Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #1111 
Shadyr

T+10 days

Not much change in size - in the Day 10 picture you can see the thermometer for scale. This one is still very tiny. I'm starting to lean toward "Boy" because of how the fins are already filling out - that's the one thing that has visibly grown a bit. And the colors are coming in nicely! This little critter is already so bright! My kids have named it "Magic" because they say that will work fine no matter if it's a boy or girl.

Day 1: Grey, stripey, skinny

Name:  baby-day1-1280.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  42.6 KB

Day 10: Still has baby stripes everywhere, but lots of change for the better!

Name:  baby-day10-1280.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  42.3 KB

Those Hikari mini pellets are *great* for this size. (S)He really gobbles them up.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #1112 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
T+10 days

Not much change in size - in the Day 10 picture you can see the thermometer for scale. This one is still very tiny. I'm starting to lean toward "Boy" because of how the fins are already filling out - that's the one thing that has visibly grown a bit. And the colors are coming in nicely! This little critter is already so bright! My kids have named it "Magic" because they say that will work fine no matter if it's a boy or girl.

Day 1: Grey, stripey, skinny

Attachment 148282

Day 10: Still has baby stripes everywhere, but lots of change for the better!

Attachment 148298

Those Hikari mini pellets are *great* for this size. (S)He really gobbles them up.
Oh wow! What a change! He's beautiful! yeah I'm going for boy as well, the ventral fins are nice and long and the anal fin is growing out longer than most females would be at this point. Beautiful!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #1113 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieL View Post
my baby started flaring!

Awwww so adorable! I remember the first time my baby Prize flared at me while I was trying to take a picture...I would've caught it on camera if I didn't freak out and squeal in delight lol!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #1114 
TexasRose

Help, please. Not sure if I'm being told the right way to treat my betta's water.

I went to a small local fish store to have Lizzy's water tested. Her PH balance was really high because the water where I live is really hard. The guy gave me some reverse osmosis water from rhe shop and suggested that I so a 50% change today, and a 20% water changes the next few times with the r/o water. He said not to add anything to the water at all, and we will check the water early next week.

I only had my baby betta for 12 days, so my tank has not cycled. I was using 1/4 spring water and 3/4 tap with conditioner and it still have a high ph.

Do you agree with the r/o recommendation?
TexasRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #1115 
Viva

Unless you have a reverse osmosis system for your aquarium, which are quite expensive, then you are never going to be able to lessen the hardness of your water because you'll need to do water changes. If your tap water is hard, most likely the PH will be high and it also means it's hard to get your PH down. The best you can do is to keep your PH stable. A betta can adjust to PH up to 8.0 or more, so unless your PH is much higher than that I wouldn't worry. It is more dangerous to play around with the PH of the water than to keep it stable at 8.0.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #1116 
TexasRose

Thank you!
TexasRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #1117 
lissienen

All these pictures of baby betta's are beyond adorable... I'm glad the nearest PetCo is over an hour away and that the petstore I manage doesn't sell babies because I would probably end up taking them all home so that they don't end up in bad homes simply because they are far, far too cute for that.

Shadyr - your baby is especially adorable!
lissienen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #1118 
Shadyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissienen View Post
All these pictures of baby betta's are beyond adorable... I'm glad the nearest PetCo is over an hour away and that the petstore I manage doesn't sell babies because I would probably end up taking them all home so that they don't end up in bad homes simply because they are far, far too cute for that.

Shadyr - your baby is especially adorable!
Thank you! Some of the babies I see are more like young adults, but this one was really a baby! I love how his (90% sure it's a boy already) colors blossomed - teal and blue and pink! Confident boys wear pink well. Already eats like the typical piggy grown up betta, just micro pellets instead of normal. And is learning the "Look at Me!" dance. And might be a jumper, he jumped at my hand this morning when I was feeding him! Today is the two week mark, so I'm fairly confident that unless disaster strikes, he's going to do *just fine.*

Also, just had to say - your avatar girl looks like the long lost twin of my Sorority girl Ice!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #1119 
beachbunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
No, flaring is good! He's getting his exercise in! If you're really worried, keep the lights off so he doesn't see his reflection or anything and he should be fine.

@kvw1988, when they are adults! Lol. Around 2.5-3 months old they should be able to start taking regular pellets, you'll see them lose their baby bellies when they start to mature. For males, if he makes a bubble nest that's a sign of maturity so that's a good marker.

That's a relief! :) Thank you so much for that advice I feel happy to see him flare now! I am started to get worried again though... I think he's only around 9/10 weeks old so I don't think he started to make bubble nests yet? But there are many tiny bubbles scattered over the surface, not in one area like the pictures I've seen of nests. I see him make bubbles with his mouth and they are just everywhere! Is anything wrong or is this normal behavior? Sorry I have so many concerns, since I found out babies die much more easily I am worried!
beachbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #1120 
JamieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbunny View Post
That's a relief! :) Thank you so much for that advice I feel happy to see him flare now! I am started to get worried again though... I think he's only around 9/10 weeks old so I don't think he started to make bubble nests yet? But there are many tiny bubbles scattered over the surface, not in one area like the pictures I've seen of nests. I see him make bubbles with his mouth and they are just everywhere! Is anything wrong or is this normal behavior? Sorry I have so many concerns, since I found out babies die much more easily I am worried!
Mine does this (the bubbles), my tank looks like that too. It seems like its just something they do, I've seen him make little bubbles that float up to the top, but they don't have any pattern/shape/reason like a bubble nest. I was curious about that too though.
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta