Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #101 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misakitty View Post
This may be a silly question, but how early do juvenile bettas typically start to flare? Is it different for males and females? I've only raised livebearer fry before, so this is all new to me.
Actually it isnt a silly question at all. Many betta keepers dont know this.

I am only stating from experience with my fry. Usually I sart to get some bully boys and girs at around 2 months. Though they are still mildly developing their aggression. At about 4 months old, I find myself jarring at least 10-12. Remember these arent flares yet. I notice juvenile fry to start actually opening their gill cover and flaring at around 3-6 months.

No this isnt the same amount of time for every breeder so thats the tricky part. Though this is from my personal experience. Also I usually bred halfmoon plakats and plakats before ao their aggression levels were a bit higher than most.

I would guess that it varies wih females and males. Mostly shown in the males than females. Now if i had to guess and she was in fact a female, I would guess that she is going to be willing to flare in another two weeks to a month. Though some juveniles have been known to flare early with plakats I dont know much if its the same with veil tails or what other tail type you have. Who knows she might even flare at a mirror. Try putting a small mirror in front of her and see if she flares back.

Good luck let us know.
Posted via Mobile Device
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #102 
Sakura8

Registered, depends on the tank size. If it's filtered and 5g or over, cycling it will help with the ammonia. Otherwise, water changes are the way. If it's an emergency and the ammonia spiked suddenly for no apparent reason, you can use a double dose of Prime (dosing instructions on bottle) or Kordon Amquel.

Since they're having the $1/gallon sale, the end cap was full of tanks.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #103 
Misakitty

Thanks for the info, bettalover! She got pretty aggressive the other day when I was late feeding her, and I was sad because my cute Sasha was suddenly mean like all the others . I'm seeing some new red on her pelvic fins today, so I'm pretty excited.
Misakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #104 
bettalover2033

Heh. Well thats what makes a bettas. I would be excited as well. If you see red on pelvic fins then she may have some red wash in her.

Im glad she is doing fine. I would rather my females flare than to be scared of everything and dart away.

It is pretty exciting to see aomw colors come in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #105 
Magikarp

Hey guys, got a question. I bought a baby betta about a month or so ago and he's/she's doing amazing. However, I noticed today that his/her tail fins are more clamped than usual. Still eats like a pig and swims around exploring the ten gallon tank. Is this unusual?
Magikarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #106 
bettalover2033

@magikarp: Actually yes this is a bit unusual. Can you give us more information. Water temperature, appearance, bloat, ect?

Does it have any white spots on it? Whats the water temp? Is it "scratching" against plants gravel? Ect.

If you post a video or show a picture we might be able to help.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #107 
alysalouise

Well i was in my petco last week and they didnt have babies i think they just got them for the first time this week. Cause one of the employyees said their new. But any way they only had one. So i snatched it up. By time we made it home and was beng floated in nice warm water it didnt look.like it was even going to make it. But i checked on it a little while later and its swimming all over. I decided for now ill.just keep it in a jar floating in one of my tanks for warmth. And im ordering a half pound of decap eggs tonight so hopefully we can get it back on track for a healthy developement. He sure is cute.
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:29 AM   #108 
bettalover2033

Sounds great!! I hope hes okay. I'm going to have to check petco soon because I havent been to one in a while. I dont know if ill support the whole baby betta thing by buying one, but will look.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2012, 12:33 AM   #109 
Magikarp

I can get a good picture tomorrow.

The water temperature stays at a constant 80-81f. No white spots, in fact he looks a bit darker than usual (could be my imagination. Room is dark).

I just checked up on him and found him on the gravel laying there (never seen him stay still before). But i mean, he was going to the bathroom so... lol. I may have overfed him today and the crushed pellets i fed him today were a littler larger than usual. His diet consists of frozen brine shrimp and crushed pellets. Could overfeeding him be the cause?

Edit: Here's the best i can get for now. His tail usually looks more like the shape of a delta tails and is much more spread out. However its been mostly clamped all day.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...ds/P__2560.jpg

Last edited by Magikarp; 01-12-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Magikarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #110 
gossipgirl1031

Good colors-cute baby! Mine are really starting to color up now & finally are getting big :)
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta