Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #1131 
resa

sorry only the second pic shows no stripes on her....I uploaded the wrong pic to be the first upload
resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #1132 
BlueBettaSplendensLover

My little guy is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinWill View Post
I've seen several threads regarding "Baby Betta" for sale at PetCo. I wanted to start this thread for all discussion about PetCo selling Baby Betta, pictures of your new fish or what you've seen at your local stores, and stories of our success and failures.

I am really not sure how I feel about Betta being sold so small. I know that in the hands of your average fish keeper most do not have a chance. Those that do survive to adulthood will probably spend the rest of their lives in cold water in the 1/4 gallon "tank" they have stocked with them in the display.

Regardless, after hearing about petco selling true "baby" betta, I had to go take a look. Sure enough, I saw no less then 30 colorless, unsexable almost-fry less then the size of my thumbnail, fins included.

I had no intention of actually buying one of these poor fish, but then I saw one that was slightly larger then the rest in the baby cups. This one had started to show a blue and red mix of color and was clearly a double tail. Sure enough I walked out of the store with a miniscule but potentially beautiful new fish at the low low cost of $1.99.

I brought him home on Saturday. He is in M1's old 1 gallon corner tank. My apartment is running at a cool 80 degrees and his tank is holding solid at a comfortable 78. If he makes it to be large enough, I will add him to the empty section of my divided 10 gallon. He currently eats crushed hikari and frozen bloodworms.

Not going to get too attached to his fragile little guy just yet, but my fingers are crossed.

Anyone else fall victim to this cuteness trap? Post your pictures and tell your stories.
Yep! I bought my first ever betta from Petco and he was a $1.99 betta baby. I knew he would turn out to be a beautiful male veil tail, and sure enough he did! I love him and since he grew up with me, he has been raised to know that I will not hurt him, and he actually swims to the front of his cage every time he sees me! I actually think he likes me! (Mainly because he knows I feed him) But not once has he ever puffed out his "beard" at me. He is a great little fella!
Attached Images

BlueBettaSplendensLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #1133 
beachbunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
It's kind of like when a kitten really wants to run around but then end up flopping around everywhere because they can't balance properly yet. Same idea, your babies a trying to figure out bubble nests but they haven't quite gotten it yet. With age they'll get better at it, provided that they are boys ^_^ girls will also blow bubbles sometimes but the nest doesn't get nearly as big or as properly constructed as boys's do.
Okay that is very good to know! Thank you! :D
beachbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #1134 
beachbunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieL View Post
Mine does this (the bubbles), my tank looks like that too. It seems like its just something they do, I've seen him make little bubbles that float up to the top, but they don't have any pattern/shape/reason like a bubble nest. I was curious about that too though.
It's nice that I'm not the only one experiencing this x) lilnaugrim said that it is normal though so no worries!
beachbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #1135 
scootshoot

My petco baby looked like a days old baby guppy when I got him. Months later he's turned into a veil tail male. At the time he was put in, he shared the 15 gallon with an array of ghost and cherry shrimp and a school of neons.

Now that he's grown up, he can easily fit a shrimp or two in his mouth but completely leaves them alone even if they happen to be swimming in front of his face. Am sure it's due to the fact he literally grew up with them when he was a mere pup so are used to their presence.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #1136 
resa

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh
resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #1137 
AltheaGlyndwr

So I went into Petco to get some flea meds and came out with a little guy. He's probably just over an inch long... maybe less... I can't quite tell. In any case he was bigger than most of the others and had the most amazing personality. Ever since I set his cup in his new tank and seems ready to go and get it. Super active and aware. Anyway here are some really bad picks I just took and wanted to share. Any advice would be great! Not my first betta, but my first this tiny. Not sure if it's a boy or a girl but I see faint blue and pinkish red sheens on his fins :D

He's obviously totally stressed out atm but hopefully he'll realize I'm taking care of him soon.
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #1138 
Shadyr

Stripes seem to be normal on babies. It took mine about a week to show color, I think it was the same size as yours, more or less. Tomorrow will be three weeks, and (s)he's quite colorful now.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #1139 
AltheaGlyndwr

I just found a ruler and measured what I want to assume now is a she and she was almost exactly and inch. I found a website with a chart (linked from this thread) and I believe that s(he) is between 6 and 7 weeks. I'm super excited! Isn't that when they are more likely to survive? I am so glad that I kept looking through this thread from the beginning. I only got to like page 18 but then I saw the chart and it was super cool. Cause its fins aren't completely colorless but they also aren't totally colored either. Def think that it will be some mixture of blue and red! :D It moves and acts just like my girl Mystique... minus that crown tail appearance that my older girl has. If it is a girl she'll be the second in line for the sorority I want to start sometime relatively soon.... probably by the end of the year I hope. :) <3 totally loving it.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:37 AM   #1140 
AltheaGlyndwr

OMG OMG! I just saw the cutest thing! So I've been trying to get my adults to flare ever since I moved and they just havent. But as a keepsake from my brothers wedding I was given a compact mirror. I had the brilliant idea to try that. It totally worked! Both of my adults gave me GIANT flares and then I decided to try the baby just to see... and it totally flared. So adorable. It doesn't even have a bear yet but it tried to be fierce~ That and I have an update on the color even though I just got it today. The top of its body seems ot be coming in blue with red on the vectril(?the two that stick out on the bottom) are almost entirely bright red now and all of its fins are colored with noticeable red hue. There is brown on its face and front back... So excited. I think s/he's getting sorta comfortable. :D

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta