Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #1101 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Babies can eat every 3-4 hours so 3x a day is fine but you may want to go up to 4 or even 5 small meals. Only put in what they will consume in about a minute or so and take the rest out if you can
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #1102 
JamieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Babies can eat every 3-4 hours so 3x a day is fine but you may want to go up to 4 or even 5 small meals. Only put in what they will consume in about a minute or so and take the rest out if you can
Thanks, I definitely will, sometimes I notice he looks hungry between feedings, I see him picking around at the bottom like he's looking for food, or when I come up he floats in the spot I always drop the food and stares me down, lol. The woman at petco said they feed them every other day, so it's probably better to work up to more frequent feedings that way anyway.
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #1103 
amzingaly

My baby is home and zooming around the tank! I decided to name it Avery
Attached Images

amzingaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #1104 
JamieL

I just did a water change and the little bugger was chasing after the siphon and my hands! I had to have a second person keep an eye out to make sure I didn't suck him up. Whoa!!! I guess he's feeling good.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #1105 
kvw1988

When do you start getting them on an adult feeding schedule?
kvw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #1106 
beachbunny

Hi everyone! I thought I'd come here with a concern rather than making a new board. I have a new baby betta from petco. He is currently in a 1 gallon tank with a heater and now with one of those amazon plants that I read was recommended here. I have changed his water every other day and fed him 4 times a day.

I feel a little worried because he started flaring today and he's so active he's constantly flaring. When I put food in he flares at it, when he sees a bubble he flares at it. I'm getting scared he will get overworked or maybe he's getting stressed out? Is there something I should do or is this something normal for a baby? I think he's around 8 weeks old.

Last edited by beachbunny; 06-10-2013 at 09:03 PM.
beachbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #1107 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbunny View Post
Hi everyone! I thought I'd come here with a concern rather than making a new board. I have a new baby betta from petco. He is currently in a 1 gallon tank with a heater and now with one of those amazon plants that I read was recommended here. I have changed his water every other day and fed him 4 times a day.

I feel a little worried because he started flaring today and he's so active he's constantly flaring. When I put food in he flares at it, when he sees a bubble he flares at it. I'm getting scared he will get overworked or maybe he's getting stressed out? Is there something I should do or is this something normal for a baby? I think he's around 8 weeks old.
No, flaring is good! He's getting his exercise in! If you're really worried, keep the lights off so he doesn't see his reflection or anything and he should be fine.

@kvw1988, when they are adults! Lol. Around 2.5-3 months old they should be able to start taking regular pellets, you'll see them lose their baby bellies when they start to mature. For males, if he makes a bubble nest that's a sign of maturity so that's a good marker.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #1108 
kvw1988

ok thanks :) just to give ya an update, she's (pretty sure its a girl, I think I see an egg spot) grown quite a bit, just needed a little tlc, and she's darkening up to a pretty steele blue color. And a ton of energy!
kvw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #1109 
Viva

These babies are so cute! Should I be worried about my baby Spark? I got her in the beginning of January 2013 and she was the smallest baby there. She is still very small...about half the size of my other full-grown baby female named Prize I got in December 2012. Spark has a big belly too, unlike Prize. She used to go around eating small pond snails that were in her tank when she was even smaller so I'm worried maybe she ate some shells that are still undigested from months ago? Should I be worried or just assume she is a "runt" and just has a big belly still?
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #1110 
JamieL

my baby started flaring!
Attached Images

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta