Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #1171 
Mar

I'm no expert, but id suggest the regular things? Bright clear eyes, healthy fins, and an active Betta that responds to outside stimulus. Also if your pet store knows, ask about the age so you can act accordingly? Idk ;/
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #1172 
thisismydesign

Ok

For food are crushed NLS pellets good? Hikari baby fish food? Frozen bloodworms? I have all of those things.

I have a .5 gallon, a 1.7 gallon (or 2...I never found out) and a 2.5. I don't have a filter for him/her but they need water changes every day anyway, right? I was going to look all of this up, but got distracted with trying to save poor Will.

I don't have a job right now, but I'm trying to find one. I also have to dog sit for my grandparents for a week and will get paid for it. I should be able to get a 5 gallon as a permanent home for him/her and maybe a small filter and heater. I'll have to go through the site to see. If I don't have enough I still have the heat lamp as a back up.

Sorry I'm rambling. I think stuff out better when I write/type it down.
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #1173 
Mar

Since I don't have any live food on hand, I feed mine crushed pellets and flakes and the occasional frozen bloodworm/daphnia. dont expect the Betta to eat it right away. Its gonna be shy. Just leave it there and come back in 15 minutes. Remove uneaten food. If your Betta refuses to eat, you mayvhave to get live BBS. They should have a water change every other day I believe, but every day couldn't hurt!

Your plan sounds good! Keep us updated.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #1174 
thisismydesign

Hold the phone, there's a 5 gallon tank at walmart for $26, filter included, hood included, and a vast majority of the reviews are 5 stars. The filter is the same kind I have for my 10 too, easy to baffle.

I don't even HAVE to get it now. The baby can grow over the next few months and then I can get it when I start thinking he/she is getting too big for the 1.7 that way it can cycle without the fish in it.

Saves me a lot of money this way.
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #1175 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismydesign View Post
Hold the phone, there's a 5 gallon tank at walmart for $26, filter included, hood included, and a vast majority of the reviews are 5 stars. The filter is the same kind I have for my 10 too, easy to baffle.

I don't even HAVE to get it now. The baby can grow over the next few months and then I can get it when I start thinking he/she is getting too big for the 1.7 that way it can cycle without the fish in it.

Saves me a lot of money this way.
I would suggest getting it soon though. They aren't going to grow much at all in a 1.7-2 gallon tank. I had my babies (split) in a 3 gallon with water changes every other day and they barely grew over the month that I had them. Switched them to my 5.5 and they had obnoxious growth spurts! It's also going to be easier to care for the 5 gallon, so not right now but soon if you can get that it will be much easier for you and your little one.

They do excrete the growth stunting hormone and it will just effect him/her faster in a smaller tank, see?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #1176 
Mar

Yeah, switching my little baby to my 5 gallon. Just a question. For the 5 gallon, how often and by how much should I complete water changes?
Old 06-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #1177 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
Yeah, switching my little baby to my 5 gallon. Just a question. For the 5 gallon, how often and by how much should I complete water changes?
For babies? I still suggest doing at least a 50% every other day just so that it stays crystal clear for them, it's key in their development along with multiple feedings a day of course ^_^
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #1178 
Mar

Okay, thanks! I'll get on that. Already switched her to the 5gal.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #1179 
AltheaGlyndwr

Because of a string of recent accurances I am going to be getting a 10 gal tank today and doing a fish in cycle with my adult female (going to be extremely diligent on the water changes and chemistry level watching) and I was thinking of, until I get more females and QT them for a while, having a divider in for my baby betta to be in there too so it gets filtered water and more room and such. What I am really wondering though is if I should wait to put the baby in until after the cycle is finished or if I can ust watch really carefully and have them both in there while it's cycling (divided of course). I posted a thread asking but no one has answered and I'm thinking that asking this thread will be more efficiant and logical simply because it IS about babies... ? >.< Not trying to be impatient or anything I just like knowing what my plan is before I jump completely in.
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #1180 
Viva

My first baby grew up in a 5.5 gallon filtered tank, she grew like a weed. My second baby I kept in a 1.75 gallon Kritter Keeper and did the same water changes but her growth is stunted...she is still about half the size as my first baby. I did a 50% water change every day or every other day.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta