Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #1061 
Saphira101

How much hope would there be for a baby in a cup with such high ammonia levels that the little thing was caused to have a bent spine?
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #1062 
Shadyr

JamieL, it's way early to tell, but the body shape kinda says "girl" to me!

I've noticed that the ventrals on my baby are already as long as those on my adult girls, so I'm suspecting mine is a boy. Was kinda hoping more for a girl so she could be part of my sorority, but I have a plan for either outcome

Ammonia might cause many issues, but I don't think a bent spine is one. The cynical part of me suspects half these babies are fish that might normally be culled, but they give them a chance by selling them as babies. I imagine as long as the fish can swim normally and doesn't appear to have any other issues, it would be fine, Saphira. Just would not make a good breeding fish, but would no doubt be a good pet.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #1063 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphira101 View Post
How much hope would there be for a baby in a cup with such high ammonia levels that the little thing was caused to have a bent spine?
One of my baby's also has a bent spine which contributes to his swim bladder issue but once he's full of food he's got no problem swimming anywhere he pleases! So I'd say as long as the tank is kept clean with the cleaning every 3 days or so and food every 3-4 hours, he should be just fine!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #1064 
TexasRose

Lizzy update, Thanks for help!

Hi, everyone.
Since my last post I bought a cobalt 10 watt heater, ordered an azoo filter because the filter that came with my 2.5 gallon tank gives Lizzy trouble. The guy at the aquarium store suggested that I use ozarka spring water since I have a small tank. Anyone else using spring water?
Also, with the light on the water temp reads 81 degrees, at night when I turn off the light it drops to 78-79 should I still use the heater? Does anyone add aquarium salt for bacteria? Lizzy is starting to show some color, can't wait to see what she will look like and if she is really a girl. Here is a picture.
Attached Images

TexasRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #1065 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRose View Post
Hi, everyone.
Since my last post I bought a cobalt 10 watt heater, ordered an azoo filter because the filter that came with my 2.5 gallon tank gives Lizzy trouble. The guy at the aquarium store suggested that I use ozarka spring water since I have a small tank. Anyone else using spring water?
Also, with the light on the water temp reads 81 degrees, at night when I turn off the light it drops to 78-79 should I still use the heater? Does anyone add aquarium salt for bacteria? Lizzy is starting to show some color, can't wait to see what she will look like and if she is really a girl. Here is a picture.
Whatever you do, do not at AQ salt, especially for long term use. It can be used for medication but not for long term with Betta's. It will basically cause a liver and/or kidney failure and it's pretty much a death sentence. But can be used for medication up to 14 days safely.

You can use spring water (still use conditioner though) but it could get expensive after a while. Is there anything wrong with your tap water?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #1066 
TexasRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Whatever you do, do not at AQ salt, especially for long term use. It can be used for medication but not for long term with Betta's. It will basically cause a liver and/or kidney failure and it's pretty much a death sentence. But can be used for medication up to 14 days safely.

You can use spring water (still use conditioner though) but it could get expensive after a while. Is there anything wrong with your tap water?
The water where I live is very hard. I have to use distilled water for my appliances that require water or clean out with vinegar after each use. Our water is very drying to our skin as well.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #1067 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRose View Post
The water where I live is very hard. I have to use distilled water for my appliances that require water or clean out with vinegar after each use. Our water is very drying to our skin as well.
Okay, well distilled water isn't great either. It lacks all the minerals Betta's need, just like we need, from water. I would suggest either mixing it with spring water or tap water then to get the minerals.

Betta's can acclimate to nearly any chemistry to water, the only thing that might happen is some fin curling in hard water, but otherwise they're completely fine to live in it.

EDIT: AQ salt is good for killing off external bacteria but Baby betta's are sensitive anyway and it shouldn't be used as a preventative. The best thing you can do for a preventative is keep the water clean, change it every other day at least 50% so that the growth isn't stunted.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #1068 
TexasRose

Thank you. I thought about mixing the spring with tap. That is what I will do.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #1069 
Lights106

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Cute baby! and yes it is a Double tail, that's all. You won't know color until it grows up. I might be mistaken, I think I see the triangular ovaries behind it's stomach, also the anal fin looks very square and what I can see of the ventrals, they seem short. So I'm voting female :) As far as feeding, it's a good idea to smash up the pellets if you can to make it smaller so the baby can actually eat them. I feed mine 3-5 times a day since they are growing after all :D
Lilnaugrim, would you be able to help me figure out Baby Sr's gender? S/he is 9 weeks and I do see a white egg spot but I know that's not a for sure thing here is a link, but in case it doesn't work (I'm mobile) I have several pics in my albums.

http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?a...ictureid=59882
Lights106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #1070 
ktmrox11

At what age do Bettas stop secreting the growth stunting hormone?
ktmrox11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta