Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #1041 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krys View Post
i'm thinking of grabbing a baby next week when i go hit up petco and petsmart for some community fish for Cap's tank.

I have a spare 5g tank that would be nice for a baby. Plus, I like the mystery of baby bettas. They're like grab bag bettas. You don't know what you're getting, but you're getting something. lol
Hehe, yeah its really awesome to see them grow and get color. I'll be getting another one as soon as my new 10g divided tank is done cycling :D Can't wait! I just got two new rescues and they're in my spare tanks, otherwise I'd get the baby today!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #1042 
TexasRose

Hi, I am new to this site and I hope I can get some help. My son went to a party where baby betas were given to the 6 year olds as thank you gifts. My mouth dropped when my husband gave the betta to me. I bought a 2.5 gallon tank, water conditioner food and fake plants. I don't know when my fish ate last or anything about fish. I went in panic mode when I discovered the betta food I bought was to big for my betta to eat. Went out and bought new food for "Lizzy" to eat. I have seen so many different eating schedules that I don't know what to do. I went to buy a heater and the petsmart rep said that I don't need a heater. I will try to post pics of Lizzy but please let me know how offer to feed her, and if I need a water heater. I keep checking on her every couple of hours, always afraid I might loose her. Thank you.
Attached Images

TexasRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #1043 
Mashiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRose View Post
Hi, I am new to this site and I hope I can get some help. My son went to a party where baby betas were given to the 6 year olds as thank you gifts. My mouth dropped when my husband gave the betta to me. I bought a 2.5 gallon tank, water conditioner food and fake plants. I don't know when my fish ate last or anything about fish. I went in panic mode when I discovered the betta food I bought was to big for my betta to eat. Went out and bought new food for "Lizzy" to eat. I have seen so many different eating schedules that I don't know what to do. I went to buy a heater and the petsmart rep said that I don't need a heater. I will try to post pics of Lizzy but please let me know how offer to feed her, and if I need a water heater. I keep checking on her every couple of hours, always afraid I might loose her. Thank you.

First of all, welcome to the site, second of all, that's awful that they just gave out baby bettas to unsuspecting people! Baby bettas require lots of extra water changes and a good diet of protien rich food to not stunt their growth. And absolutely 100% they need a heater. 2.5 gallons is perfect for a single betta and you'd need about a 7.5 watt heater for it. They're not that hard to find online. A good brand of food to feed your baby is New Life Spectrum Growth Flormula, these pellets are very tiny and will fit your baby's mouth nicely. When he/she gets bigger, I recommend switching to New Life Spectrum Betta Forumla. Perfect for adult bettas. Just keep up around 30% water changes every 3 days or so until he/she's big and fat and you'll have a healthy adult betta!

Thanks for joining and looking out for your fishie!
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #1044 
TexasRose

Thank you so much. How often should I feed her? Petsmart said every two says, and I see some people feed thei betas everyday two times a day. I already set my calendar alerts to change the water every three days. Thanks again.
TexasRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #1045 
Lights106

Quote:
Thank you so much. How often should I feed her? Petsmart said every two says, and I see some people feed thei betas everyday two times a day. I already set my calendar alerts to change the water every three days. Thanks again.
Ack!!! No! They need to be fed 3-5 a day!! They are like a growing kid. They need food.
Lights106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #1046 
ktmrox11

Anything else?

I keep my baby Betta in a 2.5 gallon tank all by herself and feed her several times a day with crushed Aqueon Betta food pellets. I keep her tank at a comfy 81 degrees. She eats well and has a very rounded belly, she also explores her tank a lot and swims to the front when she sees me. Is there anything else I can do to keep her healthy? I just want to make sure I'm doing what's best for her. I'm guessing she is about 7 weeks old and a female.
ktmrox11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #1047 
Lights106

At 7 weeks old they can be anything. Boy or girl. My first baby I got at 6 weeks had a little white egg spot till just recently. My second baby is t ahowing any signs of knowing what he/she is.
Sounds like you are going great though
Old 06-03-2013, 01:34 AM   #1048 
Viva

Quote:
Baby bettas need to be fed protein rich foods at least 4 - 5 times a day. Try to crush the pellets if she won't eat it or if it's too big. Once they're an adult, they should be fed 3 - 4 pellets twice daily. Basically don't believe anything the pet stores tell you.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #1049 
amzingaly

Uhh oh! everyones baby bettas are so cute its making me want to get one . The next time I find one I might end up bringing it home.
amzingaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #1050 
Lights106

Quote:
Originally Posted by amzingaly View Post
Uhh oh! everyones baby bettas are so cute its making me want to get one . The next time I find one I might end up bringing it home.
If you do make sure you only want one. . . it's rather addicting. My baby's are being soooo freaking adorable! I want more!

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta