Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #1181 
Mar

Really interesting to see how tank size affected the growth of 2 different fish!
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #1182 
thisismydesign

This is Gill/Gilly (probably Gilly) I just got her and put her in her temporary home so she's a bit upset right now. When the stripes are gone her body is more purple and her fins a bit magenta with a slight shimmer.
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #1183 
thisismydesign

Gill(y) is doing well and swimming all over the place. His/her colors are even brighter now. He/she will be a lovely little fish.

Gave Gill(y) two crushed NLS pellets an hour apart and they were snapped up happily. He/she looks healthy, is alert, and is curious about the thermometer as well as me when I approach.

thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #1184 
Lights106

Ok so my female's fins have changed. Elongated anal fin towards the back. Closest to the caudal fin. Still female or maybe a chance of being male? I'll post a before pic from 3 weeks ago. The one posted on this post is from 2 days ago.
Lights106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #1185 
Lights106

Ok here it is.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #1186 
Lights106

This was from 3ish weeks ago?
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #1187 
sassyfriend

Well I had a little baby from Petco and I tried feeding him/her like the micropellot bag said to do. Goldie seemed ok for a little while and then she died.

Have no idea what went wrong. Never had a baby before.
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #1188 
TheOnlyCanvas

Okay. So I just moved my two males into a divided 20 gal with some mystery snails and went to a local PetCo to use a coupon. I left with food for the snails, root tabs, 7 ghost shrimp, and this little baby.

It was the smallest out of the four they had (just about an inch... so under two months? I think?) and I don't know if it's a baby thing or not, but its gills are really red, which worries me. I have it settling into Arthur's old 2.5 gallon with the temp set to 80 or so.

Anyone have any advice? I'm not sure if I can get this little one to maturity, but it's super active and seems to like me, so here's hoping!
Attached Images

Last edited by TheOnlyCanvas; 06-27-2013 at 07:07 PM.
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #1189 
Shadyr

I have to feed mine micro pellets - the normal betta pellets, even the NLS are still too big.

Super clean warm water, stresscoat, and regular feedings (several per day for a baby) are your best bet. The first baby I got was just too far gone and did not make it. The one I have now was in a bit better shape to begin, and *so far* is thriving. Since you say yours is active, that's a good sign!

The gills could be ammonia, but since the ones at that age are so transparent anyway, it could also just be that you can see the blood circulating there through the skin. Mine was similar when I got him, and 4 weeks later, his coloring is in and his body is completely opaque.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #1190 
kvw1988

TheOnlyCanvas, I think you'll be ok, the red gills seem to be a baby thing, mine was like that too, and he's okay. They really aren't too different from taking care of an adult, they just need to be fed a couple small meals throughout the day, and they do need more frequent water changes. I feed mine a total of 5 omega one pellets over the course of the day, I have to soak them in water for a minute first then cut them in half but mine loves them.
I agree with Shadyr, if yours is active that's a good sign, just remember the first day or so they may hide quite a bit just from getting used to their new home. Good luck!

Last edited by kvw1988; 06-28-2013 at 09:05 AM.
kvw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta