Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #1081 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRose View Post
Congrats! I'm glad your betta loves her new space. I wish now that I bought a 5 gallon. When mine grows I will be afraid to change tanks. Ill have to learn about transferring healthy bacteria.

You just take out the sponges in a filter that already has the bacteria in it, then just follow the instructions on starting the new Nitrogen cycle normally. The bacteria will make the cycle start up much faster than if you were starting from scratch. It will cut the time to about 2 - 4 weeks as opposed to 4 - 6 weeks.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #1082 
TexasRose

Thank you, Viva.
TexasRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #1083 
JamieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
I think they are both female but only time will tell!

@JamieL:

I put my first baby betta in a 5.5 gallon, filtered tank by herself and she did fine! She LOVED it! She zipped around that tank so fast you could barely see her! When I divided it to make room for another baby betta she definitely missed having the whole tank to herself! A good thing to put over EVERY filter intake is a pre-filter sponge (Fluval makes some). They are very cheap, they help to house your beneficial bacteria in your filter, they baffle the filter so the outflow isn't is as strong and they also prevent any long, flowing fins from getting sucked in and torn (or little fishies from getting sucked in)! It is possibly the best investment I've made to my tanks because I also have peat moss balls in each tank which when you squeeze them some brown peat comes out and the pre-filter sponge sucks it all in and makes the flow a lot less to almost non-existant. As long as there is even a very small drip coming out of the filter then it's fine.
Thanks! (And thanks to the other poster who answered!). That's my biggest fear, him getting stuck to the intake. There's a horrid pet store by my house that has tanks with dozens of dead little fish stuck to the intakes in their tanks. It's horrible.

I was just in petsmart looking for the sponge you mentioned and an employee came over, I told him what I wanted and he said to only thing I could do was put this mesh bag over it...then I found the fluval ones you mentioned. So i went over and showed him because I'm obnoxious . I got a moss ball too while I was there. :). Gonna set it up and move Bubblefishy to his new home.
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #1084 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRose View Post
Thank you, Viva.
You're welcome Rose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieL View Post
Thanks! (And thanks to the other poster who answered!). That's my biggest fear, him getting stuck to the intake. There's a horrid pet store by my house that has tanks with dozens of dead little fish stuck to the intakes in their tanks. It's horrible.

I was just in petsmart looking for the sponge you mentioned and an employee came over, I told him what I wanted and he said to only thing I could do was put this mesh bag over it...then I found the fluval ones you mentioned. So i went over and showed him because I'm obnoxious . I got a moss ball too while I was there. :). Gonna set it up and move Bubblefishy to his new home.
Hahahahahaha, nice job! It's always nice to prove those petstore workers wrong =P You will love the pre-filter sponges. The moss balls are great too! The peat moss balls I got from a seller in the UK, they supposedly help lower PH and make the water softer. Peat is supposed to lower PH I guess but I haven't seen too much of a difference.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #1085 
JamieL

Transferred him to the 5.5, he's doing great. I used the second sponge to slow the flow coming out, and he seems like he's actually playing in the little current! He keeps swimming back over to it and swimming into it on purpose. I think he's a feisty little guy. I can't believe how much bigger he looks in just 3 days!
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #1086 
carbonxxkidd

Has anyone ever gotten a dragon baby?? I'm pretty sure one of the double tails I got a couple weeks ago is a dragon...at first I thought it might be velvet but it's definitely just some really shiny scales! I can't seem to get a good pic, but I am so excited!!!!
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #1087 
amzingaly

Alright guys I'm convinced! All of your babies are so adorable I just have to have one of my own! I set up a tank for it today and I'll be picking one up on monday :). I'm sure someone posted this already but what exactly should I feed the little guy?
amzingaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #1088 
Viva

You have to feed crushed pellets or pick up some New Life Spectrum Grow pellets. Also feed them frozen bloodworms at least once a day...babies need protein to grow. Feed them every 3 hours and they will grow like a weed! At first my baby would only eat live microworms, then I switched to frozen bloodworms and now she is eating only pellets.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #1089 
Rana

You can also feed crushed flakes, if they're high quality. My baby hates NLS pellets but will eat Omega flakes readily enough. :3
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #1090 
kvw1988

Okay so I just got one of the babies, I figured for $2 why not? They had three at the store, one was dead, another I'm not sure about and then my little guy, or girl. I don't have very high hopes for it because it is missing part of its anal fin, and it's spine is crooked there. Doesn't look like it has fin rot, just like it never had a tail there. But other than that it seems pretty healthy, very active, it even started to change color when I put it in it's new home from a dull grey (I thought that's how they looked at that age) to some blue showing through.
kvw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta