (Unless they are a marble) looks like you'll have an indigo girl with some red wash in the fins though, possibly a CT but most likely a VT with some extended rays :)
Old 05-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #1017 
ktmrox11

Yay! I was hoping for a purple ish Betta! So, do you think she overall looks pretty healthy?
Old 05-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #1018 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah! She looks great! Nice full tummy and all :D
Old 05-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #1019 
ktmrox11

Oh good, I'm glad I'm doing something right. So, I break up her pellets and feed two or three of them to her once in morning, once at night (she only ends up eating a little of what I put out) but then she seems still hungry. I don't want to overfeed her but I also want to make sure she gets enough to eat.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #1020 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Oh good, I'm glad I'm doing something right. So, I break up her pellets and feed two or three of them to her once in morning, once at night (she only ends up eating a little of what I put out) but then she seems still hungry. I don't want to overfeed her but I also want to make sure she gets enough to eat.
You could actually feed her about 3-5 times a day on a small amount. Just like human babies, they need food more frequently than normal aged Betta's. I found out that I was underfeeding my babies too and once I started to feed them properly they perked up and started to grow like crazy! :D

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta