Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #1191 
Shadyr

TheOnlyCanvas, picture 2 tells me why you brought him home! That face, so "Save me!"

But that reminds me, picture time! Magic at 4 weeks post-purchase. I think I can definitely say "He" now - look at those fins - Anal and dorsal are now past the tail. It's hard to get a good picture. This is a good profile, but the color is so dark. He's a rich deep blue with teal and pink accents. Already a handsome double tail!

Name:  magic4w-1280.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  41.4 KB
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #1192 
TheOnlyCanvas

Yeah, I managed to think well enough on my feet when I purchased him/her yesterday that I bought micro pellets. S/he's just so darn tiny! I'll be purchasing (hopefully) live food after work tonight, if not I'll get some frozen. In the meantime, though s/he really seems to love the micro pellets - gobbles them right up as soon as I put them in the water!

Here's a video of him/her from last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RctxA...ature=youtu.be

The fake plant is atrocious looking, but it's soft and has lots of places to rest/hide in and s/he loves it. There's some java fern in there too, with a piece of IAL.

So far so good - baby seems to be thriving and is very curious. I'm seeing some red on the fins, which is exciting!

Thanks for the advice! I've gotten advice from a few people, and I'm much more confident now that I'm doing things right and that I may just be able to successfully raise this little one.

Last edited by TheOnlyCanvas; 06-28-2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: addt'l info
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #1193 
TheOnlyCanvas

Shadyr, what a beautiful fish! It's so exciting to see how they grow up!
Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #1194 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hey all, so I just caught up with this thread haha. But TheOnlyCanvas, the red gills is not a baby thing. It's only a PetCo baby "thing" because they sit in those cups all the time so they are much more susceptible to ammonia poisoning but nothing that frequent water changes and a good healthy diet won't help!

Also your baby looks to be only about 3-4 weeks old, might be one more week since they all have stunted growth from the cups.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #1195 
TheOnlyCanvas

Oh gosh, even younger than I thought :( I can't believe they sell them at that age.

I'm going to do my very best to get this baby healthy and happy!
Old 06-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #1196 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, it's not fair to them for sure but at least many of us who do take them home can give them good care
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #1197 
logisticsguy

Please do not take any of this the wrong way. Petco and other stores are selling babys way too young imo. Are they giving new owners a care sheet? A baby that size should be still eating new hatch bbs and many have not been weaned to start eating pellets. Babys require pristine water and if in a small cup water must be changed 100% every day. Also how are the stores keeping the water at 78-82f? Many are emaciated in the stores which leaves the door open for low immunity to bacteria. It just hurts to see many of these little guys compromised even before the new owner takes them home. My fear is that many will die and the new owner blames themselves. There is also a social aspect. Juvi fry play by chasing each other having play fights ect. They think they compete for food when in the spawn and eat everything in sight just so the others do not get food. Alone without completion they seem to lose that drive and eat less. Many stores also do not even feed the babies frozen foods. It takes me some time to give juvi betta in the 6-8 week stage a comfortable food change over to pellets. If you do have a baby betta try nls grow and if not eating well you could make your own new hatch bbs. Its not that hard.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #1198 
Shadyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyCanvas View Post
Here's a video of him/her from last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RctxA...ature=youtu.be

The fake plant is atrocious looking, but it's soft and has lots of places to rest/hide in and s/he loves it. There's some java fern in there too, with a piece of IAL.
Your baby looks inquisitive and perky in that video - and since it is eating, I bet it will be fine! I love the way bettas zip forward, pause, examine, zip, pause, examine - they are such quirky fish!

I've taught Magic to jump and nip my finger to get fed. Yes, stupid betta tricks 101 He is a natural jumper anyway, I see him leap over plant leaves at the surface all the time. Which also worries me...he will need a secure full hood.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #1199 
TheOnlyCanvas

Logisticsguy I totally agree with you. I shudder to think how many stunted, sick, freezing and starving babies are sitting in PetCos right now. I have a hard time imagining how any breeder worth his salt would be willing to sell so young. I wish they wouldn't. But I figured if I could make just this one baby's life comfortable, it would be worthwhile. I can't save them all. But I can try to save this baby.
Also yes, s/he is pretty lively! And very curious! Always comes over to the glass when I watch and makes cute faces at me. I've decided to name him/her Phoenix, because there's a bot of red in its fins. I'm interested to see how s/he turns out.
And that's so cool! I've never tried to teach my fish tricks. I have great admiration for those who manage to train their fishies. They're smart, but stubborn!

Last edited by TheOnlyCanvas; 06-28-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #1200 
logisticsguy

One easy trick is "feeding time triple tap" I start when they are 2 weeks old. Before any live food is put in the tank I tap 3 times and wait until they all get to the top. After awhile I start waiting until they ALL get lined up to eat. Some fry will even start chasing late stragglers to the top. It makes it easier later on so the new owner doesn't have trouble any getting the fishes attention at feeding time. It can create great excitement. Its like "OMG he tapped! Did you hear that! He tapped! he really did" Race to the top.

Last edited by logisticsguy; 06-28-2013 at 04:01 PM.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta