Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2013, 02:09 AM   #1141 
AltheaGlyndwr

It wouldn't let me add my pictures to my last post... sorry for posting so many in a row but I'm excited and I got some really awesome pictures of color.

This is the difference that almost 6 hours of clean water, a place to "hide", plenty of good food, and a bigger living space has made. S/he's constantly swimming around exploring. S/he even tried to eat the bubbles that they made. Their bubbles are so tiny~
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #1142 
Viva

Awww he/she looks like a healthy baby! Congrats!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #1143 
AltheaGlyndwr

I'm so glad! So their belly is supposed to stay full/almost bulging constantly? when should that stop? (I don't know if it's too early but it almost looks like s/he has an egg spot like my girl... Is it possible? Just the one spot)
Old 06-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #1144 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltheaGlyndwr View Post
I'm so glad! So their belly is supposed to stay full/almost bulging constantly? when should that stop? (I don't know if it's too early but it almost looks like s/he has an egg spot like my girl... Is it possible? Just the one spot)
Many young males, even sometimes right after maturity retain a imitator egg spot/ovipositer. So it's not always reliable.

But based on the fins and body type I feel that it is a girl. They will have the "baby belly" which will look bulged, but as long as she is pooping regularly and it seems to lessen by the time next feeding comes, it should be alright. But generally feed 3 times a day, just a very small amount since they can't eat a lot at once, but over the course of the day they can eat a lot.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #1145 
Shadyr

Update on Magic - 3 weeks post-purchase.

I keep going back and forth, last week I thought the ventrals were too long for a girl, so it must be a boy, this week I think they look triangular(ish) like a girl.

I can barely see the stripes anymore. Other than size (Up to about 1.5 inches now), it's looking more like a small betta and less like a baby betta.

Name:  magic3w-1280.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  61.0 KB
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #1146 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
Update on Magic - 3 weeks post-purchase.

I keep going back and forth, last week I thought the ventrals were too long for a girl, so it must be a boy, this week I think they look triangular(ish) like a girl.

I can barely see the stripes anymore. Other than size (Up to about 1.5 inches now), it's looking more like a small betta and less like a baby betta.

Attachment 154338
If you gave us a side picture I could probably figure it out for you ^_^ also, shine a light behind her/him, if you see the triangular ovaries behind the stomach area when she swims in front of the light, it's a girl. If just the circular stomach, tis a boy ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #1147 
Shadyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
If you gave us a side picture I could probably figure it out for you ^_^ also, shine a light behind her/him, if you see the triangular ovaries behind the stomach area when she swims in front of the light, it's a girl. If just the circular stomach, tis a boy ^_^
I'll try that with the light. And believe me, I've tried to get a good side picture. Magic will come up to the top if there is something going on (probably hoping for food) but if I take the camera down for a side picture, it's off into the plants (s)he goes!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #1148 
AltheaGlyndwr

Thats cool! Thanks~ I'm really hoping that its a girl... then I will be able to include her in my planning a sorority. I'm really liking the red on all of her fins. So How much is a lot and how much is genrally enough? So far every time I feed her the belly gets bigger but then is more normal by the time shes totally begging for food again. I've been feeding her about 6ish of the really teeny tiny pellets Hikari Micro Pellets. I also just went to check what food exactly it was and saw a GIANTLY long terd on the bottom... So she's pooping :D Since bringing her home at about 6 yesterday (it's currently almost 130 pm so almost 24 hours) I've fed her three times. Everything seems alright though. She seems more than okay with everything. She even seems to be getting comfortable with me being around. She comes up to see me and is starting to follow my finger because it generally leads her to food. Can they trust you that quickly?
Old 06-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #1149 
Shadyr

You've given a bigger better home and multiple instances of food, what's not to trust?
Old 06-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #1150 
AltheaGlyndwr

:D Very true! Good. Makes me feel awesome inside to know that the baby is already appreciating me.

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta